SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

limited sound output

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 04:40 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default limited sound output

2003 SC; did some search and looks like I have a bad amp? radio and CD sounds ok at low volume, but as I increase sound, it will immediately go in and out. Even at low volume it will eventually stop sounding after about 30 minutes or less, If this is a problem with bad amp what are my options? or is this related to the head-unit itself? thanks.
Old 02-02-19, 05:50 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
2003 SC; did some search and looks like I have a bad amp? radio and CD sounds ok at low volume, but as I increase sound, it will immediately go in and out. Even at low volume it will eventually stop sounding after about 30 minutes or less, If this is a problem with bad amp what are my options? or is this related to the head-unit itself? thanks.
is the sound distorted like bad speakers, very common, or it could be the amp.

speaker repair is very easy along with the amp...

the thread right below discusses the amp...

do a search on speaker repair, here and on eBay.

search SC430 speaker repair

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-02-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 07:48 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

If your sound is becoming intermittent when you increase the volume, it sounds like your amp is overheating. Check to make sure that your amp's fan still turns first. If the fan is still turning, you probably need to either get the amp repaired or replaced. I believe that a couple of the guys have found places that repair the amps while others have just replaced them with used ones off of ebay for somewhere between $100 & $200.
Old 02-03-19, 12:03 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is the speakers, you can actually order the speaker repair kit on amazon!
Old 02-03-19, 02:05 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Bad amp. Time to replace with new one. Amazon and EBay is the answer.
Old 02-04-19, 10:33 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

thanks everyone, looks like a replacement amp and speaker rebuild. for the amp, is there after market one i can plug-n-play? i don't need anything fancy just decent sound.

I do miss the old Nakamichi that came with the original LS/SC. those things were so reliable and great sounding system.
Old 02-04-19, 11:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

thanks everyone, looks like a replacement amp and speaker rebuild. for the amp, is there after market one i can plug-n-play? i don't need anything fancy just decent sound.

I do miss the old Nakamichi that came with the original LS/SC. those things were so reliable and great sounding system.
go to eBay or car-part.com to locate a used OEM amp
Old 03-16-19, 09:21 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Finally solved the sound cutting off. information came from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...l-sc430-9.html. I too tried the replacement amp and the problem persisted.

- did the speaker elimination process to narrow down the source. left and rear player perfectly without cutting out and only left front had the problem.
- removed the right door panel and unplugged each of the speaker and found the bottom bass speaker was the culprit. I even tried the left speaker to ensure it was the right bass speaker.
- I am a novice when it comes to sound systems in a car. with this experiment i learned speaker can actually fail without a visual failure.I have replaced with a Pioneer from BestBuy for $49. May be in the future, I may upgrade to modern head unit but for now, I am a happy camper and perfect time to have my sound restored in my SC.
Old 03-16-19, 09:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Just so you understand.... those Pioneer speakers are 4ohm, not 8ohm....the Mark Levinson amp “wants/needs” 8ohms for the door woofers. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...TS-A692F#specs

A 4-ohm speaker requires more power from an amplifier than an 8-ohm speaker to produce the same loudness of sound. This is due to the relationship between voltage, current and resistance in electronic circuits; for a given voltage, a lower impedance means a greater current.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/s...4-ohm-vs-8-ohm

In the simplest terms, driving 4ohm speakers requires a little more juice, albeit a neglible difference, for the same volume level as 8ohm speakers, thus you can overheat the amp and potentially shorten its overall life.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-16-19 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added graphic & edited statement
The following users liked this post:
WylerLexus (01-27-21)
Old 03-16-19, 11:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Finally solved the sound cutting off. information came from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...l-sc430-9.html. I too tried the replacement amp and the problem persisted.

- did the speaker elimination process to narrow down the source. left and rear player perfectly without cutting out and only left front had the problem.
- removed the right door panel and unplugged each of the speaker and found the bottom bass speaker was the culprit. I even tried the left speaker to ensure it was the right bass speaker.
- I am a novice when it comes to sound systems in a car. with this experiment i learned speaker can actually fail without a visual failure.I have replaced with a Pioneer from BestBuy for $49. May be in the future, I may upgrade to modern head unit but for now, I am a happy camper and perfect time to have my sound restored in my SC.
Nice debugging job sightdev.
I agree with VVTiBob, you're safer matching the speaker impedance with the proper values, though there are some on the forum that have used the 4Ω speakers for a long time without problems.
Old 03-16-19, 01:35 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

i just needed to restore the sound quickly hence cheap set of speakers. i do have a plan to eventually get a new head unit w/beat sonic and recycle just the ML amp and ML subwoofer. thanks for he recommendations.