SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Longevity and Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19 | 03:43 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

I have a long history of dealer experience and whenever we had a vehicle come in with the a/c smelling like dirty socks...we simply sprayed lysol or a like product in the a/c recirculate air intake with the blower running. That made it smell sweet again!
Old 01-30-19 | 03:57 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70

its up to the individual...I happen to trust this proven product.

bottom line, fresh fluids usually mean thousands of trouble free miles.

Take care of your car and it will take care of you, by being reliable.
I trust BGW. They wouldn't make a fluid spec if it didn't work. So if the non toyota product meets the fluid spec, then it should be ok to use.

I usually buy my fluids from the Toyota dealer. I was surprised how affordable they were. I bought a case of Toyota Transmission fluid for $5 a bottle. Which is cheaper than Walmart's price of $5.88 for aftermarket fluid https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-T...d-1Qt/17253554.

But if you buy it in gallon jugs, it is another story.
Old 01-30-19 | 04:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I trust BGW. They wouldn't make a fluid spec if it didn't work. So if the non toyota product meets the fluid spec, then it should be ok to use.

I usually buy my fluids from the Toyota dealer. I was surprised how affordable they were. I bought a case of Toyota Transmission fluid for $5 a bottle. Which is cheaper than Walmart's price of $5.88 for aftermarket fluid https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-T...d-1Qt/17253554.

But if you buy it in gallon jugs, it is another story.
that is an incredible price!
the best I could find on eBay or Amazon was $45 for six shipped.
Old 01-30-19 | 04:54 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70

that is an incredible price!
the best I could find on eBay or Amazon was $45 for six shipped.
The case was 12 quarts, so it came to a total of $60. I wasn't going to buy that much, but I asked the counter guy if he would give me a discount if I bought a case. I didn't really have a target price in mind; I just wanted to see what would happen if I asked him for a discount. From past experience, I know that dealer counter people have all kinds of discount ranges they can give independent shops, so I figure it never hurts to ask.
Old 01-30-19 | 05:32 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Does not seem to be genuine Toyota for $5.
Old 01-30-19 | 05:53 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Don't forget to spend an extra $60 for spark plugs, PVC vale & Grommet, then clean the throttle body while you are there. You wont regret.
Old 01-30-19 | 06:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
The case was 12 quarts, so it came to a total of $60. I wasn't going to buy that much, but I asked the counter guy if he would give me a discount if I bought a case. I didn't really have a target price in mind; I just wanted to see what would happen if I asked him for a discount. From past experience, I know that dealer counter people have all kinds of discount ranges they can give independent shops, so I figure it never hurts to ask.
you’re a Dashing smooth talker! ;-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-11-19 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-30-19 | 06:48 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Thanks guys, this is great stuff. I’ll make sure to get the fluids changed over the next few days. Wondering how many more years I can get out of this car. 13 years old but 95k miles. I’m guessing a good amount since 2002 SC430s are still out there running fine.

Do my historical repairs sound excessive to you or does that sound about right?

I have part 55902-24060 coming on the way, set me back $1.5k but much better than $2,008 retail. I’ll be curious to see if this is the full climate control unit or if it’s just the computer / guts and I’ll have to put the front bezel/facia on it with the buttons. It was hard to tell from the diagram. Really hope it’s the full part for the price I’m paying
Old 01-31-19 | 08:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nprest2
Thanks guys, this is great stuff. I’ll make sure to get the fluids changed over the next few days. Wondering how many more years I can get out of this car. 13 years old but 95k miles. I’m guessing a good amount since 2002 SC430s are still out there running fine.

Do my historical repairs sound excessive to you or does that sound about right?

I have part 55902-24060 coming on the way, set me back $1.5k but much better than $2,008 retail. I’ll be curious to see if this is the full climate control unit or if it’s just the computer / guts and I’ll have to put the front bezel/facia on it with the buttons. It was hard to tell from the diagram. Really hope it’s the full part for the price I’m paying
why did you purchase this part new?
its the AC and nav Control, correct?

plenty of excellent parts on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-LEXUS-...kAAOSwzTFb~zd9

there is also a vendor on Club Lexus who repairs this control.
Tanin Auto.

check out this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ol-lcds-4.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-31-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-31-19 | 10:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Awesome tip on the TMPS, thank you for that. Is this something discount tire will be able to take care of if I supply the new sensors next time I change tires, wonder if they can handle or do I risk them not working properly with my dash.

Looks like the sensors are $100 retail, $81 from the website I use, and even less on rock auto.
Discount Tire can replace your TPS but they cannot program them into your system. You will have to take it to a dealer or an indie who has the proper equipment to get that done. However, if you own or buy a Techstream, you can program them yourself. Just be sure to have the Techstream in hand and up and running before you change the TPS out, otherwise, you will get 5 loud beeps every 2 1/2 minutes until you do, and yes, it is very annoying!
Old 02-01-19 | 07:07 AM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

I bought my car almost 2 years ago as well. It had close to 150k miles then, now it has 162k. It was in rough shape when we bought it (we knew that before we purchased it). Spent close to $4k.

Engine mounts
Battery
Starter
Valve Cover Gasket
Timing Belt and Water Pump
Stop Lamp Switch (would not shift out of park)

Now, it's back to tip top shape - just had it in for an oil change and inspection.

This week - ditching the run flats on the car and purchasing Michelin's Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus tires - can't wait to see how it drives now! Tire pressure sensors haven't worked since I purchased the car. I will go with aftermarket sensors and do a wireless system. Wasn't crazy about the light that doesn't tell you the readings like cars do today.
Would like to upgrade the sound system at some point. My antenna broke so now I need to get a replacement and researching the forum.

Love my car. It's an 03 with now 162k and drives great. I also found a Lexus mechanic to work on my car - LexTech in Atlanta. It's a fun car and my other car is a mini van!
Old 02-01-19 | 09:37 AM
bgeeez
Rookie

got my 06 with 96k on 12/26/18. it now has 108k. it came with a limited 3 year warranty from the dealer. radiator top blew up so the warranty covered the radiator and new hoses, and i got my ball joints replaced as well for free while i was there.

had a leak from the thermostat housing so re did the gasket.

front rotors were warped (they looked machined so i think they may have been the original rotors) so i did new rotors and pads.

I have intermittent spiral cable issues (steering wheel controls dont work sometimes) but that doesnt bother me that much.

HID would short out so i replaced both bulbs.

the rear diff bushings are shot, it clunks sometimes when i downshift with the manual mode.

that is all i can think of at the moment.

otherwise its been an amazing daily driver (30 miles round trip to work)
Old 02-01-19 | 09:57 AM
nprest2
Rookie

That’s great, glad no one is having huge issues makes me feel good about being able to get another 60k+ miles out of my SC. I love it and want to keep driving it for as long as I can.

I just bought the newer climate control thinking older ones may have issues down the road like this one did and some of them have beat up facia and I wanted a newer looking one. Some of the plastics in my car were faded/discolored for some reason so I changed them out. The shifter face plate for example and my radio. Bought shifter new OEM and radio for eBay. Thought buying the old radio new isn’t worth it and I would go aftermarket CarPlay if this did not work.

Right now actually I can’t hear my car radio at all but can hear Bluetooth phone. Currently being investigated whether it’s a speaker problem or something else.

All of the mechanics have been sound it’s just these little ancillary things that have been giving trouble.

My front low beam went out also. $250 part + 60 labor at the dealer but I bought the OEM bulb for $150 at lexuspartsnow
Old 02-01-19 | 10:24 AM
iolmaster
Racer

That’s great, glad no one is having huge issues makes me feel good about being able to get another 60k+ miles out of my SC. I love it and want to keep driving it for as long as I can.

I just bought the newer climate control thinking older ones may have issues down the road like this one did and some of them have beat up facia and I wanted a newer looking one. Some of the plastics in my car were faded/discolored for some reason so I changed them out. The shifter face plate for example and my radio. Bought shifter new OEM and radio for eBay. Thought buying the old radio new isn’t worth it and I would go aftermarket CarPlay if this did not work.

Right now actually I can’t hear my car radio at all but can hear Bluetooth phone. Currently being investigated whether it’s a speaker problem or something else.

All of the mechanics have been sound it’s just these little ancillary things that have been giving trouble.

My front low beam went out also. $250 part + 60 labor at the dealer but I bought the OEM bulb for $150 at lexuspartsnow
I hate to tell you this but the OEM bulb is nothing more than a Philips D4S and can be had on Amazon for about $45.00 each. Also, any one can install the TPMS. You will have to pair them with your car and none of the tire places are able to do this. Many of us have TechStream and have done it ourselves. Other than that you will have to take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealer to pair the sensors.
Old 02-01-19 | 10:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

if money is not a problem then you are fine...your car will continue to need replacement parts and TLC due to age and mileage.

these cars will go well over 200k miles but things will continue to wear out or need replacing. It came with quality parts and workmanship.

Quick Reply: SC430 Longevity and Reliability