SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Compressor rpm sensor bad; increase idle to avoid a/c outage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 08:04 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compressor rpm sensor bad; increase idle to avoid a/c outage?

Hello all-

Please refer to separate a/c thread where I diagnosed a bad compressor.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-blinking.html

(Compressor story in short)
Bought a new one, neighbor installed it.
Since the install, it's blowing great cold air, but if the idle drops below ~700 rpm, the a/c light blinks and it cuts off (never happened before).
In that thread above, it was diagnosed by another (Jenpm) as a bad rpm sensor in the compressor they had bought and put in, verified by the dealer after the fact. So that reads exactly like my situation as well...
(If I shift to neutral and rev a bit, or engine brake when slowing down, and the rpm's therefore stay up, the a/c stays cold. Otherwise, it blinks and blows warm, then, once my rpms are high enough (over 7-800) I can manually turn the a/c off and then back on, and it'll work forever if the rpms stay high enough).

So- my options seem to be
1 get another compressor and try again (what Jenpm did, successfully); but this is a big pain in the neck, neighbor doesn't really want to go through the trouble all over
2 perhaps kick my rpms up 1-200 rpm at idle (go from ~6 to ~8 when in drive), so when I slow or stop, the a/c would stay on (like it does if in park, idling at around 8-900).;

Given the situation, are there ways to easily / safely adjust the idle, or is that all through the ECM?
Any other recommendations? Any suggestions as to how viable the rpm up kick option is, how it's doable, if it's doable?

A couple related questions:
-what are spec rpm speeds (warmed up engine, a/c off / on) vs in drive or park mode?
-mine seem to be roughly 600 in drive mode, about 8-900 in park
I saw reference to a couple slightly related threads around cleaning the throttle body and/or 'relearning' the fully closed position, but as far as I can tell, these idle speeds are the same as they've always been...

THANKS!