SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

B 0106 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 12:40 PM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B 0106 code

Hi everyone, so my Lexus is at an age that is going to start giving me problems. Thank God I love her. My airbag light came on a while ago, at first it was blinking and then it came on and stayed on, my air conditioner just started blowing warm, and my check engine light has been on. I took it to my local Lexus dealer and it came back with a B-0106 code. They told me it was a srs sensor and would be $1600.00 to repair. Needless to say i told them don't fix it. I did a search for sensors and they look to be around $60-80.00 for the sensor. My question is Has anyone replaced a sensor? Is it hard? dangerous? I was also told that the condenser was bad and that was 1200.00, I didn't have that repaired, I have another mechanic doing it for 500.00. and the check engine light they said could be as simple as a gasket for the gas cap to who knows what so they have no solution for that. Thanks for your help on the srs sensor.
Old 08-08-18, 01:09 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 490 Likes on 409 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Mind if I ask you a few more questions about your problems? Did they tell you specifically it was a sensor? If so, did they tell you what sensor it was? Based on the code, it sounds like there might be something wrong with your passenger side airbag. You maybe in luck, since the passenger side airbag was recalled in the SC430. Do you know if they did the recall on your car?

If you could tell us specifically what the dealer wrote on your receipt, that would help immensely. The same goes for what I am about to write, if you can tell us the code the dealer gave you about the gas cap, that would help also.

As far as your check engine light being on; it is possible it is your gas cap, but most likely it is a broken rubber hose in the engine bay, You can fix it yourself for about a 79 cents. Check out this post. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-p0446-2.html
Old 08-08-18, 05:48 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Check engine on could mean gas cap and also mean O2 sensor. Replacement of the O2 sensor is costly. Try the gas cap first.
The following users liked this post:
lisarich15 (08-09-18)
Old 08-09-18, 03:56 AM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

This is what it says. Cause: FAILED SRS CONTROL UNIT CAUSED B0106 OPEN IN P SQUIB CIRCUIT TO SET LED TO SRS LIGHT ON.
Correction: CONFIRMED SRS LIGHT AND PERFORMED VEHICLE HEALTH CHECK. FOUND B0106 CODE STORED IN SYSTEM AS CURRENT AND HISTORY CODE. PERFORMED FAULT TRACING AS PER SRS DIAGNOSTICS 05-561- 05-563. CONFIRMED FAILED CONTROL MODLE. GUEST DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME. EST TO REPLACE SENSOR ASSY $1521.50 + TAX AND RECHECK SYSTEM TO CONFIRM NO OTHER FAULTS
Old 08-09-18, 09:42 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lisarich15
This is what it says. Cause: FAILED SRS CONTROL UNIT CAUSED B0106 OPEN IN P SQUIB CIRCUIT TO SET LED TO SRS LIGHT ON.
Correction: CONFIRMED SRS LIGHT AND PERFORMED VEHICLE HEALTH CHECK. FOUND B0106 CODE STORED IN SYSTEM AS CURRENT AND HISTORY CODE. PERFORMED FAULT TRACING AS PER SRS DIAGNOSTICS 05-561- 05-563. CONFIRMED FAILED CONTROL MODLE. GUEST DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME. EST TO REPLACE SENSOR ASSY $1521.50 + TAX AND RECHECK SYSTEM TO CONFIRM NO OTHER FAULTS
So I think you are on the right track. It sounds like it is the SRS Control module. It is $1100 dollars new https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...170-24060.html After you figure in the labor, you would be right at $1500

You can buy one on ebay for about $75 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...24060&_sacat=0

Like all my posts, This is just my opinion. This is nothing you want to bet your life on. You should only consider it an opinion. But here is my thought... The airbag system is a self check system. It runs a diagnostic every time you start your car. If you spend the $75 and put it in yourself, you are paying less than a service call to the dealer. If the module solves the problem the SRS light will go off. If it doesn't solve the problem, you put your old one back in. Just make sure the part number on both modules match.
lisarich15 (08-09-18)
Old 08-09-18, 10:14 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

First and foremost ANY maintenance on the airbag component MUST be done with the battery disconnected for a minimum of 90 seconds BEFORE any work is done. These are dangerous devices.

As Daryl mention the 106 error code DTC refers to the passenger airbag up on the dashboard/Instumment panel. (there was a recall of.)The first thing you need to do is find out if the recall work was performed on your car. You can do that by either talking to a dealer, or checking the service history of the car at driver’s.lexus.com website. If the work was done, then when? Is a warranty applicable. This seems odd to me.

The error code points to three potential trouble areas: an open circuit in the ‘P’ wire harness, airbag sensor assembly center or the airbag squib itself. The squib can be damaged by inappropriate installation techniques

lisarich15 (08-09-18)
Old 08-09-18, 12:46 PM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

First, thank you everyone for trying to help. I looked on the website to try and view vehicle history but could not figure it out. So I'm going to call the dealership. Could someone tell me where I would locate this sensor in my vehicle that Lexus is stating is bad?

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-18, 12:50 PM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

Just called Lexus and the airbag recalled was preformed back in 2014
Old 08-09-18, 01:57 PM
VVTiBob

The airbag sensor assembly center is located deep in the center console. To get to you have to remove nearly everything from the air conditioning control panel down.
lisarich15 (08-09-18)
Old 08-09-18, 04:02 PM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

Now I understand the price, is there any dangers of me doing this myself? I don't want an airbag to deploy on me after doing it lol
Old 08-09-18, 05:16 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

you can read these instructions from an airbag site https://www.myairbags.com/product/ai...odule-reset-3/
Old 08-09-18, 11:27 PM
VVTiBob

It’s doable IF you follow the safety protocols TO THE LETTER. With that said first....I also add sometimes engineers “overthink” the number of steps necessary to reach and/or remove a component. The steps listed in the graphic in my previous posts may be what they believe is necessary. But not necessarily all steps may be needed.

Since I’ve never completely removed the center console I don’t know if it really needs to come out entirely to get to, disconnect, remove the SRS controller and then reinstall a new component.
Old 10-18-18, 08:19 AM
lisarich15
Driver School Candidate

Sorry so long to get back< i am currently looking to replace the module for the air bags and while I was under the console I figured I would disconnect the tire TPMS light. I read the forum on how to do it I just want to make sure it the right one, on the module box it reads ABS is this the right box? Also the box right below that module looks like the air bag sensor, would that be correct?
Old 10-18-18, 11:48 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Last week, my TPMS light came on. Checked tire pressure, in cool temperature I found the passenger front little under. Inflated to 33psi, the light went off. Two days later, the stupid light came on again. Checked all tires pressure, everything were in spec. Figured out the sensor(s) might be bad, I used Techstream to find out which one. You know what? I could not, my software version did not have that option (?). So I played around with Techstream, and honestly I did not remember what I did, but the light went off and stayed off.
Ha, I must disable or reset the TPMS some how. So friends, you don’t have to unplug the connector, you can disable the TPMS by using Techstream.
Old 10-19-18, 10:53 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lisarich15
Sorry so long to get back< i am currently looking to replace the module for the air bags and while I was under the console I figured I would disconnect the tire TPMS light. I read the forum on how to do it I just want to make sure it the right one, on the module box it reads ABS is this the right box? Also the box right below that module looks like the air bag sensor, would that be correct?
I have never done it, but from the stickie, I found this picture

I also don't know if that is the SRS module under the tpms box, but if it is, I wonder if you can take out the radio, the TPMS and then access the module.

If so, that sounds pretty easy