SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 roof hardtop won’t close

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 11:27 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I think I can take a switch off a hinge I replaced. Would it be helpful for me to send it to you and you can try it out before buying the ecu?

Also, did u check the wiring harness going to the switch for a broken or crimped wire?
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (05-26-19)
Old 04-29-19, 11:52 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I think I can take a switch off a hinge I replaced. Would it be helpful for me to send it to you and you can try it out before buying the ecu?

Also, did u check the wiring harness going to the switch for a broken or crimped wire?
when I went to send you the pictures, I noticed the labeling of the terminals and when I tested for continuity on the correct terminals this time, my multimeter read continuity while the switch was pressed and released, indicating it is in fact a faulty switch. Boy am I happy I double checked! If you would send me your switch that would be greatly appreciated! And I would be more than happy to pay you for it.

JTho (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 12:55 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Nice catch! Guess the old adage, measure twice .... works here too.
Old 04-29-19, 03:27 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jksc
when I went to send you the pictures, I noticed the labeling of the terminals and when I tested for continuity on the correct terminals this time, my multimeter read continuity while the switch was pressed and released, indicating it is in fact a faulty switch. Boy am I happy I double checked! If you would send me your switch that would be greatly appreciated! And I would be more than happy to pay you for it.
Is the switch on the left or right hinge?
Old 04-29-19, 03:37 PM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Right, passenger side hinge
Old 04-29-19, 04:59 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Great, I will dig out the hinge from storage and see about getting the switch out. I will get back to you tomorrow.
Old 04-29-19, 05:01 PM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Sounds good, thanks a lot really appreciate it!
Old 04-30-19, 10:50 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I pulled the switch out, but it isn't exactly like yours. My harness doesn't have the numbers and the wire colors are different.

Also, the wire harness has three pins, but it looks like it shares a common wire with the harness next to it.

With all that said, you would think I must have the wrong switch, but I am pretty sure I pulled it from the same place as your picture indicates.

Old 04-30-19, 10:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

ok, i see the problem. I was looking at the male end of the harness, since the female end is still in my car. That is why the wire colors don't match and there are no numbers.

I can send u the switch, but can I cut off the "Shared" wires and have you splice them to your harness?

Other wise, I think the wire attaches to one of the motors (to make it stop when it reaches limit) and sending a motor is a bigger deal than sending a switch.
Old 04-30-19, 11:12 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that’s what I was thinking I would do. Terminals two and three belong to the limit switch you have removed while the first terminal is from another limit switch so if you cut that one off I can splice it into mine.
Old 04-30-19, 12:51 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Yes, that’s what I was thinking I would do. Terminals two and three belong to the limit switch you have removed while the first terminal is from another limit switch so if you cut that one off I can splice it into mine.
Great, I will cut the switch before the harness and you can splice it into your harness/connector

I am going to send you a private message and you can reply with your address
Old 05-01-19, 11:06 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Since I had the switch out, I did a continuity test. It's natural state is closed. When you push the button, it breaks the circuit.

I thought I would post this in case anyone ever needed to know.
Old 05-25-19, 03:20 PM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

SOLUTION!!

So after all this time, I finally fixed the issue and have a fully operating roof again and figured I'd post here for anyone else that may encounter this issue.

It turns out that the switch I had diagnosed as the issue and replaced was the wrong switch.
'slide roof limit switch no. 2' is not on the hinge itself but is on the right, passenger side of the trunk, all the way in the back, near the back seat headrest.
If you stick your head in the trunk and look directly underneath the roof cable just below the package tray, you will see two limit switches side by side. These are slide roof limit switch no.1 and no.2. I ordered it from the Butler lexus for $108. They come as a pair so whether it is switch no.1 or no.2 you can order part number: 8474224050. The backseat did have to be partially taken apart to get at the switch harness. I believe I used a 4mm socket to remove the switches. Take note of how the switches are positioned before you remove them. Also take note that the two switches are attached to a small metal piece that comes off with the switches.

Overall not a hard job. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me.
JDaveSC430 (05-25-19)
Old 05-26-19, 07:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for the follow up Jksc and I'm glad that you got it working. Any chance that you took some pictures of it?

Last edited by Harold57; 05-26-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 08:56 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

SOLUTION!!

So after all this time, I finally fixed the issue and have a fully operating roof again
WOO WHO! Way to go JKSC. I am glad you got it all fixed and the top is working again!

Quick Reply: SC430 roof hardtop won’t close