SC430 Longevity and Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:19 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC430 Longevity and Reliability

Good morning fellow SC430 enthusiasts

As some of you may know about 1.5-2 years ago I purchased a 2006 SC430 with about 75k miles on the clock. Since then I have driven approximately 20k miles and made some repairs along the way.

Below is a list of the repairs and changes I have made:
- New timing belt / water pump ~$1k Surprisingly this was not replaced by the previous owner, although the mileage did not yet cal for a replacement, the age of the car was way overdue.
- Replaced alternator. $450 Car would not start, thought it was the battery initially and replaced that but turned out that was not the problem. Went with a remanufactured alternator from my local independent body shop, apparently they do not a have Lexus OEM part.
- Replaced Package Tray Link Motor Assembly $900. This is the motor that pushes out the back flap when the top retracts. The left side would not come all the way out causing the top to not close. The motor started wearing out and no longer had the power to push this piece out.
- Replaced O2 Sensor $500. This was a scary incident. Indicator light was lit on dash due to the faulty sensor. Lexus dealer said I may have a seized manifold that would cost over $2k to replace. I went to an independent Lexus repair shop and manifold is fine (little bit of rust) and they replaced the O2 sensor for about $200 less than dealer charges.

Ive made a few cosmetic replacements that were not required: my radio was stained an I bought a better looking refurbished radio from EBay and installed myself for $359 and also replaced the shifter indicator trim piece for $190

Most recently, I had the convertible top button on the AC climate control console go bad. I was told the entire part needs to be replaced. The wires work (shop built a quick switch to test it) but the climate control console does not. The AC dual climate button also does not toggle. I know I could buy one of these used on EBay for $300-400 but I decided to purchase a new one online for $1.5k and saved $500 vs. dealer parts department.

I am wondering if there are any other big ticket repairs I can expect. The car is now 13 years old, 95k miles. Do you guys think I can get another 80-100k miles out of it or will I experience more problems? Fortunately these repairs have all been perishable items as opposed to engine, tranny, etc.

What repairs have you all had to make over the years and what was the cost. Wondering what else I can expect. I know tire pressure sensors may go at some point but wondering what else there is.

Last edited by nprest2; 01-30-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 08:57 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

With the exception of your package tray link motor and your convertible top button, all the rest of it seems normal. At this point I have also replaced all 4 shocks of which two were warranty items, dropped the tranny pan to reseal the gasket, had the headlamp levelling sensor replaced early in the vehicle's life (warranty), replaced all 4 TPMS, changed HID to 6000 K, replaced drivers side door lock actuator, replaced Mark Levinson door speakers with better sounding aftermarkets at $25 each and a few oher little things. I think this car makes it to 200,000 miles if I want. Now at 94,000. Next thing could be cleaning out the ac system of mould. It smells a little in summer.
Old 01-30-19, 08:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Have the fluids changed.
transmission fluid
brake fluid
power steering fluid
rear differential oil
HVAC air filter

your anti freeze was changed with the timing belt/water pump.
engine oil, oil filter and air filter is routine.
Old 01-30-19, 10:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Have the fluids changed.
transmission fluid
brake fluid
power steering fluid
rear differential oil
HVAC air filter

BGW, when you say HVAC air filter are you referring to the cabin filter?
Old 01-30-19, 11:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
BGW, when you say HVAC air filter are you referring to the cabin filter?
yes sir...I should have used cabin air filter.
Old 01-30-19, 11:47 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Have the fluids changed.
transmission fluid
brake fluid
power steering fluid
rear differential oil
HVAC air filter

thank you. To confirm are these items I should take care of now or are you referring to what you have had done over the life of ownership.

Im curious if anyone had tire pressure sensors or other electronics blow on them. I haven’t had this yet, hoping my independent Lexus shop will be less expensive than the dealer ($300 each).
Old 01-30-19, 12:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nprest2

thank you. To confirm are these items I should take care of now or are you referring to what you have had done over the life of ownership.

Im curious if anyone had tire pressure sensors or other electronics blow on them. I haven’t had this yet, hoping my independent Lexus shop will be less expensive than the dealer ($300 each).
since you have 95k miles, I would do them all now...unless it’s been done already.
certain items should be done more often.

also, the OEM Denso cabin air filter and engine air filter are $8-$9 each at Rockauto.com
a huge savings over the dealer or local parts store.
Old 01-30-19, 12:25 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

Your TPMS are not long for this world. I would plan on changing them the next time you have new tires installed.
Old 01-30-19, 12:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Your TPMS are not long for this world. I would plan on changing them the next time you have new tires installed.
good point...looks like they sell them on Rockauto.com...I picked mine up on eBay for less money and they were Toyota, Denso is OEM also.
the prices are better from Rockauto.com
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+sensor,12036

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...24031&_sacat=0
Old 01-30-19, 01:03 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Awesome tip on the TMPS, thank you for that. Is this something discount tire will be able to take care of if I supply the new sensors next time I change tires, wonder if they can handle or do I risk them not working properly with my dash.

Looks like the sensors are $100 retail, $81 from the website I use, and even less on rock auto.

Realy great tip tip on the air filters, thanks bgw70.

Where do you guys get your cars serviced? I have an independent local shop near me that is good, honest, reliable. I also go to an independent Lexus shop in Atlanta (less convenient but they know their stuff and cheaper than dealer..I go here for bigger repairs), and the dealer (fixed my convertible top motor with them). I wonder if my independent non-Lexus shop can handle the fluids for me as that will be the lowest cost. Are there Lexus OEM fluids or will any good quality fluid suffice?
The following users liked this post:
CoffeeGirl (05-26-19)
Old 01-30-19, 01:37 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Good quality fluids will be just fine. Which is your local Lexus shop in Atlanta that is not a dealer. Know one in Marietta that did good work on my car.
The following users liked this post:
CoffeeGirl (05-13-19)
Old 01-30-19, 01:38 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Are there Lexus OEM fluids or will any good quality fluid suffice?
Yeah BGW, Are there Lexus OEM fluids or will any good quality Fluid Suffice? (He said in a friendly chiding manner)
Old 01-30-19, 02:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Yeah BGW, Are there Lexus OEM fluids or will any good quality Fluid Suffice? (He said in a friendly chiding manner)
not here for the famous fluids battle.

i have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF for years and thousands of miles in different cars.
i did my research and it meets or exceeds the OEM specification.
this fluid goes in the ATF and Power Steering of my 2002 and the 2007 SC430s. Yes the 2007 calls for World Standard.
it has also gone in my relatives 2010 Camry V6 with 150k miles and a 2014 Corolla with over 100k.
my 2008 Accord V6 has it in the ATF.

should I keep going?

its up to the individual...I happen to trust this proven product.

bottom line, fresh fluids usually mean thousands of trouble free miles.

Take care of your car and it will take care of you, by being reliable.
Old 01-30-19, 02:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome tip on the TMPS, thank you for that. Is this something discount tire will be able to take care of if I supply the new sensors next time I change tires, wonder if they can handle or do I risk them not working properly with my dash.

Looks like the sensors are $100 retail, $81 from the website I use, and even less on rock auto.

Realy great tip tip on the air filters, thanks bgw70.

Where do you guys get your cars serviced? I have an independent local shop near me that is good, honest, reliable. I also go to an independent Lexus shop in Atlanta (less convenient but they know their stuff and cheaper than dealer..I go here for bigger repairs), and the dealer (fixed my convertible top motor with them). I wonder if my independent non-Lexus shop can handle the fluids for me as that will be the lowest cost. Are there Lexus OEM fluids or will any good quality fluid suffice?
i do my own periodic maintenance and have a local guy to do some huge jobs. The dealer did my air bags.

your Indy can certainly do the fluids. If you like, call and ask what type he would use in your car.
share it with us and we can provide an opinion.

your ATF in your 2006 takes the newer World Standard type of fluid.
Old 01-30-19, 02:27 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by OBP
Good quality fluids will be just fine. Which is your local Lexus shop in Atlanta that is not a dealer. Know one in Marietta that did good work on my car.
LexTechs of Atlanta, highly recommended

Quick Reply: SC430 Longevity and Reliability