SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Auto light position

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 06:30 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Auto light position

Hello all.....interested in knowing how many of you leave your headlight switch in the auto position? Been told it’s not advisable being it is a source for drain....what do you guys think...
Old 12-04-18, 08:01 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

mine is always in auto mode. it's in the garage and driven maybe once or twice a week and not always long distances. never a problem with starting or draining the battery. every car i've owned for the last 30 years from cadillac to lexus to jaguar had the same feature, i always kept them in auto, never had a problem. each car is different of course but as long as the electrical is sound, it shouldn't be a likely worry provided it doesn't sit for several weeks IMO. I just prefer not worrying about the on or off position and letting the car decide when to light things up.
Old 12-04-18, 08:51 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Hello all.....interested in knowing how many of you leave your headlight switch in the auto position? Been told it’s not advisable being it is a source for drain....what do you guys think...
I have it on auto but turn off the 30 second delay. With battery tender, no problem at all.
Old 12-05-18, 09:15 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

When I first got the car I left it in the auto position all the time. I have done this with other Lexus cars I have owned. But, my first set of HID lamps only lasted about 5 years. I had a 2000 ES with HID and my mother just sold it with the original lamps in the car. Big difference. My problem was with the SC the lights would come on in the garage. The ES did not. This is with the garage door open. I tried all the adjustments for the sensitivity with out any success. The lights would go out quickly but this type of lamp is like a projector lamp. Just turning on reduces the life of the lamp much more than the time it is only on if you are using it. These lamps are very difficult to change so I decided to turn the lights on manually. I changed the lamps in 2011 and the lamps I put in at that time are still in the car. My car is an 06 delivered in Dec. of 05. So, with my vast data base of one, I can unequivocally say that turning them on manually lengthens the life of the lamp. At least for me. If they were easier to change I would still leave it in auto. My wife has a 2015 RX and we leave that in auto and the lights do come on in the garage. But , the lamps are easy to get to.
Old 12-05-18, 09:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

When I know I am not going to drive the SC for awhile, I put mine in the off position and I manually lock my doors. (So my car alarm isn't active)

It just takes an extra 1/10 of a second and keeps the battery charged longer.
Old 12-05-18, 08:12 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys....I’m opting to leave in off position....sounds logical that it would keep bulb longevity .....
Old 01-24-19, 02:21 PM
lexylady11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until last year I have always left my headlight switch in "auto". One night when my husband was driving we noticed the lights were not as bright so he changed it to the "on" position. I prefer "auto" because I did not see a problem. And, now I forget to turn it on/off/auto but have noticed it will go off when in the "on" position - I know strange. I did notice they stayed on a little longer than usual but always went out. But, I think I left it in the "on" position too many times and it drained the battery. The last time it happened I had the car jump started and now it's back to normal. And, my battery is about a year old. However. now that the car is 9 years old maybe it's best for me to start remembering to simply turn the lights on at night and use the "off" position during the day. Although, Auto seems to work just need to see why after 8 years we just noticing the lights were not as bright when driving at night. Strange. I just don't know at this point.

Also, does the GS350 have a sensor in the driver seat that will cause the headlights to stay on when the driver remains in the car after turning off the engine. I have been looking for that information but I do notice the lights stay on longer if I am still in the car and this is with the doors all closed too.
Old 01-24-19, 04:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by lexylady11
Until last year I have always left my headlight switch in "auto". One night when my husband was driving we noticed the lights were not as bright so he changed it to the "on" position. I prefer "auto" because I did not see a problem. And, now I forget to turn it on/off/auto but have noticed it will go off when in the "on" position - I know strange. I did notice they stayed on a little longer than usual but always went out. But, I think I left it in the "on" position too many times and it drained the battery. The last time it happened I had the car jump started and now it's back to normal. And, my battery is about a year old. However. now that the car is 9 years old maybe it's best for me to start remembering to simply turn the lights on at night and use the "off" position during the day. Although, Auto seems to work just need to see why after 8 years we just noticing the lights were not as bright when driving at night. Strange. I just don't know at this point.

Also, does the GS350 have a sensor in the driver seat that will cause the headlights to stay on when the driver remains in the car after turning off the engine. I have been looking for that information but I do notice the lights stay on longer if I am still in the car and this is with the doors all closed too.
other than a GS350, what do you own, year and mileage?
Old 01-24-19, 10:03 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Welcome to SC section. I don’t own a GS but I sure can discuss your question.
First of all, light switch on AUTO or ON has no effect on the intensity of the headlights. If you headlights got dimmer, time to replace the light bulbs.
The AUTO function turns the lights on automatic when it’s getting dark and turns the lights off during daytime. On the other hand, the ON function will turn the lights on regardless the time of day. Both functions will keep the lights on even you shut off the engine and remain inside. The lights will turn off when you open the driver door. The only difference is AUTO will keep the lights on for 30 seconds, then the lights will go off. This delay time can be set to 0 second (no delay) with special Toyota software called Techstream.
i always leave my light switch to AUTO and use Techstream to set “no delay” so when I open the door, the lights turn off instantly.
Hope I answered your question.

Last edited by GmanSC; 01-24-19 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 01:48 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe that if you lock the car manually, the alarm is still active

but I've been wrong before...
Old 02-01-19, 09:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nomods4me
I believe that if you lock the car manually, the alarm is still active

but I've been wrong before...
You’re not wrong this time. The alarm will arm with manual locking. If you open your car with the remote, the alarm will arm itself in 30 seconds after all doors are closed.
Old 02-03-19, 12:39 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I normally leave it on auto. if you hit the lock button twice on your key the lights should turn off rather than waiting for the auto shut off
Old 02-03-19, 02:00 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pnuge88
I normally leave it on auto. if you hit the lock button twice on your key the lights should turn off rather than waiting for the auto shut off
Use Techstream to set the delay time to zero. When you open the driver door, the lights turn off immediately.
Old 02-03-19, 03:37 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great info! I'm weell aware of techstream. I used to work for Lexus. I also know sometimes the dealer charges people to have a technician change settings for their vehicle. If someone didn't wanna go through that hassle and pay, they do have that option to just hit the lock button twice on their key.