SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

P1349 Code Persists /w new OCV VVT-i Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 05:17 PM
migoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
When I wrote "air/fuel intake," I wasn't referring to air-fuel mixture. The variable cam timing determines the best timing for the intake of the engine (air and fuel) to maximize performance and minimize emissions. With the lag you are experiencing during acceleration, one might suspect a glitch in the variable cam timing (VVTi), or even the acoustic control induction system (ACIS) (basically a system that changes the length of the intake manifold to maximize low-end torque and power throughout the RPM range).

Hopefully, someone else on CL has seen this code before and can advise you of where to look next. I don't have any experience with this failure, so, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Generally, I suggest you check both the VVTi and ACIS systems to ensure all your connections to all your components, both vacuum and electrical, looking for poor connections and/or leaks. Low oil pressure, dirty oil, or oil of the wrong viscosity can also affect your valve timing.

BTW...Yes, you have ample evidence the belt has been changed!
Don’t be sorry I haven’t gotten many responses and urs has been the most detailed so far so thank you.

U mentioned a problem with the vvt cam do u happen to know if the cam gear goes bad on these cars I have looked around and it seems there’s veryyyy few people to mention it but one thread on some website mentioned that the cam gears were a problem , I don’t know how to problem solve that or diagnose them so if you do that would help.

I have only seen one other thing about the acis and I thought that would be a separate problem/different code can what is it exactly and if I’m not wrong isn’t it in the back of the engine, would I get a different code for it and how could I diagnose if it was bad.

speeking of vac leaks I did notice the air intake had a large hose missing going into the valve cover but I left it since it’s just a breather and put a filter on I couldn’t imagine it would need to be on there since it’s not vacuum its just a breather am I wrong?

thanks yea i just dont know how long its been since its been done so if i end up replaceing the cam gear im going to do the timing belt and everything along with it while im in there.

and here’s a pic of the cam gear im referring to