SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suggestions for SUV to go with my SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03 | 12:42 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexPro
Has anyone heard of the Lexus HPX?
Yes i've heard of such a beast but will we see it soon that is the big question..

As for the FX35/45 I love the styling but the beltline is kind of high so visibility side to side is tough.. Overall though a great companion for the SC430.. Wish I had the funds to swing that as a daily driver.. Right now I am using a '03 Protege 5 (Don't laugh) it is a great little car with enough room to suit my needs as a daily driver for work and the new house.. Plus it sips gas and looks kinda cool..
Old 07-21-03 | 01:51 PM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

Well, I thought that I'd add my two cents to this discussion so here goes: When we're not driving our 2002 SC430, my wife and I drive our 1999 Isuzu Trooper (which followed a 1993 Trooper that we had owned). Because we live on the East Coast (Maryland), a vehicle that can also slosh through rain, snow and slush is a must. The Trooper is NOT a luxury SUV, but it is a very dependable SUV. I travel a lot in my work and I rent a lot of vehicles when I travel. Another SUV that I have become impressed with is the 2003 Ford Explorer.
Old 07-21-03 | 02:15 PM
Tjz
Driver

Figured I would toss my 2 cents in as well.

My other car is an FX35. It is just the right size for my wife and I. I am a big guy and I am comfortable and she is petite and she is not afraid to drive it.

The FX is pretty fast and a great susp. if you don't mind the harshness. I felt that the FX 35 with the v6 was plenty fast for me. I am not even sure I noticed the difference between the 35 and 45.

It has lots of toys and pretty good service and reliability from Infiniti.

Plenty of room for my wife and I and our Golden and a weeks worth of luggage.

Lots of good discussion at www.freshalloy.com .

Hasta.

TjZ
Old 07-21-03 | 02:24 PM
cdawg
Rookie

Just to throw in here:

The wife decided last year she was tired of the minivan thing so we went looking. We looked at the LX470 (the GX wasn't out yet) and a few other and we ended up with an Acura MDX. It has been a phenomenal automobile. Richly appointed and styling that continues to grow on me. We added two chrome sidesteps to fill out the profile and give the kids a place to step into the thing. It's a certified 'green' vehicle and gets decent gas mileage from the 240 (260 on the new one)hp V6. The nav is better I think than the Lexus but that's a personal preference. Good luck.
Old 07-21-03 | 02:54 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

My wifes car is an Infiniti G35 Sedan and my daily driver/pack mule/no worry where I park car is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (lowered with Eibachs, American Racing alloy wheels and a front strut tower brace. Hey, I had to modify SOMETHING, right?
Old 07-21-03 | 03:07 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

My daily driver is an LS430. My wife's daily driver is an SC430. I recently bought an '04 Sienna XLE, primarily for my wife to use when she needs to haul more than 1 passenger or a lot of stuff. She loves the Sienna. Unless you have a need for "off roading", I'd highly recommend it as an alternative to an SUV. I think the Sienna offers as much "sport" as any of the Lexus SUVs, and a lot more "utility".
Old 07-21-03 | 03:13 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Here is my SUV/SAV suggestion.

Our other car is a BMW X5 4.4. We have had it for just under a year now and I love it. I would suggest that you take a look at that as well. Its got an excellent ride maybe a little rough. But that is a product of the tire package. Excellent power and I think it would out handle my SC430 if given the chance..

Excellent addition to my stable...Just a thought
Old 07-21-03 | 06:31 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Default Just a concept

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...9/page011.html

Neat, but no production plans. I still like the FX45 better. Meaner, more HP.
Old 07-21-03 | 07:35 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

stevelaw,

Why not consider a Toyota Land Cruiser?? You get the same engine and room as an LX 470 for less cost. Maybe just slightly more than a GX?? My LX is a road warrior and it rides GREAT. I went with my mother in law and drove the Toyota Sienna. Man, those are damn nice!!! I know a minivan makes most males shiver, but your wife would drool all over it!!! I think we've all mentioned about every SUV there is now. Good luck.

Doc C
Old 07-21-03 | 07:55 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Stevelaw:Winter car in Alabama?

Steve;
My use of the word "winter" is a bit of a misnomer. We use the LS 430 whenever the weather is such that we cannot put the top down on the SC 430. Whenever we use the SC 430 the top is "DOWN". If we can't put the top down we drag out the LS 430.
You are correct, the last time I saw snow here was a morning in January 1984.
Take a peek at the 4-Runner Limited.
Ron
Old 07-22-03 | 09:08 AM
dsimo
Driver

The BMW X5 4.4 w/o the sport package would be my choice if luggage capacity wasn't a concern. If you're looking for space, I think it's tough to beat the Honda Pilot or Acura MDX. However, the styling of the Pilot is a little blah, and the MDX is a little feminine (IMHO), but that shouldn't be an issue if it's your wife's vehicle.

Back in 2000 I was looking for an "SUV" and ended up purchasing a BMW 528 Touring--I was looking for utility, not 4WD. Of course, then I couldn't stand carrying "junk" in my new BMW so I purchased a used high-mileage Montero (which has performed excellently).

SInce purchasing my SC430 I've had the opportunity to drive the RX300 (not a 330) as a loaner, and I was highly impressed. Before driving it I wouldn't have even considered it because of its styling, but, I personally preferred it to driving our BMW, and as I'm sure you know, you can't beat Lexus reliability.

I think the styling of the Inifinitis is very attractive, but I'm wondering how well they will age. Also, they seem a bit small, and I've read that the ride of the FX45 is punishing.

Have you considered the Volvo XC90?
Old 07-22-03 | 11:15 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Default Not on the list?

What about the Acura MDX?
From what I've heard, it's nicely refined, ample space, and a good ride.
Not bad lookin', either.
Old 07-22-03 | 12:55 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default update

Thanks for the suggestions. My wife seems to have her heart set on the Lexus. I had her take a look at the other suggested vehicles (Acura and Infinity), but the only alternative she's interested in is the Lexus LS430, and I'm not ready to spring the additional $$ for one of those babies.

I'm in the process of trying to negotiate a price on one (Tampa dealership versus a South Fla dealership). Unfortunately she wants a white one, which is a new color and difficult to find (i.e. I could get a better deal on any other color).

EGADS, I'm starting to sound pretty whipped!!! Actually, just a nice guy (although there are some opposing attorneys and their clients who probably would tell you something different) who likes to keep his wife happy.

Thanks again for the input
Old 07-22-03 | 12:58 PM
dsimo
Driver

One more thought....what about the VW Touareg (sp?)? I've read excellent reviews on it, noting that it is quite a bargain when considering content.

By the way, after living with my Montero, a couple of things that I'd look for in my next SUV are: (1) must fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood; (2) must have a tailgate (as opposed to a swinging door).

Good luck!
Old 07-22-03 | 06:15 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Steve: Your decision please!

Steve;
Now that we have all opined. We would appreciate you posting which vehicle you chose.
Thanks
Ron

Quick Reply: Suggestions for SUV to go with my SC430?