SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air noise by mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 04:42 PM
Charlierob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air noise by mirrors

I was looking over the archives and could not find anything. My question is ,I used the silicone grease on all my rubber molding. I still hear air noise around the mirrors. Is this normal ,or does anyone have a suggestion. My car is a 2005 with 40,000 miles. My 2015 Ouback with big mirrors is super quiet. I am open to suggestions,or is it normal. Thanks
Old 08-27-19, 05:16 PM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another thread had theory that it is caused by a slight crack in the rubber weatherstripping where the wind meets the corner of the weatherstripping. I believe the poster in that thread cured the wind noise by replacing the weatherstripping triangle at the corner of the window.
I also have some wind noise at the mirror/corner of the window and I placed some black electrical tape to cover the crack in the weatherstripping and it just about eliminated the wind noise. I’ll fix it “for real” when I get the chance.

Last edited by implantgs4; 09-11-19 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 05:18 PM
implantgs4
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ind-noise.html
Old 09-10-19, 07:44 PM
Charlierob
Driver School Candidate

I tried your suggestions on the last problems. What I seem to have is air noise from the mirrors. Is there away to add something to the mirrors to quiet them . Or is it the way it is.
Old 09-11-19, 05:58 AM
implantgs4
Driver

I think I spoke too soon for the "fix" on the passenger side. The electrical tape seemed to work on the drivers side, but not the passenger side. Now that you mention it, it does appear to be coming from the mirror, so maybe a communication between the outside of the mirror and inside the car? Maybe is is just how it is because of the aerodynamics of the car? Maybe it is coming from somewhere else, but just sounds like it is coming from the mirror? I'll investigate further.....

Driver side that just about eliminated the wind noise.

Passenger side that did not seem to eliminate the wind noise?
Old 09-11-19, 07:45 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Both of those weatherstrip #2 look in poor to bad shape to me and need to replaced. (No, I don’t sell parts.) In the thread linked in post #3 above there is an extensive discussion on this issue with part numbers and alternative solutions including black electrical tape. Which some engineer somewhere is rolling his/her eyes over.

To summarize that thread its seems to a a combination of design and implementation. The latter can be adjusted, i.e. window position. Harold57’s comments in that thread are very helpful and thoroughly explained. I also posted two PDFs on the door and weatherstripping in that thread. Others offered additional info and experience comments. And finally Harold added a drawing in post #109, I believe, that helps to visualize the below the window belt significants and the proper seating of the rubber components to prevent window operations interference.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-11-19 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (09-12-19)
Old 09-11-19, 08:38 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Both of those weatherstrip #2 look in poor to bad shape to me and need to replaced. (No, I don’t sell parts.) In the thread linked in post #3 above there is an extensive discussion on this issue with part numbers and alternative solutions including black electrical tape. Which some engineer somewhere is rolling his eyes over.

To summarize that thread its seems to a a combination of design and implementation. The latter can be adjusted, i.e. window position. Harold57’s comments in that thread are very helpful and thoroughly explained. I also posted two PDFs on the door and weatherstripping in that thread. Others offered additional info and experience comments. And finally Harold added a drawing in post #109, I believe, that helps to visualize the below the window belt significants and the proper seating of the rubber components to prevent window operations interference.
I am aware of the threads and have read them extensively as they will be very helpful, so thank you. I have no problem replacing the weatherstripping at the corner of the windows. The weatherstripping is in remarkably good condition, however the photos may make it appear worse than it is as some tape was re positioned and left an adhesive layer, which I didn't have a chance to remove yet as I'm still testing theories.

However, I want to make sure that the replacement will cure the problem. It has been reported that even replacing the weatherstripping at the corner did not cure all the wind noise in some threads? Also, it has been reported that some windows that have the crack where the window meets the weatherstripping does not cause any wind noise, and some that have no crack at the weatherstripping do have wind noise? I'm just trying to make a "temporary fix" that cures the wind noise, so I can be sure that is the problem and not coming from another area. It is entirely possible that the wind noise could be "multi-factorial" and there may be multiple areas that need to be addressed.

Wind noise can travel, much like water. Just because you see a wet spot, doesn't necessarily mean that is where the water is coming from. Water can leak in one area and then "run" and drip somewhere else leading to a false assumption of where the leak actually is. The wind noise could be coming from the gap in the door and front quarter panel and then "channeling" up through another entry point into the cabin, where it is heard. I figure I should be able to eliminate the wind noise with a "temporary" measure, and then use the temporary measure as guide to where the wind noise was coming from to embark on the repair, and maybe find another area that may have been missed by other posters so I can report a "new" finding that may help someone in the future.
Old 09-11-19, 09:07 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

May I suggest the simple ‘piece of paper’ test to check the weather seals. By placing the paper between the seals you can check the friction level. While certainly not scientific it may point out suspect area(s) where air could be intruding into the passenger cabin. Keeping in mind the car flexes while in motion.
Old 09-11-19, 09:26 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
May I suggest the simple ‘piece of paper’ test to check the weather seals. By placing the paper between the seals you can check the friction level. While certainly not scientific it may point out suspect area(s) where air could be intruding into the passenger cabin. Keeping in mind the car flexes while in motion.
Yes, I failed to mention that I performed that test and everything is exceptionally tight, therefore leading me to believe there is another area that is causing the wind noise, or that the weatherstripping is only a part of the problem. I was hoping I would find an area that was "loose".
Old 09-12-19, 05:28 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Ok, new information from further testing. It appears that the wind noise that is heard from the "mirror" is coming from the weatherstripping at the corner of the window, as stated in prior posts. In my situation, I found the following: The wind noise was actually coming from the slight gap in the weatherstripping that was on the "outside" of the window as well as the slight crack in the top of the weatherstripping where it meets the window. It appears the wind noise was coming from the outside of the window and weatherstripping and then "wrapping around the window" to be heard inside the cabin, which sounded like it was coming from the mirror.

With the door open, there is a decent gap between the window and the mirror weatherstripping on the outside

With the door closed, the gap in the window and mirror weatherstripping is almost eliminated.

With the door closed, I can get a piece of paper between the window and the weatherstripping on the passenger side. The driver side is similar, but not as bad.

To test if this was indeed the area that was causing the wind noise, I taped the area with painters tape and went for a ride. The wind noise was gone. I can be pretty sure that this is the source of the wind noise and new weatherstripping should eliminate the issue.
Old 09-12-19, 06:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Well makes sense. Are you replacing the corner strip? You just gave me an idea to put in black tape on the areas you out in tape, see if it improves the air noise. But first I have to see/hear if there is such a noise on mine.
Old 09-12-19, 07:24 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Well makes sense. Are you replacing the corner strip? You just gave me an idea to put in black tape on the areas you out in tape, see if it improves the air noise. But first I have to see/hear if there is such a noise on mine.
I plan on replacing the corner weatherstripping. The purpose of the tape was to find exactly where the wind noise was entering the cabin. I didn't want to perform a repair, just to find out the wind noise was coming from some other location. After this "experiment", I'm pretty certain that replacing the corner weatherstripping by the mirror will greatly reduce/eliminate the wind noise. The passenger side was worse than the driver's side as far as noise. I'll use the valuable information that has been posted on this repair in other threads. Thank you to the others that spent the time to post their repair procedures, I'm sure it will help.
Old 09-12-19, 09:51 AM
KingReyes
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experience, to fully seal the wind noise - in addition to that corner rubber piece - the whole door strip needs to be replaced so its seated flush and aligned and all corners. The car's chassis flex and bend overtime, especially since this is a convertible. You will also have that new car thud when closing the door.

Also, depending on how much that car is under sun - the windshield rubber gasket might be a source of wind noise as well.
Old 09-12-19, 04:14 PM
Charlierob
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all this information! I noticed more of the wind noise when I used the Honda silicone grease,I was expecting the opposite. I am going to try some experiments and let you know what happens.
Old 09-12-19, 06:27 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

I have a quick and easy solution, turn up the music vol.

Quick Reply: Air noise by mirrors