SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Growling Noise When Turning at a Low Speed or Crawl

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 04:55 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Growling Noise When Turning at a Low Speed or Crawl

Our SC makes low hum type of growling noise when turning at very low speeds or a crawl as though something is being strained. Could it be the power steering pump? Any thoughts of what source of this noise could be would be appreciated. TIA

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-26-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 05:39 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 474 Likes on 350 Posts

Control Arms? Does it clunk?

Dennis
Old 01-26-19, 07:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

I almost certain it’s power steering. Check your fluid level, check for leak.
Old 01-27-19, 02:14 AM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default noise

Is the noise present while parked or does the car need to be moving? If you have to be moving..possible rough tire or wheel bearing. If noise is present while sitting still..possible power steering or fan belt idler bearing. Just a few of common noise causes.
Old 01-27-19, 06:45 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Control Arms? Does it clunk?
Very good thought. When my wife backs out of the garage and then turns to drive away I do hear something I've never heard, therefore this may be a possibility.

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I almost certain it’s power steering. Check your fluid level, check for leak.
Another good thought, the fluid was the first thing that I checked and it's full or within the low and high fill lines. I did see some sort of spill of something on the splash guard but cannot tell what it is. I'm not very familiar with power steering pumps, perhaps a leak is not necessary for one to malfunction. Logic tells me that any type of pump can fail on it's own, so this could be the source of the problem even though it's not leaking.

Originally Posted by leexed
Is the noise present while parked or does the car need to be moving? If you have to be moving..possible rough tire or wheel bearing. If noise is present while sitting still..possible power steering or fan belt idler bearing. Just a few of common noise causes.
A third good thought. I thought about a wheel bearing also and did a test drive at about 40-50 MPH and turned the front wheels in each direction to try and detect a bad wheel bearing, but did not. I can't count the the idler bearing out.

I think all three of these thoughts are possibilities with one or two them being most probable. I will report back when this issue is resolved. Thanks

Update: I took it out for a drive this morning and right when I put it in reverse there was a low pitched whine and a very pronounced low pitched whine when turning left or right. The whine seemed to subside when the car warmed up, but can't be completely sure of that. It sure does seem like it has something to do with the power steering.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-27-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 07:58 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

How old is your SC? Mileage? Make sure your power steering pump is not leaking. Lay a white sheet of paper underneath the pump to collect the fluid if any. I’m sure hope it’s not the pump, because the leaking fluid will destroy your alternator.

Last edited by GmanSC; 01-27-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 08:06 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
How old is your SC? Mileage? Make sure your power steering pump is not leaking, the fluid will destroy the alternator.
It's an '06 with about 90k miles. Thanks for thought regarding fluid leaking on the alternator. If there is a leak it's a slight one, but it certainly sounds like the pump is failing and about ready to fail completely.
Old 01-28-19, 05:12 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

I had said previously in the initial post of this thread that I had checked the power steering fluid and "it's full or within the low and high fill lines", not so. The cylinder the power steering fluid resides in was stained or looked like it was full, it was not, the power steering pump had a leak in it, hence the reason for low pitch hum noise when turning right or left standing still or at a slow crawl. I had also noticed what I thought was a small water puddle on the garage floor and dismissed it as condensate. It was not condensate, it was clear or amber power steering fluid. Long story short, I had the power steering pump changed out and since the alternator was removed, replaced it also along with the idler pulley and serpentine belt. Thanks for all of the helpful thoughts of what the source of the noise in the initial post of this thread could have been.

PS What kind of bothers me is that all of this happened after a power steering flush and fill recommended by the local Toyota service department. Probably a coincidence, but odd timing.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-29-19 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 03:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Just a thought, when flushing (hence it is not recommended) something happens and as soon as the "cob webs" are displaced, funny things happen. In your case, it was time for a repair. Great investment though.
Old 01-30-19, 05:11 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Just a thought, when flushing (hence it is not recommended) something happens and as soon as the "cob webs" are displaced, funny things happen. In your case, it was time for a repair. Great investment though.
You somewhat confirmed my suspicion, it's like an old transmission, if flushed a lot can happen and I've witnessed that way back when. I mentioned it to Toyota and they said the opposite is true, it usually helps a power steering pump that may not be working properly. At that time I had the power steering fluid flushed and filled per their recommendation there was no issue with the pump or fluid, I was having the brake fluid replaced per the maintenance manual. I also question what power steering fluid they used, but I guess Dexron II or III comes in a couple of different colors. Needless to say, I did not have Toyota do the work because I was not completely satisfied with their answers. I had an independent mechanic do the work for about one third of the price they quoted, hence the reason I had quite a few items replaced, plus it's my wife's daily driver that I want running without any glitches.
Old 01-30-19, 08:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

My PS fluid is very red because I use the latest Dexron equivalent which is also compatible with Dexron III.
i believe 2002 called for PS Dexron III. Either way, fully compatible. Flushed the entire system at 63k miles right after I purchased the car. 105k miles now. Use the same fluid in the transmission...good to go.

I guess using the new fluid logic, you removed the “finger in the dyke” by dislodging a speck of dirt and you started leaking.
Old 01-30-19, 12:06 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
My PS fluid is very red because I use the latest Dexron equivalent which is also compatible with Dexron III.
i believe 2002 called for PS Dexron III. Either way, fully compatible. Flushed the entire system at 63k miles right after I purchased the car. 105k miles now. Use the same fluid in the transmission...good to go.

I guess using the new fluid logic, you removed the “finger in the dyke” by dislodging a speck of dirt and you started leaking.
I think if you are consistent with flushing and filling and begin it at a reasonable mileage interval, it's a good thing to do. I've flushed and filled my transmission a couple of times. I think where there is potential risk is if you wait till a higher mileage interval and do it for a first time.

Yes, the Dexron colors I was referring to were clear/amber and red. If I would have had the red equivalent I would have detected this problem much earlier because I would not have mistaken the light puddle in the garage as condensate.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-30-19 at 12:49 PM.