SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Instrument Cluster Mod - 02-05 MY

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 01:43 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Mod - 02-05 MY

Just wanted to start this thread to detail my work on modifying the instrument cluster for pre-2006 SC430s. As we know, prior to 2006, the cluster is quite dim compared to later models. I picked up a spare cluster to reverse engineer in order to determine a way to make it brighter and more attractive.

Beyond just brightening, I have a few ideas to make it more modern looking. I am only beginning, so I will go over those ideas as I get further along. But first, I wanted to show why our clusters are so dim.

As you can see, our dials are illuminated from LEDs which are only around the needle. These LED light the needle and the numbers. The clear plastic diffusers are under the numbers of the gauges and act like light pipes, but they are far away from the LED. Simply replacing the LED isn't going to work because that LED is already the brightest you can find. Now we add the gauges faces and they have a somewhat thick backing to them which further reduces the light. In order to brighten this cluster, we will need to somehow add lighting closer to the numbers.

This is the plastic shroud that goes between the PCB and those clear diffusers. The gauge faces then go on top of the diffusers.

Notice on the right hand side, there is a spot for some type of display that isn't present on our cars. Also, if you don't have the compass option, you probably don't recognize the triangular display in the middle. Our gauge faces just block the top have of the LCD which would show the compass directions if we had that option. The purpose of the display on the right hand side is unknown. There are some missing components on the PCB including an IC that would interface to that LCD. So either this cluster is repurposed from another model Toyota or Lexus or Lexus originally had something in mind for it.

This is it for now. I need to finish a project for another member here before I can really dive into this, but I have some neat ideas I plan to experiment with on this cluster. I will probably try a few different ways of increasing the brightness, including looking at some EL lighting options. I will be reading out the contents of the EEPROM on the cluster which stores the trip details and the odometer and who knows what else.

I will also be putting together an emulator to drive the cluster in order to help me with my experiments. Stay tuned!
The following 3 users liked this post by Retroplay:
Bgw70 (07-30-18), Jabberwock (07-29-18), JDaveSC430 (07-28-18)
Old 07-28-18, 02:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

As always Retroplay comes up with the most intriguing ideas and projects for our older SC’s.
Old 07-28-18, 05:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Just wanted to start this thread to detail my work on modifying the instrument cluster for pre-2006 SC430s. As we know, prior to 2006, the cluster is quite dim compared to later models. I picked up a spare cluster to reverse engineer in order to determine a way to make it brighter and more attractive.

Beyond just brightening, I have a few ideas to make it more modern looking. I am only beginning, so I will go over those ideas as I get further along. But first, I wanted to show why our clusters are so dim.

As you can see, our dials are illuminated from LEDs which are only around the needle. These LED light the needle and the numbers. The clear plastic diffusers are under the numbers of the gauges and act like light pipes, but they are far away from the LED. Simply replacing the LED isn't going to work because that LED is already the brightest you can find. Now we add the gauges faces and they have a somewhat thick backing to them which further reduces the light. In order to brighten this cluster, we will need to somehow add lighting closer to the numbers.

This is the plastic shroud that goes between the PCB and those clear diffusers. The gauge faces then go on top of the diffusers.

Notice on the right hand side, there is a spot for some type of display that isn't present on our cars. Also, if you don't have the compass option, you probably don't recognize the triangular display in the middle. Our gauge faces just block the top have of the LCD which would show the compass directions if we had that option. The purpose of the display on the right hand side is unknown. There are some missing components on the PCB including an IC that would interface to that LCD. So either this cluster is repurposed from another model Toyota or Lexus or Lexus originally had something in mind for it.

This is it for now. I need to finish a project for another member here before I can really dive into this, but I have some neat ideas I plan to experiment with on this cluster. I will probably try a few different ways of increasing the brightness, including looking at some EL lighting options. I will be reading out the contents of the EEPROM on the cluster which stores the trip details and the odometer and who knows what else.

I will also be putting together anulator to drive the cluster in order to help me with my experiments. Stay tuned!
There is a forum vendor I think that re works these clusters and claims he can brighten them I am pretty sure you have seen his post reff a group price on doing this. You are now saying that there are limitations to improving the lighting I would like to get my 2005 brighter. I was waiting for someone in our group to have that mod done before I invest in it.
Old 07-28-18, 07:52 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

It's great having Retroplay back. And VVTiBob's back too. Now, if only we could convince Habious to return....
Old 07-28-18, 08:34 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you build it Habious will come