First pics of my new black onyx SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 11:25 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First pics of my new black onyx SC430

Stock with chrome wheels, ecru interior

Probably will replace the run flats, the ride is pretty busy with them. Also want to add Tom's roof spoiler. I'd like to lower the car too, it definitely would look better, but I'm afraid of messing up the spoilers...

First day I had it I had to drive through the first major monsoon of the year. I'm probably going to pay a local detailer to take care of the interior and exterior once a month, with me doing a light wash with car shampoo in between visits.

Last edited by ekovalsky; 08-01-03 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-01-03, 11:36 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Nice car, nice casa!
Old 08-01-03, 11:51 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great llooking sc! Mine is the exact same except i have saddle interior. I agree with the spoiler and lowering. You can buy TEIN lowing springs on ebay right now for this car! I also have the chrome wheels but i have remover the front emblem and tinted the windows 20% all around. The windows look awsome a black car. By the way, great looking house!
Old 08-01-03, 11:51 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Wow

I have a black/ecru 430 just like that, but my house ain't near so grand. Nice pad, as we used to say (and still do).
Old 08-02-03, 07:53 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Congrats on the car!! Did you get the One Grande products for it or is that the dealer's shine on the car! Nice wheels for stock. I wasn't sure if I'd like the stock chrome, as I've never seen them, but good choice. ENJOY!

Fulmitz
Old 08-02-03, 08:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice car & nice house !!
Old 08-02-03, 08:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Beautiful car and nice house too!!!
Old 08-02-03, 10:10 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

thanks for the compliments!

i was expecting to hate the stock wheels but actually like them (in chrome) and have gotten lots of compliments on them already.

i haven't waxed the car yet. it was prepped (pretty well) by Scottsdale Lexus but the first day i had it i had to drive it home in the biggest monsoon of the year -- it was like a hurricane so there are already water spots and dust on it but it still looks pretty nice. since it's black i think i'm going to bite the bullet and get the car professionally cleaned once a month by a local detailer. i'll probably give it a quick shampoo in between if it gets dirty. here in arizona sometimes a car will stay clean for weeks to months at a time since it rarely rains.

best experience of the week -- my friend, who has a new black SL500, was parked next to me and we were checking out each others cars. several passers-by complemented the SC430 and said nothing about the SL !!! put a big smile on my face and pissed him off a little, especially since he dropped $100k on that thing :

my car had a big scratch/gouge on the rear quarter panel behind the wheel well when i got it. dealer somehow got their plastic guy to fix it and it looks perfect now. they also got out a few stains (probably grease) on the interior. the wood panel in the driver door vibrates so i'll put them to work on that at my 30 day check.

Last edited by ekovalsky; 08-02-03 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 10:38 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Ahhh, the dreaded driverside wood panel vibration. They will tighten the speaker pack it with foam and when it returns they will tell you sorry, there is nothing more we can do, it's just the way the car is! Welcome to the Buzzing door problem!

Fulmtiz

p.s. otherwise I luv the car!
Old 08-02-03, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

best experience of the week -- my friend, who has a new black SL500, was parked next to me and we were checking out each others cars. several passers-by complemented the SC430 and said nothing about the SL !!! put a big smile on my face and pissed him off a little, especially since he dropped $100k on that thing :
I've done that a couple times. Some people can say whatever they want about the SC430's styling. But it's when you see the two cars parked next to each other in person, when you can see them in detail, that the Lexus's superior build quality/fit & finish immediately become obvious.

Anyway, love them both, but it's the concerns about quality & reliability for such an expensive car that made me hesitate to order the SL.
Old 08-03-03, 07:59 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>quality & reliability<
During the months I was waiting for my SC to arrive, I frequently sought information on MBs, Jags, BMWs, etc to determine if I should change my mind, but my interest always returned to the SC mainly for those two reasons.

When I ordered my SC, I had never seen one in person, let alone drive one. My first pleasant surprise was when I saw my car sitting at the service area entrance. The silver was actually silver - no overtones of green, pink, violet, or any other color, just pure silver. What a relief that was. The salesman put the top down and we sat in the car while he gave me some instructions so I could drive the 150 miles safely home. I hardly listened to him as I looked around the interior - what a handsome car! I told him the car was rich and elegant which are two things I ain't.

I realize that some people who spend this much money on a car are likely to defend it even if, down deep, they don't like it! In my case, every time I look at my SC it looks better than the last time and every time I drive it, I enjoy it more than the last time (especially without those damnable runflats).

I done good.
Old 08-04-03, 03:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed, you're so right! 11 months later and I still sneak out to the garage at night to take a peek at my silver SC430! The style is only half the story. The other half is the quality/fit/finish!
Old 08-04-03, 03:50 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

fulmitz,

believe it or not, that is what was left of the dealer shine.after I drove the car home the first night in a massive monsoon here in Arizona and I dried it off with a cotton towel once I got into my garage.

unfortunately each day more and more scratches and swirls in the clear coat are coming out. overall it still shines nicely, but up close it looks like it was buffed with steel wool! thanks scottsdale lexus! i'm getting a local detailer to work on it next week, he claims to be able to remove swirls and microscratches and has good references from owners of black cars.

i am planning on getting the OneGrand products (wash, omega glaze, and blitz wax). i previously was going to get Zaino but decided to follow the advice of Genearch and others with black cars who get great results with the OneGrand products Is the OneGrand stuff okay to put on by hand or will I need a PC or other power unit?
Old 08-04-03, 05:39 PM
fulmitz
Driver

I had the same problem with my car. There were scratches on the rear roof panel on the drivers side that looked like someone rubbed it with a brillo pad. the dealer took it and had it buffed and it still looked like crap! you could see glossy mirror reflection in the main roof and then the panel looked hazy. I got the Omega glaze and it CURED IT!!! completly got rid of the scratches .

It can be tricky to use. A little bit goes a long way, and really let it set for 10 minutes or so, but don't let it go too much longer or it is hard to clean up. I do it by hand and time 10 minutes to the nose. I find using 2 towels works better. the first is a terry cloth towel to get the majority of it off and I follow with a microfiber towel in my other hand to buff. Your car may seem streaky so buff with the microfiber towel to get it out. then put on the Blitz Wax and your done. In Arizona it must be great. Here in New Orleans I let it sit for 10-15 minutes to a haze, wipe it off and still have residue in the morning becuase of the humidity and I didn't get all the wax off in the first wipe (just can't see it til it dries completely.)

Goodl Luck

Fulmitz
p.s. unless it's really bad you may be able to get the swirls out yourself with the Omega Glaze. Just wash the car with Dawn to get the wax off, clay the car with Mother's or Clay Magic and then glaze and wax!
Old 08-11-03, 07:05 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

I remember when I took delivery on my SC430...this car is HOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!! no matter what anyone says! Congrats & don't even think of putting a front plate on that bumper!!!

Quick Reply: First pics of my new black onyx SC430