SC430 engine temperature

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 09:37 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC430 engine temperature

Good day, fellas!

I am about to purchase used SC430, and i think that i've found the one. However there is something that bugs me - engine temperature reading. It is looks stable, but i just wanted to make sure. Is this reading normal?
I've dealt with overheated engine once - not a pleasant experience, so i'm trying to stay on safe side.

SC430 temp gauge

And my second concern is that - the car is just not as fast, as i would've expected from 4.3 liter engine. 0-30 mph acceleration is basically similar to my IS250, which was a bit surprising. I've had JDM Land-Cruiser 100 with 4.7 2UZ-FE, and it felt faster then this car on the acceleration.

Could you please share your experience on these matters?

Thank you very much.
Old 09-01-19, 02:06 AM
d5626
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought mine a month ago and temp reading was just like you showed/described. I had noticed it took longer to warm up than I was used to with my other cars, and then sure enough last week it threw the code for engine not warming up quick enough (P0128). Thermostat probably stuck in partial open position. I cleared code and it hasn't returned. I ordered new factory thermostat and am switching out probably tomorrow. I'll chime back in after replacing with info on if temp on guage when warmed up has changed.
Old 09-01-19, 04:42 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Had my SC for ten years now, the engine temperature gauge reads at nine o’clock position when she’s warmed up.
Old 09-01-19, 06:40 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexRS
Good day, fellas!
And my second concern is that - the car is just not as fast, as i would've expected from 4.3 liter engine. 0-30 mph acceleration is basically similar to my IS250, which was a bit surprising. I've had JDM Land-Cruiser 100 with 4.7 2UZ-FE, and it felt faster then this car on the acceleration.
Thank you very much.
When you say that it isn't "as fast as" you would have expected, do you mean fast (speed) or quick (acceleration)? I'm guessing that you mean quick since you discuss the acceleration.

More than likely you are dealing with the "learning" "feature" of the tranny and let's just say that it is NOT a fan favorite. There are several threads on this but there are a few ways to overcome this. One is to flip the ECT switch to PWR. Another is to move the gear shift over to the semi manual side and use it that way. (You can also reset the tranny's ECT and it becomes more responsive then, but that is for a later time when you actually own the car.)

However, having said all that, this is really not a sports car, it is a sporty luxury car.
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (09-01-19)
Old 09-01-19, 07:25 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good day, fellas!

I am about to purchase used SC430, and i think that i've found the one. However there is something that bugs me - engine temperature reading. It is looks stable, but i just wanted to make sure. Is this reading normal?
I've dealt with overheated engine once - not a pleasant experience, so i'm trying to stay on safe side.

SC430 temp gauge

Thank you very much.
Consider having the coolant changed at that mileage.
Old 09-01-19, 09:42 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all replies. It actually seems that it's a common thing in these cars - i took another SC430 for a test drive and engine temperature was same - just above third mark on the gauge. Might be thermostat, might be old coolant. Might be just normal operating temp. Not a big deal, as it seems.

As for acceleration - second car was quite faster on the acceleration, i actually felt the power and torque of mighty 3UZ. That raises a question - is it possible that my primary choice car skips 1st gear and starts with 2nd? Shifts are smooth, but it definitely feels underpowered first 0-30 mph. Or as Harold mentioned - it is learning feature of the transmission? That is actually amazing, how much power can steal that feature.
Old 09-01-19, 09:44 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Anyways, I decided to do full mechanical inspection on the car, cause not everything felt right about it. We'll see.
Old 09-02-19, 12:55 AM
d5626
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow-up post. Changed out defective thermostat, upper/lower radiator hose and new coolant. Warms up perfectly now, however temp gauge is in same spot. Not concerning to me now that everything has checked out.
Old 09-02-19, 06:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Try this below. Dirty MAF sensor can also lead to power issues.

Quote -

If you want to reset the ECU without losing your seat and stereo settings, perform the following procedure:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait 2 minutes.
6. Remove key.
7. Done
Old 09-02-19, 04:49 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by d5626

Follow-up post. Changed out defective thermostat, upper/lower radiator hose and new coolant. Warms up perfectly now, however temp gauge is in same spot. Not concerning to me now that everything has checked out.
Thank you for follow up. I did check out another SC430 and engine temp was at the same place as shown above. Must be normal operation temp and normal gauge reading for this particular model. Learning something new every day.
Old 09-02-19, 04:50 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Try this below. Dirty MAF sensor can also lead to power issues.

Quote -

If you want to reset the ECU without losing your seat and stereo settings, perform the following procedure:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait 2 minutes.
6. Remove key.
7. Done
Definitely will try
Old 09-05-19, 05:20 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all, for your input. Now i'm proud SC430 owner.
However, due to age car has some imperfections. One of the most concerning at this time - door crack. Just recently noticed it. I don't want to start new thread - is it a common issue and maybe you have any advice how to deal with it?

Old 09-05-19, 05:23 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

And there is my new car. These curves...

Old 09-05-19, 05:26 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

. I don't want to start new thread - is it a common issue and maybe you have any advice how to deal with it?

I would start a new thread. 1) it is a different prob than the title. 2) more people are likely to read a new thread
Old 09-30-19, 11:11 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

A little follow up for future reference.

This temperature reading is normal. Cooling system was tested by independent mechanic with dealer equipment. Not only that, but I checked a couple other SC430s and the temperature gauge needle was in that same position.

Quick Reply: SC430 engine temperature