SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retain top NAV Screen with iPhone integration

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 05:40 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Retain top NAV Screen with iPhone integration

I want to retain and upgrade Mark Levinson audio system. FM, CDs, and cassettes are fine with me. However:

For safety sake, I would like to:
  • use the existing top NAV screen for displays of Waze etc.
  • use my iPhone to generate these functions
  • be able to switch to the existing NAV system as an option
  • possibly add a back up camera
  • I don't want to take phone calls, texts whilst driving
There is a kit on the market called the "Lexus iPhone Mirror System" that seems to perform many of these functions.

Doe anyone have experience with this kit? Are you happy with the vendor? How was the installation?
Old 05-31-19, 12:55 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Thís is the first tỉme I see this kits. Would not pay the price.
The following 3 users liked this post by GmanSC:
CoffeeGirl (05-31-19), ivanj (06-01-19), Oldsig (06-01-19)
Old 06-01-19, 06:20 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default DIY alternative?

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Thís is the first tỉme I see this kits. Would not pay the price.
I agree that it has many stock bits (RCA cables) and Apple pieces that have OEM counterparts. Many of these you can get locally, from AM*z*n, Monoprice, or Wallyworld.

Can someone identify what the "electronic guts" of the kit are? Maybe these are available elsewhere for the DIYer or one's local installer. How about the high performance backup camera?

I don't recall seeing install instructions. The utoobe is a video commercial.

Just wanted to toss it out there...since I hadn't seen it searching on this Forum.
Old 06-01-19, 07:59 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Next Upgrade Ideas for NAV Screen (space)

1. Permanent Replace with a large "iPad" (Tesla -like) display that would feed its audio output from Waze, high rez music/video files etc. into the existing Mark Levinson unit. This might be through whatever interface the existing Lexus NAV spoken voice uses....It could also have a cellular chip for phone service.

2. Instead of putting the tablet (as in 1) replace NAV with a standard Double Din size or whatever 2019 Pioneer (name your brand) full size receiver unit that does GPS nav, Apple Car whatever, SiriusXM, audio whatever. Feed it into the Levinson unit to supplement its existing capabilities as well as upgrading the NAV.

3. Cheapo: some kind of non-kludge mount that affixes a large 'phone or Garmin/TomTom unit over the NAV screen. Optional tie in to existing Levinson system through RCA, etc. Benefit is this could be easily removed. Also, it could be angled so one is less apt to turn one's head away from driving.

4. Do members know of any solutions or interface cables today that would do any of the above, specifically.

Which ones do folks like and why? What do you think each option would cost?

Last edited by ivanj; 06-01-19 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typing and spelling
Old 06-13-19, 02:30 PM
TheHulk9er
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
1. Permanent Replace with a large "iPad" (Tesla -like) display that would feed its audio output from Waze, high rez music/video files etc. into the existing Mark Levinson unit. This might be through whatever interface the existing Lexus NAV spoken voice uses....It could also have a cellular chip for phone service.

2. Instead of putting the tablet (as in 1) replace NAV with a standard Double Din size or whatever 2019 Pioneer (name your brand) full size receiver unit that does GPS nav, Apple Car whatever, SiriusXM, audio whatever. Feed it into the Levinson unit to supplement its existing capabilities as well as upgrading the NAV.

3. Cheapo: some kind of non-kludge mount that affixes a large 'phone or Garmin/TomTom unit over the NAV screen. Optional tie in to existing Levinson system through RCA, etc. Benefit is this could be easily removed. Also, it could be angled so one is less apt to turn one's head away from driving.

4. Do members know of any solutions or interface cables today that would do any of the above, specifically.

Which ones do folks like and why? What do you think each option would cost?
I just came back from a nice local shop that had a few ideas from past work they had done. I'm going with this kit ($220) plus an apple lightning to HDMI adapter ($20) which looks like the cheapest quality option. You can also add an additional feed to this unit for a backup camera if you like. I'm not adding anything for audio as I hate having my music interrupted by vebal instructions and with my Apple watch apple maps taps me on the wrist with turn by turn guidance.

https://naviks.com/i-22768407-2002-2...interface.html

HDMI to lightning adapter

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-13-19, 02:55 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHulk9er
I just came back from a nice local shop that had a few ideas from past work they had done. I'm going with this kit ($220) plus an apple lightning to HDMI adapter ($20) which looks like the cheapest quality option. You can also add an additional feed to this unit for a backup camera if you like. I'm not adding anything for audio as I hate having my music interrupted by vebal instructions and with my Apple watch apple maps taps me on the wrist with turn by turn guidance.

https://naviks.com/i-22768407-2002-2...interface.html

HDMI to lightning adapter

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's pretty much the same way I did for my car. I wrote about it here as well https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10538273