SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front end vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 05:37 PM
crocs430
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front end vibrating

Hello, I've been looking for an SC 430 for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on one today. I noticed the front end was sloppy and was hoping it was a bent rim or damaged tire. I just jacked the car up to remove the front tires. Once the wheels were off the ground I saw that both front wheels had quite a bit of play. After taking the wheels off I found the rotors both could be moved up, down, and to the sides about 1/16" or more. It would seem to me the rotors don't fit the hubs but I'm not sure what my next move is. I got a very good deal on the car from an older woman who had a brake job a year ago. She felt like there was something strange going on but never did anything about it. Today was my first time driving a convertible and now I'm hooked! Thanks for any advice

Last edited by crocs430; 01-25-19 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-19, 09:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to the forum crocs430 and congratulations on your acquisition.

Sounds like you will need some front end work for sure. Unfortunately, I'm not very well versed in that but I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in here soon who are. How handy are you? Are you capable and willing to do your own work or will you likely just take it to a mechanic for the work?
Old 01-26-19, 09:40 AM
crocs430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Welcome to the forum crocs430 and congratulations on your acquisition.

Sounds like you will need some front end work for sure. Unfortunately, I'm not very well versed in that but I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in here soon who are. How handy are you? Are you capable and willing to do your own work or will you likely just take it to a mechanic for the work?
Thanks for the reply, I am planning to do the work myself. I am concerned because the front rotors I've replaced in the past were a snug fit to the hub assemblies but these are a sloppy fit and I don't know if if they are some type of floating rotor. The rest of the front end looseness makes sense to me.
Old 01-26-19, 09:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 911 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by crocs430
Thanks for the reply, I am planning to do the work myself. I am concerned because the front rotors I've replaced in the past were a snug fit to the hub assemblies but these are a sloppy fit and I don't know if if they are some type of floating rotor. The rest of the front end looseness makes sense to me.
the rotors are tightened by the lugnuts and should be loose when you remove the wheel unless they are rusted to the hub.

btw, how many miles?
any records?
have you check the vin on the lexus website?
it shows all dealer maintenance, if applicable.

we are here to help!
Old 01-26-19, 05:22 PM
crocs430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip on the service history thru Lexus. The odometer shows 70,000 miles which is the main appeal of this particular car to me. The Lexus site shows the car had 142,000 miles five years ago. The car has a long list of problems requiring attention. With this latest revelation, the previous owner will let me have the car for $1500. It needs new wheels since somebody put acorn style antitheft lug nuts on the car and bore holes thru the rims. The car also seems to need to have the ECU rebuilt and the front suspension rebuilt. The engine seems good but is idling high at 1200 RPM's. Is this car worth saving?
Old 01-26-19, 06:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 911 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by crocs430
Thanks for the tip on the service history thru Lexus. The odometer shows 70,000 miles which is the main appeal of this particular car to me. The Lexus site shows the car had 142,000 miles five years ago. The car has a long list of problems requiring attention. With this latest revelation, the previous owner will let me have the car for $1500. It needs new wheels since somebody put acorn style antitheft lug nuts on the car and bore holes thru the rims. The car also seems to need to have the ECU rebuilt and the front suspension rebuilt. The engine seems good but is idling high at 1200 RPM's. Is this car worth saving?
sounds like a very dishonest seller and when it sounds to good to be true...it is...walk away from this one, save your money and pick up a much better one.