SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Homelink and garage door

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 01:47 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

On mine, I have to hold the button for a few seconds to get it to work except when the door is open.

The antenna is just a wire wrapped around the inside of the overhead light. It isn't an exceptionally good antenna, imo.

The homelink on my IS250 works quite a bit better, but that is in the mirror instead of the overhead light which is blocked by a piece of aluminum (the trim at the top of the window.)
Old 07-24-18, 02:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
On mine, I have to hold the button for a few seconds to get it to work except when the door is open.

The antenna is just a wire wrapped around the inside of the overhead light. It isn't an exceptionally good antenna, imo.

The homelink on my IS250 works quite a bit better, but that is in the mirror instead of the overhead light which is blocked by a piece of aluminum (the trim at the top of the window.)
Yes, not like remote fob the HL button does not act same. Unwind antenna wire and let the end hang down straight !1.5 ft. thru a opening. The aluminum piece maybe a heat sink for the lamp.
I put in LED bulb which does not generate any heat.. One guy on Youtube extend that antenna wire all the way toward front of garage to improve reception.
Old 07-24-18, 03:13 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Yes, not like remote fob the HL button does not act same. Unwind antenna wire and let the end hang down straight !1.5 ft. thru a opening. The aluminum piece maybe a heat sink for the lamp.
I put in LED bulb which does not generate any heat.. One guy on Youtube extend that antenna wire all the way toward front of garage to improve reception.
What I meant is that the overhead light is installed right up at the top of the roof, which is the curved piece of aluminum above your windshield. It will block the RF at any angle that would need to pass through that aluminum piece. This is likely why Lexus moved the homelink to the mirror in later models. The aluminum I am talking about is part of the body of the car.

It's not a very good design. Pulling the antenna out would help, but it would probably look quite ugly. The antenna should have been brought out to the window with a patch antenna (or the homelink put in the mirror or dash)

It is simply not installed in a very optimal place in the SC430

Old 07-24-18, 03:41 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Retroplay
What I meant is that the overhead light is installed right up at the top of the roof, which is the curved piece of aluminum above your windshield. It will block the RF at any angle that would need to pass through that aluminum piece. This is likely why Lexus moved the homelink to the mirror in later models. The aluminum I am talking about is part of the body of the car.

It's not a very good design. Pulling the antenna out would help, but it would probably look quite ugly. The antenna should have been brought out to the window with a patch antenna (or the homelink put in the mirror or dash)

It is simply not installed in a very optimal place in the SC430
I was refering to the GDO antenna. Regarding design of the HL location, I guess Lexus engineers tested it when they're designing it. Frequency being in VHF range full wave length of antenna is like little less
than 10cm due to velocity factor( RF energy traveling in the free air vs. on a conductor). So quarter wave length basic vertical antenna length will be ~1 inch which maybe on a small PCB as a trace. If it is the
case there is some possibility of cold solder joint.
Old 07-24-18, 10:51 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Turned out it was the GDO acting up. I closed and opened the garage door multiple times with two different remote controls and also got intermittent results. Sometimes it could open and close from the distant of 50 feet, sometimes I had to be close within few feet of the door for it to work. Installed the new battery to the remotes, didn’t help.
Long story short, finally I extended the GDO antenna wire by soldering a 10 inch, 22 gauge to it, and surprisingly, the damn thing worked !!!
I tested with the SC homelink and it consistently opened and closed the door from the distant of six feet away (that’s ok with me). Problem solved. Thank you, all.
Note: You must wait at least one minute after the door closed for the remotes (also the homelink) to open it.
Old 07-25-18, 11:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad that you got to the bottom of it
Old 07-26-18, 01:17 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Turned out it was the GDO acting up. I closed and opened the garage door multiple times with two different remote controls and also got intermittent results. Sometimes it could open and close from the distant of 50 feet, sometimes I had to be close within few feet of the door for it to work. Installed the new battery to the remotes, didn’t help.
Long story short, finally I extended the GDO antenna wire by soldering a 10 inch, 22 gauge to it, and surprisingly, the damn thing worked !!!
I tested with the SC homelink and it consistently opened and closed the door from the distant of six feet away (that’s ok with me). Problem solved. Thank you, all.
Note: You must wait at least one minute after the door closed for the remotes (also the homelink) to open it.
I have not heard of waiting one minute after the door is closed to open it again. It sounds like there is still something wrong.
google this issue and the brand name, see if anyone else has this problem.

Just for the heck of it have you installed new batteries in at least one remote?
I think you said you did.

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-30-18 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 11:38 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I’m really confused. I tested my remotes today and they worked as they should. My original Matin, my after market Promax opened and closed the garage door at the range of 50 feet, and surprisingly my SC homelink worked at the range of 20 feet, and best off all, they closed and opened the garage door without a minute wait. I guessed the extended antenna wire helped, but why it didn’t work yesterday, I have no clue.
Old 07-27-18, 07:30 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

I’m really confused. I tested my remotes today and they worked as they should. My original Matin, my after market Promax opened and closed the garage door at the range of 50 feet, and surprisingly my SC homelink worked at the range of 20 feet, and best off all, they closed and opened the garage door without a minute wait. I guessed the extended antenna wire helped, but why it didn’t work yesterday, I have no clue.
How about reprogramming HL using different memory location? It'll use different push button(in case button is intermittent caused by poor contact)
Old 07-27-18, 11:35 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Htony
How about reprogramming HL using different memory location? It'll use different push button(in case button is intermittent caused by poor contact)
I don’t think it is a contact issues. It has to do something with the transmitting and receiving of the signal since all three remotes acted the same. After I extended the antenna it’s better.
It’s OK now so I will not do anything until it acts up again and I will do something.
Old 07-27-18, 12:35 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

I don’t think it is a contact issues. It has to do something with the transmitting and receiving of the signal since all three remotes acted the same. After I extended the antenna it’s better.
It’s OK now so I will not do anything until it acts up again and I will do something.
That sounds like the problem is at GDO side.
Old 07-30-18, 02:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

how long was this going on?
was it all of a sudden or a gradual reduction in distance?
did your neighbors have this problem?

it could be RFI, Radio Frequency Interference from something in your home or a neighbor.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...5e4b0b7f2.html

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/319123

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-30-18 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 10:03 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70

how long was this going on?
was it all of a sudden or a gradual reduction in distance?
did your neighbors have this problem?

it could be RFI, Radio Frequency Interference from something in your home or a neighbor.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...5e4b0b7f2.html

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/319123

Thanks BGW for the reading. It’s quite interesting. My problem somewhat is little different, I could open the door, intermittently. I never paid attention to the GDO, always pulled the SC to within 5 feet and pushed the button. The problem surfaced probably from the beginning of the year, when the homelink only worked 30% to 50%, sometimes didn’t work at all.
Before I extended the antenna, with the remotes, it worked on and off (95% at a time with the OEM Matin @ 30-50 feet, 80% with the after market Promax @ 20-30 feet). For the SC homelink, it only worked at 50%, @ 1-3 feet or not working at all. After I extended the antenna, my homelink worked 90%@5-15 feet.
I left the LED Christmas lights on the garage, (too lazy to took them down), but they are disconnected from the power source. The only thing in the garage on the power is my battery tender, but it’s off when I pulled the SC out.
So, there must be something else in the garage that interferes with the signal, or it may be my sprinkler timer, but that thing was there 18 years.
What’s else? I don’t know. I’ll look.
Old 07-30-18, 10:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

In the first article, there was a device that had been there are long time and it began to cause interference.
it also interfered with four of his neighbors.

have you asked the neighbors if they are having issues...I am assuming you have houses around you.

the way they figured it out was to turn all of the circuits off except for the one the GDO was on...the problem went away, then he turned each circuit back on until the problem reappeared.

if the problem is RFI, it could be at your neighbors house...

By turning on the circuits one by one, the men determined that the culprit was a 24-volt transformer box in the basement for lights in Heinonen's yard.
He's had the transformer for four years; it's unclear why it just recently started interfering with the whole neighborhood's garage door openers.

I am only providing another possible reason and not saying it is why you are having this problem.

I have a funny story for you...so back in my Air Force days, we went out to Riverside, CA, March AFB. Our plane had 1000 watt UHF radios and they were constantly transmitting. Well the frequency we were using was close enough to the garage door frequency and guess what, no one for miles around could open their garage doors...after we left, they all started working again...and yes, it was in the local news and they blamed the USAF...

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-30-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 11:02 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70

I have a funny story for you...so back in my Air Force days, we went out to Riverside, CA, March AFB. Our plane had 1000 watt UHF radios and they were constantly transmitting. Well the frequency we were using was close enough to the garage door frequency and guess what, no one for miles around could open their garage doors...after we left, they all started working again...and yes, it was in the local news and they blamed the USAF...
Ha ! that's is a good and funny story.
Nah, I don't think my neighbors having the same problem. In fact, my neighbors keep the car outside and use the garage for storage.
No kidding, the left and the right from mine, the one across, and the one to the left of him, they all have their cars park outside.
I'll talk to them but I doubt that they know the answer.