SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

100% brake system failure ( Can this happen to your SC 430?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 05:34 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Owners should have recourse regarding "total brake failure." Brake systems are designed to be "fail-safe," which means, they fail in a manner which still allows the operator to stop the vehicle. No amount of miles or age should result in a total brake failure. That's why this phenomenon is so rare, because manufacturers go through great lengths to ensure it doesn't happen.
Owners do have recourse -- but some seem to be advocating restitution?

Anyone have a "total brake failure" yet? So far, I haven't seen it. They still had a hard brake. They still had an emergency brake (aptly named?). And they had plenty of warning lights and buzzers letting them know something brake-related failed. Thus, "fail-safe". Notice, though, the complaint article was referring to "brake ASSIST" failures -- I consider that the correct scope. Regardless of scope clarification (100% failure versus partial), brake ASSIST failures are still very scary and severe consequences could occur. No question there.

I think the main disagreement for me is two-fold: (1) members are referring/confusing brake ASSIST failures as "100% brake failures", and (2) they assert that "100% brake failures" should NEVER happen regardless of age or mileage -- thus they conclude brake ASSIST failures should NEVER happen regardless of age or mileage. I consider that a logic fallacy.

For me: (1) brake ASSIST failures are different than "100% brake failures", and (2) brake ASSIST failures WILL happen with age and mileage. Even the recalls/TSBs seem to suggest a 10 year/150k mile limit?

Thanks for the good discussion -- I'll butt out of this debate now. Don't mind me too much, as I'm stressing because it's convertible weather and my SC is out of commission because it decided to spray fuel all over the back of my hot engine and catalytic convertors! Still waiting for my fuel pulsation dampers to arrive.

The following 2 users liked this post by degmla:
daddiojigg (03-22-21), jimisbell (04-12-21)
Old 03-22-21, 05:49 AM
degmla
Driver

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
How do you take that grommet apart again? Do you need
to pull the entire ABS unit apart to get to it?
And what does applying extra grease there do again?

thx
See pics in posts #35 and #37. If I were fancy and intelligent, I could probably figure out how to provide a link! Thankfully, I'm neither!

No, don't pull anything apart. Just push the grommet to the side and feel (or see if you can) for excessive rust. When I checked my old LX, it was significant. All you're doing is checking to see of those terminals are corroding. And, the grease (I think I used the battery terminal red gel stuff) is just trying to prevent moisture-induced corrosion. I think the rubber grommet is intended to prevent moisture and/or shorting of those two terminals (they are the +/- for the big brake motor), but it seems that, SOMETIMES, it holds moisture and causes severe corrosion. Since corrosion is still electrically conductive, eventually a failure or erratic failure of the brake motor could occur.

Make sense?
Old 03-22-21, 05:57 AM
degmla
Driver

@Seattle SCone first, it was hysteresis...now it's lesion as a verb!?!? Words I've rarely used during "car talk"!
Old 03-22-21, 06:13 AM
degmla
Driver

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Trying to think how a boost pump failure could make the system go completely non-functional. Unfortunately, without actually knowing internal plumbing, it is a bit of conjecture.
I'll conject with you! I imagine there are check valves in the hydraulics to separate the ECU-induced braking from manual braking....so those systems are connected, but only flow one direction. As for the master cylinder, I think the pedal push opens passage ways for the higher pressure motor. Thus, when you lose the motor, the checks will seal but now it's all on your leg to provide the hydraulic pressure for all the brakes. Fortunately, the anxiety-induced adrenaline during such an event will help.

Old 03-22-21, 09:15 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by degmla
See pics in posts #35 and #37. If I were fancy and intelligent, I could probably figure out how to provide a link! Thankfully, I'm neither!

No, don't pull anything apart. Just push the grommet to the side and feel (or see if you can) for excessive rust. When I checked my old LX, it was significant. All you're doing is checking to see of those terminals are corroding. And, the grease (I think I used the battery terminal red gel stuff) is just trying to prevent moisture-induced corrosion. I think the rubber grommet is intended to prevent moisture and/or shorting of those two terminals (they are the +/- for the big brake motor), but it seems that, SOMETIMES, it holds moisture and causes severe corrosion. Since corrosion is still electrically conductive, eventually a failure or erratic failure of the brake motor could occur.

Make sense?
this my friends is superb Dielectric Silicone Grease made by 3M for all electrical applications.
I use it on all automotive electrical connections to include anything around my house exposed to the elements...I have televisions in my pool area and I have used this product on the electrical outlets.
I also use the battery terminal spray as mentioned above.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-22-21 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 10:52 AM
degmla
Driver

Yes, that would work. 8oz might be a tad much
Old 03-22-21, 12:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that would work. 8oz might be a tad much
not when you live in Texas ;-)
The following users liked this post:
degmla (03-22-21)
Old 03-23-21, 09:09 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Guys

not sure how you “ push “ the grommet aside to see if it is leaking
And then reseal while the MS ABS is still in the car.

Can someone with some video skills share?

the pics from #35 and # 37 only show a MS that is
removed and 2 wires that looks corroded

thanks
Old 03-24-21, 04:25 AM
degmla
Driver

Originally Posted by jonas's RX

the pics from #35 and # 37 only show a MS that is
removed and 2 wires that looks corroded

thanks
They also show where the rubber grommet is relative to the MS, so you know where to locate it on your car. They show which way the grommet rotates, so you know which direction to push it. They also show a gloved finger holding it back. Hopefully, that is enough information for you?

Maybe I'll video something when I go to replace my fuel pulsation dampers.
Old 03-24-21, 04:59 AM
WtSpyder
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Mercedes-Benz has a similar issue with some of their cars. I have an 03 SL500 and experienced failure of the supplemental braking system at 55 mph. One moment the brakes were working as designed the next it was all leg muscle trying to stop the car. Scary to say the least but I did get it stopped without hitting the vehicle in front of me that suddenly braked to avoid a dog. Mercedes had been receiving notices of this happening over the years and in 2018 extended the warranty on the SBC system another 20 years and unlimited mileage. This included reimbursement for those that replaced the system during the time there was no warranty. Repair bills for this typically are 3500 or so.

Similar to the airbag recall on our SC430s, dealerships check the cars, repair and replace components while providing a loaner vehicle. When I had my SL500 done, a part had to come from Germany. I was in the 600 loaner for a month.

I encourage everyone to report these issues to Lexus and the NHSTA. If the numbers show it, there will be a recall and remediation efforts. In the meantime, know that you can stop your car, though not as usual. Drive it and enjoy it. Do pay attention to maintenance and change the fluid.

Old 03-24-21, 05:41 AM
degmla
Driver

Originally Posted by WtSpyder
Mercedes-Benz has a similar issue with some of their cars. I have an 03 SL500 and experienced failure of the supplemental braking system at 55 mph. One moment the brakes were working as designed the next it was all leg muscle trying to stop the car. Scary to say the least but I did get it stopped without hitting the vehicle in front of me that suddenly braked to avoid a dog. Mercedes had been receiving notices of this happening over the years and in 2018 extended the warranty on the SBC system another 20 years and unlimited mileage. This included reimbursement for those that replaced the system during the time there was no warranty. Repair bills for this typically are 3500 or so.
But, to be fair, that system was initially recalled within a few years of production, right? Like, a ~2006 recall on a 2003 car? So, it seems it was already recognized as a problem area. Then after another 10+ years of continued problems and continued complaints, they extended their initial recall? This is all I gleaned from a quick review.

And, for the air bags, again, that was already recognized as a problem early on, right? And, indeed, it had documented fatalities/serious injuries associated with it? Thus, it continues its saga as well.

However, brake assist failures initially occurring on vehicles that are ~15 years old and ~150k miles don't yet strike me as a 'similar issue'.
jimisbell (04-12-21)
Old 03-24-21, 06:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

replace my fuel pulsation dampers.
looks like a fun job...are they leaking?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-damper.html
Old 03-24-21, 06:18 AM
degmla
Driver

Yes...

See my video... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11013802
Old 03-24-21, 06:30 AM
WtSpyder
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

But, to be fair, that system was initially recalled within a few years of production, right? Like, a ~2006 recall on a 2003 car? So, it seems it was already recognized as a problem area. Then after another 10+ years of continued problems and continued complaints, they extended their initial recall? This is all I gleaned from a quick review.

And, for the air bags, again, that was already recognized as a problem early on, right? And, indeed, it had documented fatalities/serious injuries associated with it? Thus, it continues its saga as well.

However, brake assist failures initially occurring on vehicles that are ~15 years old and ~150k miles don't yet strike me as a 'similar issue'.
I am not sure of the history on the MB issue. I purchased the car in 2018 and it was just prior to the incident that I heard about the warranty extension. Lucky for me!

I reference the airbag just as an example of thing already happening with the SC. Still believe in reporting issues, enjoying the car and good maintaince.

degmla (03-24-21)
Old 03-24-21, 06:36 AM
degmla
Driver

Originally Posted by WtSpyder
I encourage everyone to report these issues to Lexus and the NHSTA. If the numbers show it, there will be a recall and remediation efforts. In the meantime, know that you can stop your car, though not as usual. Drive it and enjoy it. Do pay attention to maintenance and change the fluid.
I completely agree with you on this. I just don't expect anything to come of it...."but it doesn't hurt to try"? I think your calming advice was spot-on.

Quick Reply: 100% brake system failure ( Can this happen to your SC 430?)