SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What is the fastest you have ever driven in your SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 03:25 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Lots of intentional high speed single car crashes I hear.

after a full suspension mod I want to try the road to Las Vegas again. Big bumps at speed were a Nono with stock setup
Old 01-15-21, 10:01 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I believe it governs out at 143 MPH? Or that is what I read somewhere I thought

Dennis
I had mine at 140 and it felt like it had a lot more to go EASILY, but I backed down because the stock suspension made it too floaty and I was scared for my life.. I had it at 120 not long after - both times the freeway was WIDE OPEN.. I passed a Subaru WRX hatchback (not very aerodynamic) that you can tell had a modified turbo and he was sticking to my *** very close.. if I maxed it out however I likely still would have topped out at a higher speed due to aerodynamics and would have pulled away since they are fast but dont have high top end.. but I didnt push it and I moved over to let him by. I heard the limiter in these cars is at either 147 or 152 depending on the year, but with limiter removed it can do 162 while completely stock which aint bad all actually. My temp gauge did not budge and sat in the middle like always at 140 with it revving at around almost 4500 RPMS and going up a decently steep grade too..

My Lincoln Mark VIII is limited to 147, but capable of doing 182 believe it or not with limiter removed and roll cage built in but stock otherwise and no modified tune or power adders - this model set a land speed record on the salt flats for this class of car, and not even the lighter mustang cobra 320hp but underrated that used the same engine could top out that high which is due to the lincoln air ride lowering the car 2" at freeway speeds, and the car is very aerodynamic.. That model was not the typical "old man" type of lincoln, and even with the air ride, the car is completely stable to top speed - it has an awesome suspension setup ahead of its time. My Thunderbirds in the past were the same and stable all the way to 150 and handling believe it or not it can run circles around the our SC's if suspension is stock. The Lincoln performance numbers are very close to my SC which I clocked a best 0-60 time of 5.6-5.7 seconds, as that car is 6.2 but beyond 60 the Lincoln will dust my SC due to the high revving Cobra Intec engine it has which is an odd motor to use in a Lincoln in my opinion.; I am keeping my Mark VIII on air no matter what, and using the suspension race style upgrades, sway bars, bashings, and extra frame braces in the future, and that will also handle in a way that most people would never realize a Lincoln could handle lol. My old Tbird was decked out with every available suspension mods and was able to hang with expensive sports cars on the twisties despite the size of the car.

My SC430 is stable up to about 110 but after that it gets a little floaty which seems to be the same in my previous 2009 silver SC that got totaled by a dip**** not long after. However, with proper bushing upgrades from Figs, and Daiso with new suspension components front and rear, and an awesome set of coil overs fine tuned for the car the SC's handling will make it a completely different beast and will be more Porsche like in nature and will be completely stable up to top speed no problem! If you go all out with sway bars, strut mounts and other braces on the frame of the car, my guess is the handling would be rather awesome and can easily rival newer more expensive sports cars. The stock bushings on these SC's are prone to early failure, so when working on the suspension , its best to go all out and rebuild everything including end links, bushings that are NOT OEM and you will have a suspension that will last longer than 30k miles before the bushings go out again and you start chewing up your tires. Its one of the known issues with our SC's unfortunately! If you buy control arms for these cars, buy the proper upgraded bushings and take the suspension components to a shop that can pop up the stock ****ty rubber, and press in the good bushings that apparently are good for several years at least from what I heard. It may creak a little with the bushings but I dont mind since it make the car handle so much better. I rode in an SC430 back in 2014 with these mods made with full coilovers and car lowered 1.5", and that **** was absolutely glued to the road with the good rubber they had but on stock rims.. completely different beast!