SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Poor AM and FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 06:51 PM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poor AM and FM reception

I am getting a lot of distortion on all AM and FM stations. Everything sounds fine when I play a CD, so I'm assuming the speakers in my stock 2008 SC are OK. The antenna extends and retracts as it should. Any suggestions before I start searching for loose wires or connectors?
Old 10-02-18, 07:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Could you post a short video of the problem?

could be loose antenna wires on the back of the radio or loose wires at the rear antenna.

@Coleroad @DshngDaryl what do you think?

i had to try out the new tagging feature!
Old 10-03-18, 08:01 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cespede
I am getting a lot of distortion on all AM and FM stations. Everything sounds fine when I play a CD, so I'm assuming the speakers in my stock 2008 SC are OK. The antenna extends and retracts as it should. Any suggestions before I start searching for loose wires or connectors?
I find that AM sounds not very good on my sc430 as well as my wifes es350 . The FM is much better. I feel that AM is very old technology and I am not sure why it continues unless its better equipped for distance then FM. I never listen to AM unless I just want all news
Old 10-03-18, 10:18 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

AM (Amplitude Modulation) has shorter transmitting range than FM (Frequency Modulation). Reception depends on many factors: distance, transmitting power, buildings, magnetic field interference and the antenna. I live in the area which radio reception are excellent. I don’t listen to radio so it doesn’t matter to me.
Old 10-03-18, 10:21 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Has it been like that since you got the car, or is this a new development? If it has always been like that, I would take the radio out and see if the antenna plug is attached to your radio. The sc430 has two antennas. You would think one of them would get you decent reception. I recall reading a bunch of posts about the antenna, you should do a search and see if you can find the old posts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-forum.html
Old 10-03-18, 10:22 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
@Coleroad @DshngDaryl what do you think?

i had to try out the new tagging feature!
Kinda cool @Bgw70 , but what does it do? (Other than make me feel special?)

Old 10-03-18, 10:36 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
AM (Amplitude Modulation) has shorter transmitting range than FM (Frequency Modulation). Reception depends on many factors: distance, transmitting power, buildings, magnetic field interference and the antenna. I live in the area which radio reception are excellent. I don’t listen to radio so it doesn’t matter to me.
AM band is MW(like 550 KHz to 1600KHz) band compared to FM's VHF range(like 80 MHz to 100MHz). AM has much long range. AM is more suseptible to noise(EMI) interference. When charging circuit is not working normal AM reception becomes very noisy for an example.
Old 10-03-18, 12:18 PM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

Yes and yes. It has always been like that since I got the car, and it's a recent development since I've only had the car for 1 week. Thanks for the link. I will check the antenna connectors after I read all of the relevant posts.
Old 10-03-18, 01:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes and yes. It has always been like that since I got the car, and it's a recent development since I've only had the car for 1 week. Thanks for the link. I will check the antenna connectors after I read all of the relevant posts.
yes and yes to what questions?

do you see the quote button?
Old 10-03-18, 01:08 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Please note antenna connection is via coax cable. Make sure both (signal carrying inner conductor and outer conductor shield ) are connected well. If connection is poor that junction acts like a diode.
Old 10-03-18, 01:14 PM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70

yes and yes to what questions?

do you see the quote button?
Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Has it been like that since you got the car, or is this a new development? If it has always been like that, I would take the radio out and see if the antenna plug is attached to your radio. The sc430 has two antennas. You would think one of them would get you decent reception. I recall reading a bunch of posts about the antenna, you should do a search and see if you can find the old posts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-forum.html
I tried the Quick Reply to the above message, but the Quote button didn't work on my Ipad. I assumed my Quick Reply would post right after his message, but it didn't. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-03-18, 02:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I tried the Quick Reply to the above message, but the Quote button didn't work on my Ipad. I assumed my Quick Reply would post right after his message, but it didn't. Sorry for the confusion.
got it...thanks...
Old 10-04-18, 10:26 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Kinda cool @Bgw70 , but what does it do? (Other than make me feel special?)
Ok, I see what it does now. I must have my PM notification turned off. Otherwise tagging me would let me know there is a post I should look at
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...gging-306.html
Old 10-06-18, 10:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I agree with checking the antenna connections. Loose antenna connections could easily create noise like that. There are two of them on the back of the radio, left side as you face the front of the radio.
Old 10-06-18, 11:56 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Harold57
I agree with checking the antenna connections. Loose antenna connections could easily create noise like that. There are two of them on the back of the radio, left side as you face the front of the radio.
If connectors are all good and power supply voltage radio unit is getting is proper, another thing to consider is front end of radio might have suffered a static damage (like from nearby lightning strike)

Quick Reply: Poor AM and FM reception