SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Quick question about LSD swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 10:06 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Quick question about LSD swap

I've read every LSD thread I can find... Can someone confirm my takeaway is correct:

On a 04+ SC430 you can direct swap a mk4 supra TT auto 3.76 LSD. Here's my question, do you need to swap the whole pumpkin, or could you just get the internals (much easier to have shipped) and swap them?

and apparently there are no aftermarket LSD internals you can purchase to swap into our diff, correct?

I guess, long story short, I want a LSD and finding a jza80 TT auto LSD pumpkin is difficult, so I'm trying to see what all my options are.

Thanks!

Last edited by joemg; 09-03-19 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 08:22 PM
joemg
Instructor

a little more research, and I think you could swap the internals but its a huge time consuming or expensive job, where as the pumpkin is a "30 minute swap" according to one thread.

Is this correct?

Where are the LSD guys? lol

I still can't seem to find any aftermarket LSDs for the 04+ (only up to 03 when the carrier changed). Would love to be wrong about this, lol.
Old 09-11-19, 07:23 PM
joemg
Instructor

If it helps anyone in the future... The (JDM) Aristo TT Auto LSD is the same as the Mk4 Supra TT Auto LSD.

For some reason Toyota coded the aristo "A02B" and the supra "A02D":
https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...l-info.608545/

Strangely enough, they seem easier to find and cheaper than MK4 supra LSDs.

Last edited by joemg; 09-11-19 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 09:57 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Were listening. Your not just speaking to the ether. I'm pretty new here. I just bought my 02 SC back in April. Until you piped up here, it was something I hadn't even thought about.

So, since you are discussing the installation of a different rear end to send power to both wheels, aka the limited slip differential, I have to make another assumption that the one on our car is only driving one of the rear wheels.

Interesting. So what got you interested in this project and what are your ultimate goals? Thanks.
Paul
Old 09-11-19, 10:14 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Were listening. Your not just speaking to the ether. I'm pretty new here. I just bought my 02 SC back in April. Until you piped up here, it was something I hadn't even thought about.

So, since you are discussing the installation of a different rear end to send power to both wheels, aka the limited slip differential, I have to make another assumption that the one on our car is only driving one of the rear wheels.

Interesting. So what got you interested in this project and what are your ultimate goals? Thanks.
Paul
Haha, thanks! The board has been a little quiet lately, I was starting to wonder. I guess a lot of the threads I'm digging up as a new owner are from many years ago.

Yes, there is no OEM LSD for the 430, so it is driven by a single wheel. I believe for the 02-03 you can do this swap as well, but you need a few small pieces from the later SC's. I saw the part numbers documented in one of the threads the other day. However, I THINK the 02-03 SC carrier can fit the Kaaz DAT3020 2-way LSD (aftermarket)... but you would need to drop the pumpkin, disassemble, and put the new gears in. By all accounts, it's a lot more work than just swapping to the supra/aristo pumpkin.

It just didn't sit right with me to have 325ft/lb of torque just going to 1 wheel, lol. After reading all the posts on here, I planned the cost of the LSD into my budget for buying the car because I knew I'd want to do that right away.

As for ultimate goals, I'm thinking just boltons for now. Everything I've read says the vast majority of the power you can add to this car without going crazy is in the exhaust (headers especially). Probably do some audio stuff too, but I haven't figured out what yet exactly.
Old 09-11-19, 10:33 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Nice. It always has amazed me with the number of 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ engines Lexus produced, that there wasn't more aftermarket. A turbo setup would be totally worth the upgrade.

I'm still just trying to put my girl back together first. I call her a Tramp because she has been everywhere from Texas to Washington State and through California a couple of times. And she's been keeping secrets from me. I find out new things about this car pretty regularly.

And with the help of this forum and some of the great people here, I learn something new from her all the time. She has had a hard life but she has someone now who will take good care of her and make her into the car I know she is. Thanks for the update.

Paul
Old 09-12-19, 06:55 AM
Raven01750
Racer

I did think about this a little more last night and was wondering if anyone had reported problems with the VSC Circuit after the swap? Just curious how the computer delt with the situation.
Paul
Old 09-12-19, 08:24 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
I did think about this a little more last night and was wondering if anyone had reported problems with the VSC Circuit after the swap? Just curious how the computer delt with the situation.
Paul
According to all the threads I've read, no one mentioned any issues. Unlike the torque converter upgrades, where it seems like almost all of them throw a code.
Old 09-12-19, 08:29 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by joemg
According to all the threads I've read, no one mentioned any issues. Unlike the torque converter upgrades, where it seems like almost all of them throw a code.
LOL. Boy, you have been digging deep.

Paul
Old 09-12-19, 02:42 PM
Raven01750
Racer

After our chat last night and me continuing my reading of old post (now on like page 55 of 400+) it is amazing some of the mods that were being done when the car was still fairly new. I haven't seen any dyno numbers yet. But the owners claim some seriously real improvements in performance. Heck, if I had an unlimited budget, I could make my girl into a real screamer and maybe even keep it California street legal! LOL. There is some great information on suspension upgrades, Transmission Torque Converters, Differential upgrades, exhaust etc. But, alas. I will probably never have that much extra cash laying around. But thinking of the possibilities is always fun...

paul
Old 09-12-19, 03:10 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Keep reading. I learned a lot from the first 350+ pages. Make note of the pages which are useful for you/your car.

I don't know much about this but from all the reading I've done not sure if LSD swap is worth for the 02-05.
Car will be quicker to accelerate however lots of $$$, RPM will be high, gas mileage will be lower.
Old 09-16-19, 07:50 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello - I haven’t posted in a while but I did this mod a few years ago when I was still tracking my ‘04 SC430. I swapped the entire pumpkin with one from a Supra TT with 3.76 GR. I wanted to upgrade the bushings too and that was some extra work. I removed the exhaust to have access. The only problem I had was the diff came with the wrong flange so I bought a new one. With the other mods and good tires I got the 0-60 down to 5.1 Sec. I drive a different car on the track but but the SC responsiveness is great. My around town gas mileage is 17.4 mpg now vs about 19.2 before the change. Highway mileage is better but I don’t drive it as much now. You can see more details in my old posts and garage.

have fun
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (09-16-19)
Old 09-16-19, 07:56 PM
Raven01750
Racer

And he's still driving her. Im new here but it's nice to see some of the old timers come back now and then to impart their wisdom. Thank You Sir! 😁
Paul
Old 09-16-19, 08:34 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading a bit more ... no codes with the swap nor problems with speedometer. Only issue was the ECU would think that the car was going faster than it really was so I hit the max speed limiter at 118 mph. So I added a unit in the ECU wiring to feed a lower speed than the limit. It work well - I removed it when I stopped tracking her.
Old 09-16-19, 08:50 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Wait. What? We have a limiter? I thought the only limiting factor was the gear ratio itself. WOW. Learn something new about this car every day.
And I thought about it and my thinking was that there was no way our 4.3L could be pushed to redline in 5th gear. My 02-05 brain. LOL. I just figured the gear ratio was the limiting factor on a 2 ton car.

Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 09-16-19 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick question about LSD swap