SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Now what.....RUST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 06:58 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now what.....RUST!!!

Okay, Yesterday I did a FIVE HOUR detailing. Washed with dawn 2 times, clayed the car with clay magic, used Meguiar's Scratch X on the whole car to get rid of imperfections, used One Grand OmegaGlaze to polish and fill in defects and then waxed with One Grand Blitz Wax. By the time I was done it was dark. I got to work early this morning and used a towel from the trunk to get the edges of door and trunk that still had some wax residue when I found a patch of RUST on the driver's side edge of the trunk lid 7x3 mm is size. This car isn't even a year old yet! I've never had a new car rust, especially on the edge of the trunk by the tail light. I don't even know how I got a chip their. I'll see what the Lexus dealership says when I bring it in for it's 10,000 mile service tomorrow. Let's hope they don't treat this like they did the door buzz.

Fulmitz
Old 07-21-03, 08:51 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bummer... maybe a rock chip or something ???

Let us know what happens!
Old 07-21-03, 06:39 PM
fulmitz
Driver

I took the car in this afternoon and ran into my original salesman. He said the car is made to "rust over" instantly to "create a protective barrier" and prevent further damage to the underlying metal. WHAT? Is he a moron? I guess that's why he sells cars for a living and I am a doctor. I took enough chemistry to know that once metal rusts it spreads and that the oxidizes it continues to eat through the metal, unless all my professors during my long educational career lied to me. Anyway, I'll see what they do with that. No word on my door buzz yet.

Fulmitz
Old 07-21-03, 09:06 PM
MagusFuria
Pole Position

Well, there are a few certain metals such as aluminum and titanium whose "rust" actually does form a protective barrier. For aluminum/titanium etc., oxidation will form and bond strongly on the surface so it will not flake off easily like iron oxide would. However I don't know what kind of metal or alloy that part of the car is so I don't know what could be going on there. Despite the possibility of the salesman being right, I don't think he intentionally knew what he was talking about. Despite all that, best of luck getting this thing resolved.

Jesse
Old 07-27-03, 09:24 PM
fulmitz
Driver

well, they took care of it alright. They just covered it up with touch up paint! I'm guessing the removed the rust first with a file but I doubt it as the sized of the mark is still easily seen and it appears the same with no roughed up edges and you can tell touch up was just dabbed on. Very disappointed so far with Lexus craftsmanship. I was expecting a GREAT DEAL MORE considering the pricetag and their Ad campaigns.

Fulmitz