SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First time at Lexus dealer question - today

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 03:51 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First time at Lexus dealer question - today

TODAY, I'm bringing my car in for the passenger airbag to be replaced. (It arrived several weeks ago but the service/parts department never called me.) They are the nearest dealer 1 1/2 hours away.

They claim they check over the entire car "as a courtesy." Although I know what it says in the manual, what do most dealers normally check? (I've thrown in a few gotchas to see if they really do check things.)

Do they normally check the convertible roof for proper operation?

Last edited by ivanj; 07-22-19 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 05:22 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

They’ll probably do something close to this: https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf. But abbreviated to safety concerns.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-22-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 03:45 PM
ivanj
Driver

Default Friendly Lexus dealer

Dear Bob,

1. They said they would charge $369 for such an inspection. Also charge an extra $129 to check the front brakes because they have to take the wheels off. ( I already know about the front brakes so I don't care.) Oh, an extra $269 to check the roof.

2. After giving me a price of $140 to program two key fobs on the phone they said they would not do it. They will sell me two programmed Lexus keys for $609.51. Oh, and my old number 2 key will no longer work.

3.They will do the recall passenger airbag replacement for free. I told them to set the trigger speed at 50 MPH - they said they had never had such a request.

4. They want to charge me $0.20/mile for a loaner car. I live 100 miles away and it is their recall, not mine.

I'm going back to the friendly Toyota dealer for services if and when I need them. Their donuts are just as fresh.

Anyone want to know the name of the dealer? Is such treatment and pricing common?
Old 07-22-19, 03:56 PM
VVTiBob

I wouldn’t go to that Lexus dealer. The recall on the airbag is completely covered by Lexus Corporate, that includes a loaner.
Old 07-22-19, 05:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, in general a Lexus dealership will charge you twice as much as a Toyota dealer.
Old 07-22-19, 05:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Ivanj,
I would not take my car to that dealer either. At Lexus of Westminster, you will get a free loaner, free car wash, coffee and fresh donuts.
Old 07-23-19, 01:21 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 217 Likes on 105 Posts

With the Air Bag recall, doesn't the dealer fill the gas tank up too? I always bring it in near empty on recalls.

Not sure what's up with that Dealer but I'd stay away from them.
Old 07-24-19, 07:20 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
With the Air Bag recall, doesn't the dealer fill the gas tank up too? I always bring it in near empty on recalls.

Not sure what's up with that Dealer but I'd stay away from them.
Lexus definitely pays for the dealer to provide a loaner car and a full tank of gas for this recall! Run from this questionable dealer!
Old 07-24-19, 08:11 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Unfortunate results signed off by Technician

Monday and Tuesday I had the passenger side airbag recall performed by a Lexus dealer in Central New England. (I did get a loaner car and had to leave the Sc over night even though they told me I could wait for it - the service went from 4 hours to 7 hours when I got there.)

When I returned to pick it up late yesterday afternoon, the "service advisor" did not go over the Dealership Condition Report with me - it was on the passenger seat in the car. Since I had never gone to a Lexus Dealer before I did not know they did such a condition check. Here are the incorrect conditions that I discovered after the Service:

1. The tire depth measurement was incorrectly transposed from the front tires to the rear tires. I have a tire gauge and know how to measure depths.
2. The "brace" that goes over the battery tray and holds the battery in place front and rear on the top and underneath was disconnected.
3. The red cover that goes over the positive terminal was hanging underneath the battery.
4. In addition, the clip on the black strap that holds the parcel shelf cover in place was disconnected.

Note that all of these, except for 4, were signed off on by the Tech as "Passed".

Passenger window:

As I got on the highway I noticed a loud rattle on the passenger side of the car that had not been there before. When I finally got to a safe place, I observed that the passenger window was out of its track and was being supported by the outside door and roof frame. When I lowered the window with the switch, there was a loud "pop" and the window went back into its track.

However, the rattle continues although it is not as bad as before. (If you look at my thread on Sway Bars you'll see how pleased I was at the quietness of the car after I performed the suspension work. Obviously I had no such rattle.) After the service, the "advisor" gave me a raft of crap about the condition of the body. I told her the selling dealer was going to recondition it and to tell me something I did not already know. But she never noticed the window problem!

The service manager is now going to take charge of the situation and they are scheduling their "diagnostic technician" to ride with me on Saturday. He said that he would have a Master Key made.

I want them to fix it and pay for the gas - it is 1 1/2 hours each way plus tolls. What else should I ask for? I have to blow a Saturday for their mistakes. Any idea how they will fix the rattle?

Obviously I'll never go back to this dealer again after they fix their problem; the next closest one is 3 hours but I do have Toyota dealer within 45 minutes who is competent.

Last edited by ivanj; 07-24-19 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-24-19, 10:48 AM
VVTiBob

I understand your frustration. Sounds like once you got past the Service Writer you started getting results. If it were me, I would meet up again with the Service Mgr, who is “taking charge” and ask the General Mgr to join the meeting.
Explain the circumstance and concerns to both. Especially the not initially offering a loaner on a recall. But it sounds like it was taken care of....if I read you correctly.
I wouldn’t bemoan the travel distance/toll as this is your choice and beyond any of their control.

I certainly would point out the screw ups as attention to detail is important. The Lexus Relentless pursuit of Perfection was NOT demonstrated or practiced by this dealership. It can’t just be something they say, it must have meaning. As you’re discussing it, hopefully you’ll get a feeling by their words, but their actions too.

Regarding squeaks and rattles....hmmmmm Lexus generally IS very talented at finding and canceling them, but who knows when it comes to this one dealer. I remember years ago they was a TSB on a rattle issue related to the wood paneling. I believe it was passenger door, but I’m not sure, might have been the dash/passenger side.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed they get it right this time.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-24-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 11:36 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

This is counter intuitive, The rattle most likely is because they had to take out part of the dash to change the airbag and forgot to tighten something up when they finished. So it is most likely their fault.

However, you seem pretty mechanically inclined, so It is possible you could fix the problem yourself. You could probably even do it in less than the 3 hours it will take to get to the dealer and back.

Maybe it is better for you to see if you can diagnose the problem and then estimate if it is easier for you to fix the problem, or go through the hassle of going back to the dealer.

Though they should fix it, is it really worth wasting a Saturday?
Old 07-24-19, 12:03 PM
ivanj
Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
This is counter intuitive, The rattle most likely is because they had to take out part of the dash to change the airbag and forgot to tighten something up when they finished. So it is most likely their fault.

However, you seem pretty mechanically inclined, so It is possible you could fix the problem yourself. You could probably even do it in less than the 3 hours it will take to get to the dealer and back.

Maybe it is better for you to see if you can diagnose the problem and then estimate if it is easier for you to fix the problem, or go through the hassle of going back to the dealer.

Though they should fix it, is it really worth wasting a Saturday?
I think I did hear a loose screw or nut sliding at a stop....have to check it out. I'll get out the magnetic wand. But the window thing is unacceptable.

If I go there I can do some shopping since we are in a rural area and have no stores near us.

Right now I'm relentlessly afflicted by rattling and tintinnabulation.
Old 07-24-19, 06:09 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
I think I did hear a loose screw or nut sliding at a stop....have to check it out. I'll get out the magnetic wand. But the window thing is unacceptable.

Ah... I thought the window fixed itself and the rattle might be separate and in the dash.

I have no idea how the window could have popped out of it's track, unless it was during the inspection. It should not have been part of the airbag replacement procedure.
Old 07-28-19, 08:06 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Making lemonade

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I understand your frustration. Sounds like once you got past the Service Writer you started getting results. If it were me, I would meet up again with the Service Mgr, who is “taking charge” and ask the General Mgr to join the meeting.
Explain the circumstance and concerns to both. Especially the not initially offering a loaner on a recall. But it sounds like it was taken care of....if I read you correctly.
I wouldn’t bemoan the travel distance/toll as this is your choice and beyond any of their control.

I certainly would point out the screw ups as attention to detail is important. The Lexus Relentless pursuit of Perfection was NOT demonstrated or practiced by this dealership. It can’t just be something they say, it must have meaning. As you’re discussing it, hopefully you’ll get a feeling by their words, but their actions too.

Regarding squeaks and rattles....hmmmmm Lexus generally IS very talented at finding and canceling them, but who knows when it comes to this one dealer. I remember years ago they was a TSB on a rattle issue related to the wood paneling. I believe it was passenger door, but I’m not sure, might have been the dash/passenger side.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed they get it right this time.
Returning to the dealership yesterday, I had a nice chat with the Service Director who told me he "chewed out" the Shop Foreman who is supposed to check these things. I got a discount on the key(s) and a free oil change using 0-30 Mobil 1.They found my valve covers leaking which I suspected. So I'm getting a discount on that service and they are going to replace the spark plugs at the same time with a discount.

They found that the p/s system work I had done at a Toyota dealership was entered under the incorrect VIN. Do I have to go to the Toyota dealer to have that corrected?
Old 07-28-19, 10:42 AM
VVTiBob

I suppose there are two ways to correct this:
  1. yes go back to Toyota, ask for the service mgr and get them to fix their error. Who knows, for the inconvenience, maybe they’ll offer you some sort of discount too.
  2. Enter the work done yourself into drivers.lexus.com under your acct & VIN. Ref back to the Toyota dealers service order number if you still have it.

Quick Reply: First time at Lexus dealer question - today