SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

When purchasing car with overdue timing belt - deduct $ ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 07:28 AM
Oomfh
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default When purchasing car with overdue timing belt - deduct $ ?

Eyeing a 2003 that has the original timing belt. I used KBB to come up with a value, but even in excellent condition, shouldn’t there be a price adjustment for an overdue timing belt service? What’s a fair and reasonable calculation for this?
Old 12-11-18, 08:12 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m doubtful the seller will care much what you have to say about the timing belt if they’ve gone so long without changing the original. any negotiation techniques you can possibly use are always worth mentioning while trying to come to a price agreement, though.
Old 12-11-18, 08:24 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

The timing belt change is clearly overdue on the car you're looking at. Lexus charges ~$1400 to change the belt, water pump, etc. during the 9-year/90K mile service. You can normally simply buy the Aisin timing belt kit that includes all of the parts from Amazon for around $180 and pay an independent shop around $400-500 in labor to do the work.

I'd of course point out the need for the change and request the seller drop the price to account for the cost of having it done by Lexus. Can't hurt to ask...
Old 12-11-18, 09:36 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Oomfh
Eyeing a 2003 that has the original timing belt. I used KBB to come up with a value, but even in excellent condition, shouldn’t there be a price adjustment for an overdue timing belt service? What’s a fair and reasonable calculation for this?
Some things (many) I would prefer to get done myself, for peace of mind. What I would be worried of is the unknown, however I would use it as a negotiating argument accepting his $ cost estimate divide by 2 or 3. (remember you are buying a 16 years old car and not paying $65k+ his asking price is already age discounted)
Remember guys most of us here are not buyers but sellers, we help new buyers to find a good car does not have to be cheep car, do not devalue our SC430s lets keep the values of our sc430 high, make it more desirable and enjoyable by sharing our true experiences
Old 12-11-18, 11:31 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
Some things (many) I would prefer to get done myself, for peace of mind. What I would be worried of is the unknown, however I would use it as a negotiating argument accepting his $ cost estimate divide by 2 or 3. (remember you are buying a 16 years old car and not paying $65k+ his asking price is already age discounted)
Remember guys most of us here are not buyers but sellers, we help new buyers to find a good car does not have to be cheep car, do not devalue our SC430s lets keep the values of our sc430 high, make it more desirable and enjoyable by sharing our true experiences
Agree. It’s so sad to see the SC price’s continuously dropping. The SCs price should be in the 20Ks if not 30Ks.

Last edited by GmanSC; 12-11-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 03:10 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd be careful about buying an SC430 with significantly over due TB/WP service especially if the miles are way over 90k per TB service. To my way of thinking I'd wonder what other periodic maintenance the owner has skipped or short-cut on the car.

I'd be less worried if the car had low miles and it was just overdue in terms of total years.

I bought my 2004 SC430 with 27k miles in 2016 (purchased it same day it was posted for sale) with original TB and did the TB service right after I bought it. My car was in near mint condition so the seller just laughed at my attempt to negotiate on TB issue (or any issue) because his phone was literally ringing off the hook with folks wanting to come see the car.
Old 12-11-18, 05:32 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd be careful about buying an SC430 with significantly over due TB/WP service especially if the miles are way over 90k per TB service. To my way of thinking I'd wonder what other periodic maintenance the owner has skipped or short-cut on the car.

I'd be less worried if the car had low miles and it was just overdue in terms of total years.

I bought my 2004 SC430 with 27k miles in 2016 (purchased it same day it was posted for sale) with original TB and did the TB service right after I bought it. My car was in near mint condition so the seller just laughed at my attempt to negotiate on TB issue (or any issue) because his phone was literally ringing off the hook with folks wanting to come see the car.
when you buy 16 years old 90k miles car, most of the condition is visual and can be inspected, doubt surprises
Old 12-11-18, 07:57 PM
Oomfh
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Early on in my search I was ultra concerned about driving home any 4.3 liter Lexus that had an “expired” timing belt. As time went by I saw more (many, many more) listings where timing belts far exceeded the 9/90 schedule. Then someone on the FB SC430 owners forum said they had recently had their belt replaced on their 2002 with ~177K miles . So depending on the age and mileage, I’m now willing to drive a reasonable distance to get a car to my local Lexus dealer.
Thanks for all of the above input. I’m going to play the expired timing belt card during a negotiation tomorrow!

Last edited by Oomfh; 12-11-18 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:24 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey OO

I personally have owned 4 SC430 throughout the years

For me, I rather get a clean SC ( which was my case with
the 4 I owned) than to get the “ cheapest SC “ I can locate.

An SC with body work, damaged interior, curbed rims
repaint fenders are really not worth keeping in my opinion. The past
SC I owned had mileage between 27K to 69K and each time
I sold them , I ended up down maybe a few hundred dollars
after owing them for about a year each. I sold my past
SC for personal reasons and each SC I purchased did not
have the T/B ,W/P done.

My current SC is an 02 Pearl White with 47K on the clock
and the body and interior is mint. I probably paid more
a bit more than retail but again, the car is clean

In short, obviously buy what you can afford but dont
buy for the sake of a “ Good deal” . Trust me, you
might regret it after you realized how much fun an SC
and pleasure will give you

my .02
Old 12-12-18, 10:06 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oomfh
Early on in my search I was ultra concerned about driving home any 4.3 liter Lexus that had an “expired” timing belt. As time went by I saw more (many, many more) listings where timing belts far exceeded the 9/90 schedule. Then someone on the FB SC430 owners forum said they had recently had their belt replaced on their 2002 with ~177K miles . So depending on the age and mileage, I’m now willing to drive a reasonable distance to get a car to my local Lexus dealer.
Thanks for all of the above input. I’m going to play the expired timing belt card during a negotiation tomorrow!
My sixteen years of sc430 ownership, not have come across anyone cheated by bad sc430, although heard about sale by some dealerships.....
If the engine blows up because of the TB, engine replacement cost is $1500?

Last edited by Prasha; 12-12-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 08:01 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Keep us posted...you can't go wrong with an SC430. Even if you have to change the TB/WP yourself
Old 12-13-18, 09:55 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Maintenance records are overrated on 16 years old 90k miles. I would prefer to do maintenances myself and get little negotiating room, if a qualified mechanic's inspection gives OK.
Old 12-19-18, 06:18 PM
scarebus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a used car is always tricky unless you are buying from a person you know. If you are maintenance oriented you can pick out most of the fault just by inspection: engine compartment(look at the front corners for any repair work), under carriage for oil leaks, and mating of all panels and headlights, tail lights to see any unusual gaps etc. Inspect on a bright day to see any coloration changes between doors and fenders, especially the corners. Take a test drive, listen for unusual noise, let go the steeling to see the car runs straight, and press on the brake to see the car stops straight. Make sure the transmission shifts normal,(no lagging). While inside the car make sure all indicators, power windows, air conditioning, buttons on steering wheel etc. Don't forget to open and close the top. If you are not comfortable to check all these, take your mechanic with you. But IMHO if you can not perform these checks, I recommend you buy a SC430 that has few mileage regardless of year.

Last July I bought a 2005 Pebble Beach Edition with 39K miles. All original except the tires have been changed to regular. I didn't like the rear swaying after coming down from the hump cruising on FWY at 75 mph, so changed my coilovers to Toms. Last week bought the AISIN kit and did the Timing Belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioner, spark plugs and coolant. Today I did the rear differential with synthetic. Mag plug had 1/8" of metal sludge on the tip. Next will be a total flush on the transmission.