SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

P1349 Code Persists /w new OCV VVT-i Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 02:41 PM
dankwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1349 Code Persists /w new OCV VVT-i Solenoid

So I threw the ever popular Bank 1 code for OCV or VVT-i oil control valve (OCV). Replaced the valve and was good for about 20 miles, then the light came back on. From my understanding the only two things left are timing is off & cam position sensor is bad. I cannot find any information on the 3UZ-FE OCV filter using search here (or Google) so I am assuming it does not have one? Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-21-18, 04:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus, I hope we can assist.

I should probably be looking at the top of the engine but I am just not sure.
the service manual does not list code P1349 so there are no troubleshooting steps.
BTW, my manuals are for a 2003 SC430.
here are some pics of the lower half of the engine.
let me know what you need and I will attempt to help.
i am guessing this is an SC430 but it could be an LS430 or GS430
please provide more info about your car.

year
model
mileage
timing belt status, changed?

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-21-18 at 05:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dankwood (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 05:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Watch this video...same engine as the SC430

here is the VVT from Rockauto...about $60...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...actuator,12910
The following users liked this post:
dankwood (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 02:03 PM
dankwood
Driver School Candidate

Thank for you attempt to assist me with this issue BGW70. I did indeed purchase the replacement part ULTRA-POWER 917293 {#153400F010, 1534050010, 1534050011} from Rock Auto and replaced the driver side OCV just as your video describes for the P1349 code. I appreciate the insight from your service manual; I'm still baffled at this moment. The timing belt history I'm not sure of as I have to check with the previous owner. The mileage is a bit high at 184,000. Belts look good under inspection so I'm leaning towards bad timing when it was re-installed. Its just really wierd that out of all the motors with VVT-i solenoids, this one has no filter information.

2003 SC430 Limited
Old 09-21-18, 03:35 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. I totally understand your lack of desire to tear open the engine and check the timing.

Where did you get the P1349 code from? It seems weird the Factory Service Manual would not have a fix for it.

Also, I see in post 18 on this other thread, that the V8's don't have this problem. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-filter-2.html (It sounds like you already know this, but I am processing my thoughts as I type so bear with me)

Do you think if you read the codes with the Lexus Factory Software, TECHSTREAM, you may get a more specific SC430 code?
Old 09-21-18, 03:37 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

My second thought is that the filter has no sensor in it, so the only way the system knows the filter is clogged is if there is not enough oil "downstream" of the filter

Could something else be blocking your oil flow?
Old 06-16-22, 09:41 AM
pbeukema
4th Gear

Default new to me

I have recently acquired a 2002 SC430, After running on the hiway and getting hot I had the check engine light come on and I also got the VSC lights on.
After reading through numerous posts, I had the engine oil changed and then I changed both VVT solenoids( only throwing a code for the passenger bank but I am sure they are both the same vintage).
I cleared the codes and all is well while in town driving. I get back on the hiway and I throw the same codes again.
Trying to do some more research and have found some sites on the web selling the VVT filter https://www.************.ca/partdeta...olenoid-filter

But in looking at the manual it does not mention a filter on the solenoid nor does there seem to be very much discussion about it.
Wondering if anyone has seen or if so replaced the solenoid filters? Or where should I be looking for my problem next? The strange thing as I can drive it around town for a while without issue but 20 minutes on the hiway at 60 mph and it throws the code again.
Thanks for your input

Old 06-16-22, 09:49 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbeukema
I have recently acquired a 2002 SC430, After running on the hiway and getting hot I had the check engine light come on and I also got the VSC lights on.
After reading through numerous posts, I had the engine oil changed and then I changed both VVT solenoids( only throwing a code for the passenger bank but I am sure they are both the same vintage).
I cleared the codes and all is well while in town driving. I get back on the hiway and I throw the same codes again.
Trying to do some more research and have found some sites on the web selling the VVT filter https://www.************.ca/partdeta...olenoid-filter

But in looking at the manual it does not mention a filter on the solenoid nor does there seem to be very much discussion about it.
Wondering if anyone has seen or if so replaced the solenoid filters? Or where should I be looking for my problem next? The strange thing as I can drive it around town for a while without issue but 20 minutes on the hiway at 60 mph and it throws the code again.
Thanks for your input
What is the specific code you are getting?
Old 06-16-22, 09:55 AM
pbeukema
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
What is the specific code you are getting?
The code I keep getting is P1354
Old 06-16-22, 05:15 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The code I keep getting is P1354
did you see this video…I recognize his accent as south Louisiana…where I grew up :-)
Old 06-16-22, 05:17 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

...I cleared the codes and all is well while in town driving. I get back on the hiway and I throw the same codes again.
If I had this as an intermittent problem, I would try an oil additive like Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam, in an attempt to dissolve gum and varnish that might be causing the valve to stick. Too, I recommend the best oil you can buy for combating this: Penzoil Ultra Platinum!
Old 02-20-24, 02:03 AM
migoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please

Thanks for your input
Was this ever resolved I have been having the same exact issue where I replaced both vvt solonoids cleared codes checked timing. And I still have the code p1354 I’m certain it is not the Vvt solenoids and it has no other codes but P1354 so I’m assuming it’s probably not the ECU since I imagine that it would have more codes than just one if the ECU is bad the timing belt is in good condition I’m not really sure where else to go here I’m assuming that it’s either the cam gear or my only other option that I can think of would have to be the ECU if there’s anything that I’m missing please help the car has 120,000 miles. I’m not sure when the timing has been done but looks as if it has been. It does not running rough at idle the only symptom I have that I know of/that I can tell is that when I floor it and it downshifts, the the RPM will go up the car hesitates/doesn’t really speed up and then really pulls after about 3 to 5 seconds. Trying to find anything about this problem has been extremely difficult and this post is the closest thing I’ve gotten to, so please follow up
Old 02-20-24, 09:58 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by migoi
I’m not sure when the timing has been done but looks as if it has been.
What makes you say the timing belt "looks as if it has been done?"

Not saying the TB is to blame, but since your code has to do with cam/valve timing, I wouldn't just assume the TB was done, I would look for actual evidence or records. The lag in acceleration you identified could be related to bad valve timing. But too, it could be related to a number of other air/fuel intake issues.
Old 02-20-24, 03:23 PM
migoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
What makes you say the timing belt "looks as if it has been done?"

Not saying the TB is to blame, but since your code has to do with cam/valve timing, I wouldn't just assume the TB was done, I would look for actual evidence or records. The lag in acceleration you identified could be related to bad valve timing. But too, it could be related to a number of other air/fuel intake issues.
Cause the tb isn’t oem it’s not damaged at all no cracks no metal showing it’s not stiff words are all still there on the belt, I don’t have access to any records for this car so wouldn’t really be able to see that but even then the timing is set properly so I couldn’t see how it would be the tb in the first place. If it’s air fuel wouldn’t I get a code for lean or rich then again the code is a timing code thank you for the response

Old 02-20-24, 04:01 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by migoi
If it’s air fuel wouldn’t I get a code for lean or rich then again the code is a timing code thank you for the response.
When I wrote "air/fuel intake," I wasn't referring to air-fuel mixture. The variable cam timing determines the best timing for the intake of the engine (air and fuel) to maximize performance and minimize emissions. With the lag you are experiencing during acceleration, one might suspect a glitch in the variable cam timing (VVTi), or even the acoustic control induction system (ACIS) (basically a system that changes the length of the intake manifold to maximize low-end torque and power throughout the RPM range).

Hopefully, someone else on CL has seen this code before and can advise you of where to look next. I don't have any experience with this failure, so, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Generally, I suggest you check both the VVTi and ACIS systems to ensure all your connections to all your components, both vacuum and electrical, looking for poor connections and/or leaks. Low oil pressure, dirty oil, or oil of the wrong viscosity can also affect your valve timing.

BTW...Yes, you have ample evidence the belt has been changed!

Quick Reply: P1349 Code Persists /w new OCV VVT-i Solenoid