Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Old 09-18-19, 10:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
I'd love to learn how.
Locate the power or ground wire at the antenna motor.
run one of those two wires through a switch.
when the switch is open or off, the antenna will not move when the radio is turned on.

if the switch is on or closed and the radio is turned on or off, the antenna will move.

my approach is a very simple idea.
does it make sense?
The following users liked this post:
maarp (09-18-19)
Old 09-18-19, 10:46 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Hey Digitact, what is the P Code on your headunit. It's located on the tape deck door. Thanks.

Paul
All the 02-04 use the same head unit P6813. Mine is 02.
Old 09-18-19, 10:57 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks. Mine too. I just realized that the mode switch doesn't toggle to "Tape." But you got your head unit to display "AUX." Interesting. I haven't really dug into this aspect of our audio system yet. I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate Bluetooth and Cell. Then you came up with Google assistant which I thought was actually Bixby but its obviously not after reading your response. I geek out on this stuff. Love thinking outside the box to make things happen.

Paul
Old 09-18-19, 11:01 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

According to the owners manual mode switch should reach TAPE. But you’re correct I could not find it in my electrical schematic.
Old 09-18-19, 11:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Thanks. Mine too. I just realized that the mode switch doesn't toggle to "Tape." But you got your head unit to display "AUX." Interesting. I haven't really dug into this aspect of our audio system yet. I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate Bluetooth and Cell. Then you came up with Google assistant which I thought was actually Bixby but its obviously not after reading your response. I geek out on this stuff. Love thinking outside the box to make things happen.

Paul
Paul, have seen the thread where a guy named Retroplay showed us how to wire an audio input directly onto the radio circuit board? You could then connect your phone or a Bluetooth device directly to the radio.
I can look for it if you like...let me know.
Old 09-18-19, 11:14 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Here’s the manufacturer service manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...eer-Sc430.html
Old 09-18-19, 11:18 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Paul, have seen the thread where a guy named Retroplay showed us how to wire an audio input directly onto the radio circuit board? You could then connect your phone or a Bluetooth device directly to the radio.
I can look for it if you like...let me know.
That's "poor's man aux" thread and it was the first thing I tried. It does work but sound is bad. I also tried the circuit he drawn up and that didn't help. Bought a few other parts try to make it work as well but none help. I gave up and then tried the USA-SPEC device because I see a few members here did use the older (usaspec pa15-toy) unit back in the iPod day so I figured what the heck just try the newest one to get Bluetooth.
Old 09-18-19, 11:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by digitatc
That's "poor's man aux" thread and it was the first thing I tried. It did work but sound is bad. I also tried the circuit he drawn up and that didn't help. Bought a few other parts try to make it work as well but none help. I gave up and then tried the USA-SPEC device because I see a few members here did use the older (usaspec pa15-toy) unit back in the iPod day so I figured what the heck just try the newest one to get Bluetooth.
Thanks for the update and glad you were here to keep us from running down that rabbit hole!

so how did the pa15-toy workout?

i used Beatsonic in my 2002 and 2007.
its expensive but worth it!

i was also happy with their support!
Old 09-18-19, 11:28 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Thanks for the update and glad you were here to keep us from running down that rabbit hole!

so how did the pa15-toy workout?

i used Beatsonic in my 2002 and 2007.
its expensive but worth it!

i was also happy with their support!
It works great for me. The new one is BT45-Toy and I wrote a thread about it as well to help out just in case anyone wants to know.
I was on the verge of doing the BeatSonic & Android AutoPlay/AppleCarPlay headunit if the BT45-Toy didn't work out.
Old 09-18-19, 11:51 AM
Raven01750
Racer

So, we have either the FM Bluetooth option which is very cheap and super easy to setup for less than $20.00 or we have the labor intensive, tear your whole center console, expensive scary way that gives us some voice additional (?) control which is desirable. LOL. Guys, I still think most people will go the cheap, super easy way. With the new 5.0 Bluetooth standard being four times faster at data transfer than the 4.0 standard, some of the old problems may no longer be problems.

Paul
Old 09-18-19, 12:06 PM
digitatc
Instructor

These are options, just go with the one that works for you.

BTW, BT5.0 has nothing to do with FM modulation and it won't help the sound between your BT5.0 receiver/FM Transmitter to the car audio system. It sure help between your phone & Bluetooth receiver.
Old 09-18-19, 12:57 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Locate the power or ground wire at the antenna motor.
run one of those two wires through a switch.
when the switch is open or off, the antenna will not move when the radio is turned on.

if the switch is on or closed and the radio is turned on or off, the antenna will move.

my approach is a very simple idea.
does it make sense?
It certainly does. I'm going to bookmark this. I'm not at all familiar with modern car electronics (or even old stuff like what we have ). Last time I did anything with car stereos was in the late '70's, where if you screwed up, all you damaged was a $0.25 fuse. These days, you mess up with the electronics, it could cost you thousands to fix.
Old 09-18-19, 02:13 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm no where near as educated in electronics as most of you so forgive me if i misspeak but isn't going through the FM way less desirable as the FM doesn't have the headroom that you would get from CD, Sat or BT?.To me , if you cared about sound quality, wouldn't it be advisable to avoid going through the FM transmitter. I think if phone is your main concern then FM is the easiest route. I have an '02 and would love to play waze and music from my phone and because of my ignorance I will sit by the sidelines and observe but please don't give up on this topic and I hope you guys find a solution. Great topic. Thank you.
Old 09-18-19, 04:28 PM
Raven01750
Racer

FM is not the most desirable by far. Its just a cheap and yes effective means to an end that virtually anyone can do.

I have yet to see a real, effective method to hard wire a bluetooth transceiver to the ML head unit so you have direct bluetooth capability while keeping all of our original functionality. Simple as that. $20.00 versus $200.00. Plug and play versus having to have fairly extensive electronic capability.

The original post started with "lets talk about the FM Bluetooth." We have and I know the pro's and cons. To me, the restrictions of FM are not a killer. Find a clean unused station and forget about it. Would I like CD quality of bluetooth? Sure I would. But I have torn into my ML head unit. And destroyed it because the previous owner used aftermarket cheap CD's which got stuck and there was no place to get it fixed. So I gave it a shot. I got a great deal and replaced it for $150.00.

With that said, and what I know about the head unit, I for one have no desire to go back in that thing again. Even with 40 years experience in electronics.

Paul

Quick Reply: Upgrading our old tech