SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Key fob lock/unlock does not work at distance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 05:58 PM
sc430scruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob lock/unlock does not work at distance

I’m having a real problem with my remote key fob locking and unlocking my 2002 SC 430 at any significant distance. I’ve searched through the forum and read all I could find about this issue, but haven’t found a solution. Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I want to give you all the details.

It all started when my battery died because I installed a rear view backup camera. Despite its good reviews, it turned out to be cheap China junk. It was supposed to shut itself off before running the battery down but didn’t, hence the dead battery. (I’ve since wired it to a power lead that is switched off when the key is removed - no more dead battery now.)

After rewiring the camera and charging up the battery, my remote fob stopped working from any appreciable distance... and only worked when placed within inches of the transponder which is located behind the driver's front fender. It will however, work from within the passenger compartment and will lock/unlock the doors and arm the alarm. Also, the auto lock feature (locks the car automatically after 2 minutes) has stopped working too..

As per ALL the previous forum posts, I’ve tried to reprogram the fob several different ways, including - open door, close door, ignition switch on/off etc…...and although the fob works close up, it won't work from a distance. The batteries in the fob are brand new too.

I also let the car sit overnight with the battery disconnected, then tried reprogramming the remote…still no good. Prior to all of this, the remote had really great range for locking and unlocking….and the 2 minute auto lock feature (CBEST) worked perfectly. I really want to avoid the dealer, so if you have a solution, I'd sure appreciated it.

Thanks for reading,
David in Santa Cruz
Old 11-24-18, 06:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 911 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430scruz
I’m having a real problem with my remote key fob locking and unlocking my 2002 SC 430 at any significant distance. I’ve searched through the forum and read all I could find about this issue, but haven’t found a solution. Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I want to give you all the details.

It all started when my battery died because I installed a rear view backup camera. Despite its good reviews, it turned out to be cheap China junk. It was supposed to shut itself off before running the battery down but didn’t, hence the dead battery. (I’ve since wired it to a power lead that is switched off when the key is removed - no more dead battery now.)

After rewiring the camera and charging up the battery, my remote fob stopped working from any appreciable distance... and only worked when placed within inches of the transponder which is located behind the driver's front fender. It will however, work from within the passenger compartment and will lock/unlock the doors and arm the alarm. Also, the auto lock feature (locks the car automatically after 2 minutes) has stopped working too..

As per ALL the previous forum posts, I’ve tried to reprogram the fob several different ways, including - open door, close door, ignition switch on/off etc…...and although the fob works close up, it won't work from a distance. The batteries in the fob are brand new too.

I also let the car sit overnight with the battery disconnected, then tried reprogramming the remote…still no good. Prior to all of this, the remote had really great range for locking and unlocking….and the 2 minute auto lock feature (CBEST) worked perfectly. I really want to avoid the dealer, so if you have a solution, I'd sure appreciated it.

Thanks for reading,
David in Santa Cruz
try your spare key fob...same?
what is the voltage of the new bats in the bad keyfob with new batts?
your rear camera should only have power to operate when the car is switched into reverse...or did you want something else?
i connected camera power in the trunk Jbox.
GmanSC used the backup light socket...both work great.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-25-18 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-25-18, 04:51 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
GmanSC used the backup light socket...both work great.
BGW,
To clarify, I used backup light socket to power the camera and for backup trigger. For the Navsk, I used pin 18 of the connector.
David,
Lost battery power should not ruin your remote control function. I believe there is an antenna for the remote located in the overhead light console. Others can chime in.
Old 11-26-18, 03:06 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

It all started when my battery died
I don't think that should have anything too do with it.

because I installed a rear view backup camera.
That may have something to do with it since that's when the problem started. If so, it would be either something you did during the install (fried a component accidentally) or the cam itself. Does the problem persist if you disconnect the cam?
Old 11-27-18, 04:40 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We had that happen.

It works but needs to be closer to work.

2002 is 16 years ago.. Comparing with the spare remote won't help, we did that too. They are same age.

Change the battery in your remote.

Last edited by ShellyGX; 11-27-18 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Funny this reminds of a show where I saw that if you put the remote near your head, it increases the working distance of the remote. Maybe it is just a hoax, but you can try it.

I just went and tried it on my IS and walked away so far from the car...and it still worked...it is freaking cold I had to go back inside the office, I will do this experiment one day.
Old 11-27-18, 09:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Funny this reminds of a show where I saw that if you put the remote near your head, it increases the working distance of the remote. Maybe it is just a hoax, but you can try it.

I just went and tried it on my IS and walked away so far from the car...and it still worked...it is freaking cold I had to go back inside the office, I will do this experiment one day.
my son showed me this one. Touch the key to the bottom of you chin and it will extend the distance...it works!
Old 11-27-18, 09:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

See, it does work...
Old 11-28-18, 08:30 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

my son showed me this one. Touch the key to the bottom of you chin and it will extend the distance...it works!
Yes, it does work. I’ve done it many times. Hold the fob against the ear seems extend the distance.
Old 11-29-18, 09:15 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Are you guys serious or just trying to see how many people will look at us weird in the parking lot?
~~~~~~~~~
As for the original question, I recall reading on ClubLexus that dealers would put a passive RFID label on the rear view mirror. This way they would know who drove into their service bay and could greet them by name. It turns out the label interfered with the distance of the remote.

So, maybe you can check to see if there is anything blocking the mirror area?

I also recall someone saying their Remote stopped working or didn't work as well when they left their car out in the sun. If it was in the shade it would work.

Maybe you can see if there is a pattern to when your remote doesn't work?
Old 11-29-18, 10:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Are you guys serious or just trying to see how many people will look at us weird in the parking lot?
~~~~~~~~~
As for the original question, I recall reading on ClubLexus that dealers would put a passive RFID label on the rear view mirror. This way they would know who drove into their service bay and could greet them by name. It turns out the label interfered with the distance of the remote.
So, maybe you can check to see if there is anything blocking the mirror area?
I also recall someone saying their Remote stopped working or didn't work as well when they left their car out in the sun. If it was in the shade it would work.
Maybe you can see if there is a pattern to when your remote doesn't work?
With regards to increasing the remote transmitting distance, yes that is real. I ran into that back in the 90's when the company I worked for had a product that used a key fob for safety reasons.

I don't remember the remote stopping working in the sun but rather the door unlock motor. Then again, maybe it is just the ole CRS kicking in and there was an incident of someone's remote stopping working due to heat also.
Old 11-29-18, 12:56 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

this might help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...b-range-2.html
Old 11-29-18, 03:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for reading,
David in Santa Cruz
any updates
Old 12-03-18, 05:54 AM
sc430scruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update to Key fob not working at distance

Thank you for all your good feedback.....I've found the problem. DshngDaryl pointed me in the right direction with his advice about the "transceiver antenna".....it resides in the rearview mirror itself.

The backup unit is an Auto Vox M8 (found on Amazon) which clips on to the existing mirror. Unfortunately, when installed on the Lexus mirror, it completely obliterates the signal. I removed the unit (unclips easily, held on by rubber bands) and the fob worked perfectly....at a distance.
I'm now trying to figure out how to salvage my purchase and install it differently....first a word about the Auto Vox M8....I would not recommend it for one reason, the video output during the day, with the top up (with average sunlight) is too washed out to be useful. The front and rear cameras work very well, it's just the video image that is presented through the mirror which, in daylight is too faint. I've tried angling the mirror down a little when backing up...and that helps a little....but is nowhere near what is represented in the Amazon sites photos. At night the clarity is great....good video from the front facing camera and the rear.

I was told by Auto Vox to get my windows tinted...that will help....right, I'm going to spend $200+ to get that done to make the system work.....not. I've repeatedly asked them if a firmware update is coming to increase the contrast and brightness, so far the answer is no. I'm relating this to save others the grief/frustration of this backup unit...unfortunately the SC430 could benefit greatly from a backup camera that worked well.
Thanks to all who chimed in.
David in Santa Cruz.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18, 10:47 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Glad you got it figured out.

I suppose if you don't tell the fcc, you could extend this antenna a little bit

Quick Reply: Key fob lock/unlock does not work at distance