SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Master key question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 01:18 PM
oldbenz1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Master key question

I am the 3rd owner of my '07 SC. It came to me with one master key, one valet key, and a flat key. I have no way to determine what happened to the other original master key, but I'd like to have a spare master just in case............... I've read on this forum that Lexus allows only 2 master keys so here's my question(s): A-: If I buy a new master key head and blade and have it cut and programmed by local locksmith will my current existing master key be subsequently disabled by Lexus thereby causing a waste of time and money? And B-: if this is the case does anyone have an idea how I can end up with 2 master keys without paying the exorbitant dealer fee for making a 2nd master key?
Old 03-18-19, 01:39 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

You’re right loss of the both master keys can very very EXPENSIVE. As you know two master key slots are available to the Immobilizer ECU along with the valet and flat key. Techstream software can do a lot... programming a new master should kick out the missing one. You can attempt the multi-step method to avoid using techstream. Watch the video below...

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-18-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 05:07 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbenz1
I am the 3rd owner of my '07 SC. It came to me with one master key, one valet key, and a flat key. I have no way to determine what happened to the other original master key, but I'd like to have a spare master just in case............... I've read on this forum that Lexus allows only 2 master keys so here's my question(s): A-: If I buy a new master key head and blade and have it cut and programmed by local locksmith will my current existing master key be subsequently disabled by Lexus thereby causing a waste of time and money? And B-: if this is the case does anyone have an idea how I can end up with 2 master keys without paying the exorbitant dealer fee for making a 2nd master key?
You can have more than 2 masters registered. You can also have more than 3 keys registered. You can turn your valet into a master if you want. Techstream is the easiest way to program keys, but the pedal and lock dance works well too. You can't register more keys than there is slots. Your ecu wont delete keys if all spots are full unless you tell it to.

Edit to add: I think you are allowed to have up to ten keys registered.
Old 03-19-19, 08:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauser
You can have more than 2 masters registered. You can also have more than 3 keys registered. You can turn your valet into a master if you want. Techstream is the easiest way to program keys, but the pedal and lock dance works well too. You can't register more keys than there is slots. Your ecu wont delete keys if all spots are full unless you tell it to.

Edit to add: I think you are allowed to have up to ten keys registered.
four keys, regardless of type, is the max in the SC430.

the blade key in the pouch will unlock everything but you cannot start the car because it has no chip. You can start the car with this blade key if you also have the key card. The key card has a chip and the chip is programmed to the ignition immobilizer like a valet or master key.

once you program four keys, TechStream must be used to delete all the keys, then you program them again. The master/valet you are using during this process is not deleted but the others are.

also, all of the keys have the same programming...the term master vs valet is a physical difference.
masters key have a raised line on the side of the key, this key can physically operate all locks in the car.

The valet key does NOT have the raised line on the side and it only operates the physical door Lock and ignition lock.

as for the electronics, you have two areas. Immobilize the ignition or remotely operate the doors, trunk and alarm.
you must program the immobilizer to allow the engine to fire and start. Otherwise, the engine will just turn over but never fire. I think the fuel injectors are disabled.

you must also program the door locks to the key module. Valet keys from Lexus don’t have the buttons, so no remote door, trunk or alarm operation is available.

recap, 4 ECU key slots available
2-master keys
1-valet key
1-key card

hope this makes sense and I think I am mostly correct.

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-27-23 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 08:37 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

four keys, regardless of type, is the max in the SC430.
the blade key in the pouch will only unlock everything but you cannot start the car because it has no chip.
I stand corrected. Thank you. I apologize for giving the wrong info.
Old 03-19-19, 09:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mauser
I stand corrected. Thank you. I apologize for giving the wrong info.
no problem and no need to apologize!
i learn something new everyday day on CL
Old 03-19-19, 12:20 PM
VVTiBob

...the blade key in the pouch will only unlock everything but you cannot start the car because it has no chip.
If, when you say “pouch” you are referring to what Lexus Owner’s Manual calls the “flat key” but most of us call it the wallet key. You are technically incorrect. While the key, by itself, cannot start the car, if you have the original Lexus Flat Key holder (see below) then by following the printed instruction on the back of the holder the car will start. The “chip” is located inside the card, or flat key holder, by the arrowhead triangle.

Note: the opposite side of the key holder has the car’s five digit key code as well as a 800 number to Lexus for getting assistance.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-19-19 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (03-20-19)
Old 03-19-19, 12:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob

If, when you say “pouch” you are referring to what Lexus Owner’s Manual calls the “flat key” but most of us call it the wallet key. You are technically incorrect. While the key, by itself, cannot start the car, if you have the original Lexus Flat Key holder (see below) then by following the printed instruction on the back of the holder the car will start. The “chip” is located inside the card, or flat key holder, by the arrowhead triangle.

Note: the opposite side of the key holder has the car’s five digit key code as well as a 800 number to Lexus for getting assistance.
thanks Bob, you just taught me something new! did I make any other mistakes?
i need to look at my 2007 key card. I don’t have one for the 2002.

Old 03-19-19, 12:57 PM
VVTiBob

No other mistakes. But it wouldn’t make a lot of sense for Lexus to provide a wallet key that would not start the car.
Old 03-19-19, 12:58 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was in the process of programming another key for my 05 using the door opening/closing method, I don't know how I accidentally disabled my original master key because I stopped in the middle of the process. It cranked the car, but couldn't start it.

Does anyone know happened? Luckily, I was able to program the original master key and also the other key. I started having cold sweat!
Old 03-19-19, 01:23 PM
VVTiBob

Sure it was the process and how the software works, i.e. stopping or interrupting the programming processes. Fortunately all’s well that ends well. The loss of both master keys can become very expensive.
Old 03-19-19, 01:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, looks just like yours Bob. Now I need to program the card to the ignition.
that will make it four, the limit.
two masters
valet
key card

Old 03-19-19, 02:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I just realized I have three masters and valet already programmed.
the key card is still sealed and I will leave it that way.