SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 06:43 AM
TCrespi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Not Functioning

Roof of SC430 suddenly stopped working after performing flawlessly. Thoughts?
Old 11-30-18, 09:31 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Did you want to try to fix the roof yourself, or did you want to know if someone other than the dealer can fix it?

Do a search for "roof" by following these directions, you can skip the POSTED BY PART. You want to pay attention to the post that talk about tech stream & valet lockout.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-forum.html
Old 11-30-18, 05:00 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

We need more infos. What is the symptom? Red light flashing? Not thing at all? Half way? Won’t open, won’t close?

Last edited by GmanSC; 11-30-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 08:34 AM
TCrespi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. Closed the top, which has never had a problem, owned since new in 2002. The next use, went to open the roof and the switch was dead, nothing since. No light on the switch. Checked rear fuse panel (trunk) all were good. Cannot access other fuses, physically challenged. Switch feels strange but would expect some type of contact and not total failure. Not sure what route best to check to determine if /why power failing. Thanks for whatever help you
can offer.
Old 12-01-18, 11:26 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TCrespi
Thanks all. Closed the top, which has never had a problem, owned since new in 2002. The next use, went to open the roof and the switch was dead, nothing since. No light on the switch. Checked rear fuse panel (trunk) all were good. Cannot access other fuses, physically challenged. Switch feels strange but would expect some type of contact and not total failure. Not sure what route best to check to determine if /why power failing. Thanks for whatever help you
can offer.
Those symptoms match a failed self check. The roof system has many moving parts that all have to be in sync to work. Before your car opens or closes the roof, it does an auto diagnostic of the system. If there is a problem, it won't attempt to open/close the roof. That way you it lessens the chance you will end up with a half open or half closed roof.

The only way to fix it is to get access to "tech stream" and read the Toyota specific codes. The dealer has techstream, so do many Independent Toyota specialty repair shops and about 20% of the people that use this board.

Once you get the codes, we can help you fix the problem
Old 12-01-18, 03:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

You can also buy your own Techstream for $25 to $50 and diagnose it on your own, along with all the other many features you can use on the Techstream.
Old 12-01-18, 05:42 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Try to díconnetc the battery and hopefully the system will reset itself. Be sure to check the valet switch and taunt over cover.
Old 12-03-18, 01:42 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Those symptoms match a failed self check. The roof system has many moving parts that all have to be in sync to work. Before your car opens or closes the roof, it does an auto diagnostic of the system. If there is a problem, it won't attempt to open/close the roof. That way you it lessens the chance you will end up with a half open or half closed roof.
Except that the OP says no light on the switch at all. I was under the impression that if it fails diagnostic, the light flashes. Maybe someone knows for sure.

A non-seated trunk cover does a flash also, I believe.

Definitely check the glove box switch -- I think that would be consistent with no flash. Maybe someone/something bumped it.

And yeah, disconnecting the battery would clear the fault and let the system start fresh.
Old 12-03-18, 06:28 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Except that the OP says no light on the switch at all. I was under the impression that if it fails diagnostic, the light flashes. Maybe someone knows for sure.

A non-seated trunk cover does a flash also, I believe.

Definitely check the glove box switch -- I think that would be consistent with no flash. Maybe someone/something bumped it.

And yeah, disconnecting the battery would clear the fault and let the system start fresh.
Hey Johnny,

The system checks itself each time you push the button. It does not store the codes, so disconnecting the battery is not a definite fix,

A non seat trunk cover does create a flash, a failed self diagnostic doesn't cause a flash.

Old 12-12-18, 07:48 AM
TCrespi
Driver School Candidate

Tried it all and the only thing that changed was one short flash of the light on the switch suggesting that power to the switch is inconsistent. Ordered Techstream diagnostic that I hope will help as I can only imagine what the dealer will charge to diagnose the fault and repair. Hoping the issue is in the switch itself. Thank you for everyone's assistance. Still, the roof remains closed, switch not functioning, all safeguards/valet switch correct and battery was disconnected twice without any response. Lets hope Techstream helps.
Old 12-12-18, 09:31 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TCrespi
Ordered Techstream diagnostic that I hope will help as I can only imagine what the dealer will charge to diagnose the fault and repair. Hoping the issue is in the switch itself. Still, the roof remains closed, switch not functioning, all safeguards/valet switch correct and battery was disconnected twice without any response. Lets hope Techstream helps.
That sounds great. Once you get the codes we can help you get it diagnosed and hopefully fixed

Old 12-14-18, 07:25 AM
lexusnut
Driver School Candidate

Default My roof has solid red

Hi Everyone, I bought SC430 and its roof is not working its closed now but
1. Solid red on the switch
2. beeps when i drive it
3. Rear windows don't go up
Also: Does roof computer needs to be programmed to the car if replaced?

thanks
Old 12-14-18, 09:38 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnut
Hi Everyone, I bought SC430 and its roof is not working its closed now but
1. Solid red on the switch
2. beeps when i drive it
3. Rear windows don't go up
Also: Does roof computer needs to be programmed to the car if replaced?

thanks
Did you just replace the computer? The computer shouldn't need to be programmed, but the computer needs to know where all the parts in your top are. Since they aren't in the starting position, your computer is probably unhappy.

From the description you gave, it sounds like your car/computer recognizes that your roof is in the partially open position. That is what causes the beeping.

There is a valet switch in the glove compartment. Make sure it is not on, or your roof won't work. Also make sure the trunk cover in the trunk is closed. Both of those will cause the conditions you described.

Once you make sure both of those things are ok, unplug your battery and plug it back in. Hopefully that will force your computer to figure out where in the closing stage you are at and let it resume.
Old 12-15-18, 07:51 PM
lexusnut
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.
I was very concerned about programming. Presently I am tearing apart my car. It looks like water damage in controller. I will post info as i go through it.
Old 01-10-19, 02:10 PM
lamb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default roof no worky

Hey fellas,
I am looking to buy an 02 sc430 in morning. roof inoperable. Blinking red light. checked trunk and valet switch.. what next?
also has some new ..but cheapo chinese westlake L07 Tires.. are they any good? no accidents 120k What else should I look for?

Quick Reply: Roof Not Functioning