SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help With Slow Moving "Up" Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 01:38 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help With Slow Moving "Up" Window

I've recently noticed that my Driver's side window starts moving "up" (only) somewhat slowly and then I noticed that there is this small rubber piece that appears once the window is about 1/2 way or so up. Window goes down just fine and about 1/2 way down this rubber piece disappears into the door. Again and again, it re-appears and when the window is closed it seems to stick out at the very bottom, front edge along the piece that on the inside holds the small speaker. I've tried to take a picture and if you look closely you can see about 1.5" that is sticking out on the outside of the rolled up window. Picture taken from the inside.

Anyone have an idea what this piece of rubber is? Could it have broken off from someplace else below the top of the door? I recently had my windows tinted and I don't believe that the door panel was removed and maybe the installer caused this. I'm thinking about trying to "pull" it off using a needle nose pliers but before doing so I wanted to hear from some of you who know more about the parts many of us have never seen.

Thanks for your help.

The "piece" i'm talking about is on the very bottom right of the window, outside of the glass.
Old 08-30-19, 02:17 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

If you're referring to the corner of the window closest to the outside mirror, yes, there is a triangular piece with a few attachment points to the frame below the window belt. They may be interfering if they were disconnected during a tint install.
Here’s what the part looks like.
Old 08-30-19, 02:35 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If you're referring to the corner of the window closest to the outside mirror, yes, there is a triangular piece with a few attachment points to the frame below the window belt. They may be interfering if they were disconnected during a tint install.
Here’s what the part looks like.

Thank you for that image. I'm trying to figure out what piece of rubber might be the one that has come disconnected, but at the same time since I waited around while the windows were being tinted and it took only about 45 minutes, I really don't believe that the installer disconnected anything. I was aware of the "problems" some had with having their windows tinted and mentioned this to him but he said that removing the door frame wasn't necessary. I'm wondering now if it might be better if I try to "push" the rubber piece back down rather than trying to "pull" it off, but based on what you have shown me it probably means that I'm gonna need to take the door panel off to put whatever the rubber piece is back where it belongs. Ugh!
Old 08-30-19, 02:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Now that you know what the weather strip #2 piece looks like, a closer inspection of the piece that’s coming up is in order. It may just be a torn piece of the window belt (the belt is the rubber portion that presses up against the glass to reduce water penetration inside the door cavity).

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-30-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 06:10 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

OK, an update. I discovered that there was a somewhat long "U" shaped piece of rubber that had come loose just under the part pictured above by VVTiBob.
After some "testing" things I ended up using a little bit of silicone grease and a long nose pliers and pushed the piece as far down into the front of the door frame as I could. After doing this the window seemed to go up and down about 10 times without any hesitation and thankfully the piece appears to have remained in its place.
Probably will end up being a temporary fix, but for how long nobody knows. Sure beats having to take the door panel off. Thanks again VVTiBob.
Old 08-30-19, 07:58 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

Bob delivers again for the SCORE! And the crowd goes wild!!! LOL. Way to go Bob. Your a constant source of amazement in the amount of information you have at your fingertips.
Paul
The following 4 users liked this post by Raven01750:
JohnnyCake (08-31-19), JTho (08-30-19), okievision (09-01-19), WIL44 (08-31-19)
Old 08-31-19, 01:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Bob, you’ a man. Thanks for your contributions to the forum.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyCake (08-31-19)