SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Exterior Pillar Molding Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 11:53 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SC430 Exterior Pillar Molding Removal

Does anyone have the procedure for removing the Exterior Molding on the windshield Pillar? My SC430 does not join flush at the top of the windshield where it meets the Header that goes across the windshield and I was trying to determine what exactly held it down tight. My aunts SC430 it is flush and tight and the lines match up. I looked online and saw all the push in clips, but could not tell if the pin at the top of the molding was a stud, or just a rivet. I wasn't sure if it bolted down in anyway at the top near the windshield, or if it is just held in with the push clips. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Im getting windnoise on the Grey SC with the molding sitting up

Im attempting to attach some pics of how it lines up on the 2 different Cars. The white SC it fits flush on both sides, the grey one, the moldings sit up some

sorry. struggling uploading pics. I've tried 5 or 6 times and cant get them to attach to the post.

Last edited by Avmanager; 11-11-18 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding Pictures
Old 11-11-18, 07:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmanager
Does anyone have the procedure for removing the Exterior Molding on the windshield Pillar? My SC430 does not join flush at the top of the windshield where it meets the Header that goes across the windshield and I was trying to determine what exactly held it down tight. My aunts SC430 it is flush and tight and the lines match up. I looked online and saw all the push in clips, but could not tell if the pin at the top of the molding was a stud, or just a rivet. I wasn't sure if it bolted down in anyway at the top near the windshield, or if it is just held in with the push clips. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Im getting windnoise on the Grey SC with the molding sitting up

Im attempting to attach some pics of how it lines up on the 2 different Cars. The white SC it fits flush on both sides, the grey one, the moldings sit up some

sorry. struggling uploading pics. I've tried 5 or 6 times and cant get them to attach to the post.
post up some picks of the issue...
Old 11-12-18, 03:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I had my windshield replaced and I saw how it was taken off. I will search for my previous post.
Old 11-12-18, 06:01 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Thank you so much. Not sure what's going on and why I cant attach any pics. I have done it on the GX forum in the past, but I tried 5 times yesterday to upload and attach the pics. It showed they were uploaded, but the pics never showed up on the post.

Last edited by Avmanager; 11-12-18 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Trying to Add Pics Again......
Old 11-12-18, 06:23 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Still cant get any photos to post. I went and took one again and scaled down the size. I went and did advanced, did the upload, and saved changes, but none of the attempts are showing the attachments on the post. Just tried it again from a different computer just in case. So not sure why I cant attach anything
Old 11-12-18, 08:00 AM
mandyfig

The Windshield garnish is held by clips and 1 bolt (this is the key!) If you will notice there is a hole on top and a bolt goes through and you will need to unbolt it from the cabin side. My glass installer tried to pull the garnish and I said, there is a bolt and we have to go underneath to get to the bolt. He popped the pillar garnish and there it was. This bolt prevents anybody from popping off the garnish from the outside and literally holds the garnish in place. My installer actually scratched up my A pillar when he tried to twist it off.

Just a tip, hope it helps.

The following 4 users liked this post by mandyfig:
AintPretty (06-27-20), Avmanager (11-12-18), Harold57 (11-12-18), txsoarer (11-13-18)
Old 11-12-18, 08:53 AM
Avmanager
Driver

This is absolutely perfect. I was looking to try to determine the top and whether that was a stud or a long lineup rivet. That gives me a rough idea where to look as well. I popped the side interior Garnish off yesterday and didn't see anything there, but this looks like I might want to see how to get the Header trim off as well with as high up as that bolt is. If that Bolt is loose, that would by why it is not sitting flush down. Or someone tried to pull it up and bent it
Old 11-12-18, 10:24 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Mandyfig, you were right on with it. That was a 10mm bolt that was not threaded all the way down. I had to take the side garnish molding off, the sunvisor loose, and pull the Header garnish molding back some to get a 10mm deepwell socket on it. Along with removing the clip around the roof latch above the sunvisor. Unfortunately, it looks like that was taken off by some that did not know what they were doing in the past and it was pulled back on and does not sit flat now. It looks like my option is to take it all the way off and either see if I can bend it slightly, or replace it and get another one painted. I'm leaning toward the replacement route. I can see several small indentions where the person had worked to either get it off or get it back on before. It did give me the opportunity to fix a few lose clips at the Header and they had not put that back together correctly when they had reassembled it.

Last edited by Avmanager; 11-14-18 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 11-12-18, 11:19 AM
mandyfig

Good that you have a plan to get it straightened out. Good luck.