SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Marshall Goldman - Legit or insane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 12:02 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Marshall Goldman - Legit or insane?

This place currently has two SC430s, one priced at $32,900, one priced at - wait for it - $49,900

The second one has 780 miles on it, which begs the question, was the original owner also on crack? Why would you spend $60K+ on a car, and park it for 16 years? And, to anyone fool enough to spend $50K on it, I would think every fluid, every gasket, and every piece of rubber on it will need to be changed before it can be driven. And then, you're going to drive it and lose tens of thousands of dollars instantly? Or, are you going to park it as well, and also lose tens of thousands of dollars anyway without the fun of driving it?

Maybe I'm the insane one......is this a rich person's problem, one which I surely don't understand?

EDIT: They actually have three SC's. The ones I mention above are 2002's, the third one is a 2004, 1830 miles for $47,900

Last edited by maarp; 07-25-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 12:37 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

The listings may be legit but to buy one at that price would be insane.
Old 07-25-18, 12:42 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not trying to rationalize the prices, but are those you listed in Canadian or US dollars?
Old 07-25-18, 12:58 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Not trying to rationalize the prices, but are those you listed in Canadian or US dollars?
Those are $US. There are links in the post for your viewing pleasure.
Old 07-25-18, 01:08 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
Those are $US. There are links in the post for your viewing pleasure.
I did not click on the links, thanks. EBay reaches a huge global audience so they may all get sold over time with price drops or not.

Last edited by sixonemale; 07-25-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 03:07 PM
Goldwinger
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Low mileage Sc that is not molested. That meaning ORIGINAL cars are starting to be collector cars. Any of these under 5k miles bring top dollar at the wholesale auto auction. That's the place where a dealer buys and sell. In April ( 2018) a 2002 with 1900 yes 1900 mile sold at auction to a dealer for 42k plus the auction house fees and transport fees. Closer to 46k just for the dealer to get her in the showroom. Move up to 30k miles and the price drop to about 28k. This is clean original cars. No mods no accidents
Old 07-26-18, 05:44 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Ok, so what do you do with it then? You can't drive it. So, you need to keep it for 20+ years until it becomes "collectible". At which point, you may or may not get your initial investment back. Better off putting your money into a retirement fund.

We've had this discussion ad nauseum on the Miata website that I frequent. IMHO, unless your car is an extremely rare edition, or it's 40 years old, all you're going to do is lose money by speculating in the collectible car market.
Old 07-26-18, 11:12 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

When I click on the links in the orininal post I see both listing have been removed. I offer this: recently another member and I were looking at a “newer pristine” SC which was also on eBay. After some correspondence with the “seller” we figured out through the inconsistencies in emails it was all fraudulent. So, my only thought here is buyer beware. If it seems unreasonable or too good to be true it probably is.
Old 07-26-18, 11:54 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Here's a fresh link direct to their website, bypassing eBay.
Old 07-26-18, 12:49 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Low mileage SC430s Are really expensive in Cleveland!!!
Old 07-26-18, 07:33 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

No surprise to me that a collector would pay $50k for a potentially collectable high end luxury sports car with 800 miles on it. A pristine SC430 with less than 1k miles is extremely rare as people tended to drive them at least a few times a year. That SC will almost certainly be purchased by a collector and very likely will never be driven. I have a good friend that collects vintage show bike quality motorcycles, some have less than 10 miles on them, first thing he does to most of them is drain all fluids and remove the battery.

Less than 30k mile SC430s are getting harder to find but still plenty are out there if one is patient.
Old 07-27-18, 04:38 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Jabberwock, I agree that a sample like this is extremely rare. However....

That 's a hell of an expensive gamble, to throw down $50K speculating that sometime in the distant future you will increase your investment. I would think that people that have that kind of cash laying around are smarter than that.

Look, I love my SC. But collectible cars are about emotions and nostalgia. The early Mustangs, even thought they made millions and were based on a Falcon, were an iconic car of the 60's. They've become collectible mostly due to the nostalgia of baby-boomers trying to recapture their youth. Porsches and Ferraris are in a different class, due to rarity and racing provenance. I really don't see the SC as a collectible car any more than a '77 Monte Carlo (the last of the big ones). For someone who's dad had one back in the day, they would be a joy. But that's a pretty limited audience.
Old 07-27-18, 04:40 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For the Absolutely Red one for $47,900 with 1831 miles it says "chromed alloy wheels." Are these aftermarket or were they an option or dealer option?

The $49,900 2002 with 780 miles also says "chromed alloy wheels" but those were the factory option ones right?

Last edited by ShellyGX; 07-27-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 03:04 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
Jabberwock, I agree that a sample like this is extremely rare. However....

That 's a hell of an expensive gamble, to throw down $50K speculating that sometime in the distant future you will increase your investment. I would think that people that have that kind of cash laying around are smarter than that.

Look, I love my SC. But collectible cars are about emotions and nostalgia. The early Mustangs, even thought they made millions and were based on a Falcon, were an iconic car of the 60's. They've become collectible mostly due to the nostalgia of baby-boomers trying to recapture their youth. Porsches and Ferraris are in a different class, due to rarity and racing provenance. I really don't see the SC as a collectible car any more than a '77 Monte Carlo (the last of the big ones). For someone who's dad had one back in the day, they would be a joy. But that's a pretty limited audience.
In the world of show qaulity cars and motorcycles the iconic models hold the highest value. But collectors also value pristine examples of lots of other types and models besides the split window Vettes and the 68 Dodge GTS. My buddy the motorcycle collector has around 35 show bikes that range from 90 cc to 1000cc and up. Some of them are relatively mundane (1972 Yamaha RD350, 1968 Honda 350) but have value becuse they are very low mile pristine or completely restored examples. btw - spending $50k for my collector friend is like spending $5 for me and I'm doing pretty well. While the SC was made in some pretty big numbers it could easily end being a class C or low class B collector car in the next 25 years or so, or not, it is very hard to predict. If I could predict, I'd have bought whatever demands highest prices today (at least 25-30 years ago) and made the big $$$.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-27-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 02:47 PM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hard to believe

I have a 2003 with 106K with a few nicks and scratches but a record of every service required and the results/repairs with no accidents or spot paint and I'm hard pressed to get $10K. If it wasn't so expensive to paint, I'd paint it and keep it for another 100k!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
LEXUS 430.xlsx (12.1 KB, 49 views)

Quick Reply: Marshall Goldman - Legit or insane?