SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

D2 Coilovers - ride and drop experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 10:58 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default D2 Coilovers - ride and drop experience?

Just brought home a new to me 2003 SC 430 (it will be new to wife tomorrow; biggest Valentines gift ever!). Original suspension all around at 186K, but that said, ride is not too bad. New shocks all around will probably make it I much better ride. I start this thread taht probably has ample past discussion not because I'm lazy, but because I found that I cannot search or locate my past posts/threads anymore, although my profile still shows a total count of each. I need to talk to the mods. So please indulge my query while research functions are impaired.

Given price similarities on-line, I am weighing OEM shocks or OEM + KYB vs. performance coilovers such as D2 racing products. Can anybody comment on the actual lowering to expect with these parts installed, and if there would be any clearance issues running stock tire and wheel sizes? Regrets or compliments after choosing them? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-19, 12:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Just brought home a new to me 2003 SC 430 (it will be new to wife tomorrow; biggest Valentines gift ever!). Original suspension all around at 186K, but that said, ride is not too bad. New shocks all around will probably make it I much better ride. I start this thread taht probably has ample past discussion not because I'm lazy, but because I found that I cannot search or locate my past posts/threads anymore, although my profile still shows a total count of each. I need to talk to the mods. So please indulge my query while research functions are impaired.

Given price similarities on-line, I am weighing OEM shocks or OEM + KYB vs. performance coilovers such as D2 racing products. Can anybody comment on the actual lowering to expect with these parts installed, and if there would be any clearance issues running stock tire and wheel sizes? Regrets or compliments after choosing them? Thanks in advance.
the search function is not working for anyone and it has been reported here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sit...s-missing.html

Old 02-13-19, 12:35 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Congrats ! Your wife will be so happy.
Old 02-13-19, 05:17 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

congratulations. Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 02-14-19, 10:25 AM
NocGTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a pretty awesome Valentine's gift, better than a cookie for sure.

I'll be getting a set of MeisterR coilovers install tomorrow, should be pretty good.
Got a Sunday drive / cruise to attend next Sunday, so want the car driving it's best.
Not to mention the OEM suspension I feel is pretty "rough", especially over bumpy roads.
Old 02-14-19, 11:04 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pnuge88
congratulations. Pics or it didn't happen!
Yup. Once it stops raining in Vegas, I will snap some pics. I have some night time photos already, but need daylight to do her justice. It had a full detail and I raced to get it into a valet parking garage at the the restaurant we will be dining in tonight. But the rain won that race, so she's not spot-free, but still pretty clean. We will check-in with another car at valet, and I will swap the claim tickets on the way out. Wife should be stunned. Based on the weather, tonight will not be her first drop-top cruise unfortunately.
Old 02-14-19, 11:11 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Ok, went with night pics just because it looks like photo ops in good conditions will be elusive for a while.
Is that real enough? I know there is not a lot of love for these wheels within the enthusiast community, but I'lm ok with them. Especially since an alternative would cost close to half or a third of what I have in the car! One wheel has some curb rash on the main "pie plate," so I will be looking for that piece or an entire wheel. That ding aside, I have never seen a 16 year-old car (or half that age) present with such clean aesthetics on original paint and trim. The interior is equal in remarkable condition, but the front seats were reupholstered in the past year. Nearing 187,000 on the odometer, but a JDM transplant engine (original failed when TB and WP were replaced - bad WP resulted in an overheat, but manufacturer covered the engine) and a transmission rebuild have lower mileage. There are some small discrepancies, but for now I'm looking at shocks on all four corners, a rear main seal, and maybe an axle (slight grease leak at inner left boot). Thankfully all the window operators and lock servos were recently "done." Half life left on conventional tires, but I'm one of those dudes who won't rest easy without some sort of flat protection. I may just get a spare and the cover, not full kit; to throw in for road trips.

Last edited by zippinbye; 02-14-19 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added text
Old 02-14-19, 12:03 PM
NocGTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the "Pie Wheel", just not on the SC430.
Seen it on the older SC300 and it actually look really good and quite special.

For the wheels, you can grab a set of new centre plate on Ebay for about $100.

Cheap and Cheerful "Change".
Old 02-14-19, 12:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye

I did a google search and found several threads about coilovers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...coilovers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...roll-call.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...c-430-a-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ushings-2.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-14-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 04:38 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet ride! I've always loved the blue, but the older gen models had that hideous 'Yellow" wood trim. Not a big fan. I almost settled with an older model, but pray everything works out this weekend to pick up my 2008 SC430!! I actually just moved to Vegas, too!! the weather is horrible right now!!
Old 02-15-19, 10:23 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pnuge88
Sweet ride! I've always loved the blue, but the older gen models had that hideous 'Yellow" wood trim. Not a big fan. I almost settled with an older model, but pray everything works out this weekend to pick up my 2008 SC430!! I actually just moved to Vegas, too!! the weather is horrible right now!!
the dark wood trim is much more elegant indeed. But the light color beats the heck out of plastic, and I can live with it for the buy-in price. If I were highly motivated and sick of the color (neither applies,yet) I could do a carbon fiber wrap or other mod. But stock will do.

Last edited by zippinbye; 02-15-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 09:20 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

So how did the surprise go with your wife?

Was the reupholstering done back to original or did they change it up a bit? (Post some pictures when you get the chance.)
Old 02-18-19, 01:55 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NocGTR
That is a pretty awesome Valentine's gift, better than a cookie for sure.

I'll be getting a set of MeisterR coilovers install tomorrow, should be pretty good.
Got a Sunday drive / cruise to attend next Sunday, so want the car driving it's best.
Not to mention the OEM suspension I feel is pretty "rough", especially over bumpy roads.
Noc....what part of Teas are you located ?