SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shifting???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 10:30 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to put the new 06 tranny in the older models?
Old 07-05-07, 01:13 AM
John007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I am still a little newbish at all this shifting... I have been reading your comments and if I am getting this correct... if i am drive on the highway on "d" hitting 60 I can automaticlly shift to "4d" without stopping or anything or shift to "3d" is this correct??? Oh one more question I can do this on a 2003 sc430 right?
Old 07-05-07, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have 05 so it's the same as yours. yes, on the freeway i can go from d to 4 without letting go of the gas, it will just downshift to 4th so i can accel faster. same, i can put it to 3rd and the rpm just jumps high (as long as the computer figures it's doable it will let you, otherwise it will beep and doesn't let you "down shift")
Old 07-05-07, 10:40 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I often downshift when I'm in the mood to do more "spirited" driving. Of course, whenever I do, my wife always says something along the lines of "Oh Boy" or "Here we go again". :-)

I've always wondered through about what rominl said....I thought the shifter was a direct linkage to the transmission so, if I told it to drop into 3rd, it would go into 3rd, even if that meant over-revving the engine.

So, if I try to force it into a lower gear that would result in the engine over-revving, it won't go into the lower gear? Likewise, if I start out like in 2nd and punch it, will the throttle back off if I try and go over the red-line (rev limiter).

These are the kinds of questions that are very easy to answer by just experimenting so...if someone ELSE wants to loan me their car, I'd like to try it! :-)

FYI, I have a 2003 so I don't have the +/- option.
Old 07-05-07, 11:22 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn808
I never understood why manufactures make you press upwards to shift up. To me it seems more natural to pull back to shift up and push forward to shift down. Anyone else feel this way?

Originally Posted by bfigard
Seems backwards.

Reason racecars are backwards (pull back for +, push forward for -) is inertia of your arm. When you are standing on the brakes it is extremely unnatural (even difficult if braking at 3G's) to pull the lever backwards to downshift. Likewise, if you have several hundred horsees pulling you, not so intuitive to push the lever forward while your body is trying to keep up with the car.
I know the cars from two German companies are + back and - forward. Don't know of any other companies that do it correctly.
Old 07-05-07, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I often downshift when I'm in the mood to do more "spirited" driving. Of course, whenever I do, my wife always says something along the lines of "Oh Boy" or "Here we go again". :-)

I've always wondered through about what rominl said....I thought the shifter was a direct linkage to the transmission so, if I told it to drop into 3rd, it would go into 3rd, even if that meant over-revving the engine.

So, if I try to force it into a lower gear that would result in the engine over-revving, it won't go into the lower gear? Likewise, if I start out like in 2nd and punch it, will the throttle back off if I try and go over the red-line (rev limiter).

These are the kinds of questions that are very easy to answer by just experimenting so...if someone ELSE wants to loan me their car, I'd like to try it! :-)

FYI, I have a 2003 so I don't have the +/- option.
1) if you try to force it into a gear that will cause over-rev, it will beep you and not allow downshift all the way. for example if you are on freeway doing 80 and suddenly pull the shifter all the way to L, it will beep you.

2) and if say from start you force it in 2 and then gun it, it will shift from 1st to 2nd, and at the end of 2nd when it's red line, it will just bounce off the limter. it won't shift to 3rd and it won't blow your tranny/engine

just keep in mind how the sport shift works. it controls the HIGHEST gea that your car can be in. it is NOT to determine THE GEAR you are in. so if you put it in 3, that means you can be in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, depending on speed, your throttle, etc... but it will not get into 4th

so whoever tells you that if you put it in "3" and from stop, your car will start in 3rd gear, he/she is completely wrong