SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stripped Bolt Head; Pie Purgatory!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 06:15 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a tap set, right?
Does anyone know what the torque spec for these bolts is?
Old 09-05-18, 06:26 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by MH6878
That's a tap set, right?
Does anyone know what the torque spec for these bolts is?
there are no taps listed in this thread.

the tool in the pic above this one is a T driver

The OP showed himself using an easyout to extract the stripped hex head bolt.
Old 09-05-18, 07:13 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got it, Bgw70. He put an easyout on the handle .
These bolts need to be torqued down in a star pattern. Otherwise, some bolts will become over tightened.
Old 09-05-18, 09:06 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was using both types of tools, the standard allen wrench and the socket type allen driver with my 3/8" ratchet.
Good point on the fit! I believe there was a tiny bit of play using the metric size so will have to try the imperial to see if it's any tighter.
I have tried the tap and heat method on other stuck screws/bolts but am hesitant in this instance because of the lack of clearance and am scared of melting the plastic.
Those cap screws are on tight! I could hear an audible "snap" when it released.
Tomorrow is a new day with more time to play! :+)
Old 09-06-18, 12:48 PM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Yes, they are metric...I think the only thing non-metric on our cars is the spark plug socket.
I use 16mm on the sparkplugs; works fine.

Cheers,
Johan
Old 09-06-18, 07:09 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Default Stripped Bolt Head; Pie Purgatory!

I believe the cap screws are 8mm x 1.25 standard thread, 16 mm long.
An M8 x 16 hex bolt is basically the same size.
I used the #5 allen driver, this was the best fit unless there is a 5.5 available?
The driver is harder than the screw material and unfortunately the screw head strips easily.

Last edited by Pep59; 09-07-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: wrong tool size, should be 5, not 6
Old 09-07-18, 01:08 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep59
I used the #5 allen driver, this was the best fit unless there is a 5.5 available?
They do make a 5.5
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-07-18, 01:16 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

anytime you do a job, reward yourself with a new tool using the money you just saved...soon you will have an awesome toolbox!

That's my philosophy! It is easier for me to buy a tool than it is to pay someone to do the work.

Even though I post Harbor Freight listings a lot, I would never use them for my everyday tools. They are more of a one and done tool set. But a lot of the problems we come across are a once in a lifetime issue, so it is a good match. After all, how many times do you think you are going to take off pie plate hubcaps and replace them with spiders?

I personally use a Husky by Home Depot socket set or a tiny 1/4 Craftsman socket set. The craftsman is so small I store it in my car. It is easily accessible, takes care of 80% of the things I need and I can get the job done quick. If it is a job that takes serious torque, then I break out my full size Husky Set

Old 09-07-18, 02:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
That's my philosophy! It is easier for me to buy a tool than it is to pay someone to do the work.

Even though I post Harbor Freight listings a lot, I would never use them for my everyday tools. They are more of a one and done tool set. But a lot of the problems we come across are a once in a lifetime issue, so it is a good match. After all, how many times do you think you are going to take off pie plate hubcaps and replace them with spiders?

I personally use a Husky by Home Depot socket set or a tiny 1/4 Craftsman socket set. The craftsman is so small I store it in my car. It is easily accessible, takes care of 80% of the things I need and I can get the job done quick. If it is a job that takes serious torque, then I break out my full size Husky Set
Really, you don’t like the Harbor Freight cheap stuff?
i love it because you can usually tell if it has any quality at the store.

for example, they sell a cheap roll around work stool for like $15...the wheels suck but the rest of it is awesome, I just picked up better wheels from them when they were on sale.

i also have a couple of brad and staple nailers from them...they do the job but not at the big name price...

electric impact was fine for most jobs...

ratchets, sockets screw drivers, just fine.

i still purchase name brand but will always give a Harbor Freight a chance! I shop by the reviews...folks will let you know if it sucks!
Old 09-07-18, 03:03 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had inexpensive tools that weren't cheap tools, also ones that were cheap. I've had expensive tools that were cheap tools, and ones that were great tools. My best example is a 22 pc. Set of mastercraft pro screwdrivers. I've had them 26 years. I sold my snap on set a long time ago, because I never used them. The mastercraft pro ones were just much better in every way. The only socket I ever broke was a Mac tool socket. Price isn't always a indicator of quality. Now don't ask me to give up my expensive ratchets. No cheap ratchet has compared to them. Tooth count, smoothness, balance, strength, they just excel in all of those areas.
Old 09-07-18, 06:24 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

ratchets, sockets screw drivers, just fine.

i still purchase name brand but will always give a Harbor Freight a chance! I shop by the reviews...folks will let you know if it sucks!

If I have a choice between Harbor Freight and Harbor Freight PRO tools, I always go with the PRO version.

When I first started fixing stuff, I was in a vicious circle. I would think, I am not a professional so I don't need expensive tools. I would buy cheap tools and end up rounding off the head of a bolt, or fighting with my ratchet. It would end up with bloody knuckles, extra time to do stuff and sometimes having to hire people to cleanup my mistakes.

Then I started hanging out with a guy who had decent tools and would teach me stuff along the way. He didn't have the same problems I had. So I stared buying the tools he bought. I had less problems and got more stuff fixed.

So it still comes down to the question; Was it the quality of the tools or was it because he taught me how to fix stuff better?

P.S. The Harbor Freight tools of today are WAAAAAAAAY better than they were 10 years ago
Old 09-07-18, 10:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

I agree with Daryl, Chinese made stuff are much better than they were, but come to tools like hammers, ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, I’d stick with the good brands. I bought my set of Craftman tools, 99 pieces, included sockets, screwdrivers, ratchets, vise grips, etc...for 99 bucks, back in 1980, and have been using them ever since. They’re still in my tool chest today. I don’t work on car anymore, for one I don’t have time, and two, I don’t have the strength as I used to. I still fix small things around the house, but car, I’ll take her to the mechanic.
Luckily, I own the Lexus.
Old 09-08-18, 08:59 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the last of the 15 cap screws off tonight!
Jabberwock's suggestion to tap the cap screws was adjusted slightly.
I put a flat punch that just fit inside the hex opening of each cap screw and smacked each one 5 to 15 times...hard!
Every remaining cap screw was loosened enough in this manner to be removed with the 5 mm allen key.
I had stripped two more heads and was also able to easily remove them with my easy out; no drilling!

Key learning if you are thinking of changing out your wheel covers....try to remove the cap screws FIRST!
Also, even though I sprayed a lot of penetrating oil on the cap screws, I don't think much/ any reached the threads since I still had the wheels on the car.
The 5 mm allen driver/key worked but is NOT a really tight fit but I am at a loss to suggest the correct size.

It was too dark to take a good picture, one will follow in the next few days.
Thanks again to all for the suggestions and advice.

ps...I have also used Craftsman and Mastercraft hand tools for many years; good value!
Old 09-09-18, 07:54 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Glad to see that you got your stuck bolt problems resolved! Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 09-09-18, 09:09 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

WAY TO GO and WAY TO PROBLEM SOLVE!

P.S. Sorry we hijacked your post to talk about tools

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 09-09-18 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Stripped Bolt Head; Pie Purgatory!