SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Magnaflow 16917 Exhaust Installation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 07:55 PM
txsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnaflow 16917 Exhaust Installation Issue fixed. (Sound Review Linked)

Hello, I have finally decided to swap the exhaust for the SC430. This is my first time doing it so please bare with my terminologies and please correct me if I'm wrong. I pulled out the OEM and loosely attach the new exhaust as instructed by the manual. However when I'm about to tighten the Y-Pipe Assembly to the catalytic converter I noticed the walker shape flange is not flushed together I do believe that when I test fit it, it was flushed, I had to go to work and now noticed that it's not flushed anymore. As weird as it sounds I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what I need to do. I have posted pictures below for reference. Thank you for the time.
​​​​​​
Spoiler

Sincerely
txsoarer

Last edited by txsoarer; 09-28-18 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Issue fixed.
Old 09-21-18, 05:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Not sure how you mean flush. Do you want the pipe to slip over the other pipe and the Flanges to touch?
is that what you mean by flush?

i think you need to bolt it together and it will make a tighter connection.

also, are there any gaskets?
i think I see an old one on the catalytic converter, which should be replaced.
Old 09-21-18, 07:09 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 217 Likes on 105 Posts

I noticed that same issue when I tried to install that "cat-back" Magnaflow part #16917 to my 2004 SC430. I just figured it had to do
with some minor Lexus changes between the early SC430's and the later ( 2006+ ) models.
I went and purchased the Magnaflow Y pipe with the rear cat ( part # 49085 ) figuring that would solve all my problems. While this
took care of your problem, it only added another issue. The exhaust pipe junction between the Y pipe and the cat-back section didn't
line up with the cutout in the center chassis cross brace.
I still haven't replaced the original exhaust yet. I am planning on buying a spare cross piece and making modifications to it for proper
clearance and fit. Don't want any exhaust rattles and clanking noises, just a nice Magnaflow rumble.
If you didn't want to go that route, my first plan was to compress or eliminate that 3/8" section of extended pipe and hope for a good
seal with the gasket and flange.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 09-22-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 01:28 PM
txsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Not sure how you mean flush. Do you want the pipe to slip over the other pipe and the Flanges to touch?
is that what you mean by flush?

i think you need to bolt it together and it will make a tighter connection.

also, are there any gaskets?
i think I see an old one on the catalytic converter, which should be replaced.
I apologize for the confusion, but yes the inner pipe should be connected and the flanges touching. I tried bolting them on with an impact and it's not budging. I don't want to break the bolt or do something worse. Yes, that is an old gasket on the catalytic converter. Good catch. I will go to local auto shop and get a new gasket.

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
I noticed that same issue when I tried to install that "cat-back" Magnaflow part #16917 to my 2004 SC430. I just figured it had to do
with some minor Lexus changes between the early SC430's and the later ( 2006+ ) models.
I went and purchased the Magnaflow Y pipe with the rear cat ( part # 49085 ) figuring that would solve all my problems. While this
took care of your problem, it only added another issue. The exhaust pipe junction between the Y pipe and the cat-back section didn't
line up with the cutout in the center chassis cross brace.
I still haven't replaced the original exhaust yet. I am planning on buying a spare cross piece and making modifications to it for proper
clearance and fit. Don't want any exhaust rattles and clanking noises, just a nice Magnaflow rumble.
If you didn't want to go that route, my first plan was to compress or eliminate that 3/8' section of extended pipe and hope for a good
seal with the gasket and flange.
Thank you for the information. I'm relieved I'm not the only one having this issue. I'm probably going to do just that and carefully cut away a small part of the extended pipe.

I'm going to a local Auto Shop and see what they say. I'm hoping there's a Walker flange spacer of some sort that I could use before I start making modifications to the pipes. Unfortunately, this is my daily driver and I'm trying to get it running asap

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,
txsoarer
Old 09-28-18, 07:39 AM
txsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the replies. What I ended up doing was cutting about 4 mm off the pipe from the catalytic converter. Unfortunately I tried tightening it with an impact and caused the flanged to bent. I used jb weld to prevent any leak. Been driving it for a couple days and so far so good. I also took it to Lexus for a multi-point inspection and everything looks great. Pictures below. I'll make an installation video when I get a chance. But here's a
of what it sounds like also.

Spoiler

Old 09-29-18, 08:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I like what you did adding rumble without making it loud. Good job.
Old 09-30-18, 08:21 AM
jpm995
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great job tx, that sounds perfect, not overbearing. Bet it's hard to keep the foot off the gas.
Old 09-30-18, 09:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by txsoarer
Thank you for all the replies. What I ended up doing was cutting about 4 mm off the pipe from the catalytic converter. Unfortunately I tried tightening it with an impact and caused the flanged to bent. I used jb weld to prevent any leak. Been driving it for a couple days and so far so good. I also took it to Lexus for a multi-point inspection and everything looks great. Pictures below. I'll make an installation video when I get a chance. But here's a video of what it sounds like also.
that sounds very nice! I just let my wife hear it and she asked my to put it on her 2007.
on the 2002, we removed the resonators and third cat.

also, by chance you be willing to do another video with more reving the engine?
i would like to hear it more.

i see this exhaust on Amazon for $800, is that what you paid?

The following users liked this post:
txsoarer (11-13-18)
Old 09-30-18, 09:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I just found this exhaust for $600

Old 09-30-18, 11:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I will be selling an SC430 exhaust, only 35k miles.

Anyone interested? Especially Florida folks.
Old 10-12-18, 10:09 AM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by txsoarer
Thank you for all the replies. What I ended up doing was cutting about 4 mm off the pipe from the catalytic converter. Unfortunately I tried tightening it with an impact and caused the flanged to bent. I used jb weld to prevent any leak. Been driving it for a couple days and so far so good. I also took it to Lexus for a multi-point inspection and everything looks great. Pictures below. I'll make an installation video when I get a chance. But here's a video of what it sounds like also.
Hi Soarer, the small gap you were experiencing is caused by a variance in the manufacturing of the stock exhaust pipe. Sometimes they weld the flange too far back, leaving more of the seating cone exposed that keeps our system from mating up flush. You found the correct fix-you can trim back the inner cone a few mm to allow our system to seat. Doing this won't affect the sealing ability since that is done by the gasket. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-990-0905.
The following users liked this post:
txsoarer (11-13-18)
Old 10-12-18, 10:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magnaflow
Hi Soarer, the small gap you were experiencing is caused by a variance in the manufacturing of the stock exhaust pipe. Sometimes they weld the flange too far back, leaving more of the seating cone exposed that keeps our system from mating up flush. You found the correct fix-you can trim back the inner cone a few mm to allow our system to seat. Doing this won't affect the sealing ability since that is done by the gasket. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-990-0905.
i just had this installed on my 2007 SC430 and ran into the same issue, it was no big deal and they trimmed off the excess. It sounds really nice!
i also installed your other system for my 2000 Firebird Trans Am, 5.7, Love them both!!! Excellent quality with everything you need.
This is a high end product and easy to installed! Perfect fit!
the exhaust tips are fantastic!

Will have the before and after up soon.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-20-23 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 01:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here ya go!
Before

After

My Dyno says it gave me an additional 15hp
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=8

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-12-18 at 01:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
buddhi (09-07-21), txsoarer (11-13-18)
Old 10-12-18, 01:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magnaflow
the pipe on the cat, the part sticking out beyond the cat flange is the same size as the pipe you supply. Which means your pipe will NOT slip over the cat pipe. I had the exact problem and we cut off the cat pipe sticking out beyond the flange. Other than that your product was perfect.
it would be nice if you talked to the engineer who designed this system because someone made a little error.

A Five Star System!!!
Old 10-13-18, 09:40 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Very nice sound BGW.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 16917 Exhaust Installation Issue