SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Planning my custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 05:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

ProXS I believe is what I used on a former Mustang GT. I had Kooks long tube headers and full cat-back. Boy did that car sound good. Used to receive many compliments, from men only of course... Lol

https://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/proxs.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-28-19 at 05:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gefax (11-21-19)
Old 09-28-19, 10:23 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
ProXS I believe is what I used on a former Mustang GT. I had Kooks long tube headers and full cat-back. Boy did that car sound good. Used to receive many compliments, from men only of course... Lol

https://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/proxs.html

Youtube
wow, that has a deep sound! Nice!
Old 11-06-19, 11:40 PM
joemg
Instructor

In the end I went with this:

PPE Headers > OEM cats > Summit racing X-pipe kit > Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonators > Tanabe Medalion Touring mufflers (all 2.25" 409 stainless pipe, I bought a few mandrel bends since there aren't a lot of shops that can do it and the ones that can are very expensive)

It's going to be a while before the headers and the mufflers arrive as they are made to order by the manufacturer.

This is the X-pipe kit, which took summit 3 tries to send me one with matching piping inside... I kept getting a 2.5" X-pipe with 2.25" pipe in error. Their ebay store is useless, only deal with their website if you can help it.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-642122-ss

It's a pretty close design to the "dr gas" x-pipe everyone loves so much, which isn't made anymore.

I probably would have replaced the cats with some magnaflows but it's really difficult to get reasonably priced cats in California. No one will ship any here that aren't carb certified, and all the carb certified ones are like 3x the price of the regular ones. I honestly don't think it will make any difference, our cats are supposed to be pretty high flowing for oem cats and it's not like this is a dodge hellcat. At least I can pass smog if someone looks the other way on visual inspection, lol.

I'll update the thread in a month or 2 when it all arrives and I find a shop to work their magic.

EDIT: The final exhaust ended up being:
PPE Headers > OEM cats > Summit racing X-pipe kit (642122-SS) > Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonators (1140) > Vibrant Streetpower mufflers (1105) > Vibrant Exhaust Tips (1207)

Last edited by joemg; 04-15-20 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
okievision (11-07-19)
Old 11-09-19, 04:25 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

How many more projects you got for your SC Joe? You did the LSD, Stereo, Doors, Suspension too I think. Big brakes maybe? Or do you just about have the perfect SC now?

Paul
Old 11-09-19, 08:19 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
How many more projects you got for your SC Joe? You did the LSD, Stereo, Doors, Suspension too I think. Big brakes maybe? Or do you just about have the perfect SC now?

Paul

LOL, I had big plans for this car. I spent the better part of a year waiting for just the right one and planning it all out. I flew to NorCal to buy it and drove it home down the PCH.

So far:
LSD
Strut brace/Sway bars/30mm RCA blocks
Stereo/front & rear cameras (still working on this, but almost done)

I have LS400 brakes but they're not installed yet. I still have to strip the ****ty paint the previous owner did and repaint them.

Tundra intake manifold, but I haven't even begun wrapping my brain around that one yet.

And in a month or so when the parts arrive, exhaust.

After that it should pretty much be the way I want it. lol

It had brand new tires when I got it, so when those wear out I will likely consider 19" wheels with summer tires, but I probably have at least a year on that.
Old 11-10-19, 07:57 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Of all the upgrade/mods, I'm just wondering why did you decide to go with the LS400 calipers? Lighter weight?
I bought the Supra TT kits but I should've gone with the LS460 calipers & ISF rotors. This set is massive compare to the rest and the calipers are dirt cheap too.

Another question regarding your RCA installation. Did you have to buy additional hardware to correct your front camber?
I understand the Sage RCA for the rear have 1-3degree to help correct the negative camber.

Last edited by digitatc; 11-10-19 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 09:57 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
Of all the upgrade/mods, I'm just wondering why did you decide to go with the LS400 calipers? Lighter weight?
I bought the Supra TT kits but I should've gone with the LS460 calipers & ISF rotors. This set is massive compare to the rest and the calipers are dirt cheap too.

Another question regarding your RCA installation. Did you have to buy additional hardware to correct your front camber?
I understand the Sage RCA for the rear have 1-3degree to help correct the negative camber.
4pot, monoblock aluminum, rotors are just a pinch smaller than the supra's.

Tell me more about the LS460 calipers & ISF rotors? I didn't know this was even an option, have you seen it done before? It just bolts up? What years LS460s & ISFs?

Nope, I just did the megan racing front RCAs and the Sage rears set to the lowest camber change.
Old 11-10-19, 10:12 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
4pot, monoblock aluminum, rotors are just a pinch smaller than the supra's.

Tell me more about the LS460 calipers & ISF rotors? I didn't know this was even an option, have you seen it done before? It just bolts up? What years LS460s & ISFs?

Nope, I just did the megan racing front RCAs and the Sage rears set to the lowest camber change.
The Supra TT has a lot more pad selection though.
Here is the info for the LS460 calipers & ISF rotor (14in)
Since you already have RCA, you only need the bracket adapter.
The LS460 calipers are about 100bucks per set on ebay.
https://www.suprastore.com/xatsulsbrcau.html
You will definitely need the bigger wheels and offset to fit that 14in rotors
I came across this info after I bought the Supra TT calipers.
Old 11-11-19, 12:17 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
The Supra TT has a lot more pad selection though.
Here is the info for the LS460 calipers & ISF rotor (14in)
Since you already have RCA, you only need the bracket adapter.
The LS460 calipers are about 100bucks per set on ebay.
https://www.suprastore.com/xatsulsbrcau.html
You will definitely need the bigger wheels and offset to fit that 14in rotors
I came across this info after I bought the Supra TT calipers.

True, though I really like porterfield R4-S pads which were available for the ls400.

WOW! How the heck did I not find this info before bought LS400 calipers. Now I have to consider selling the LS400 calipers and going the 460 route, 14" are some big brakes.

What size wheels do you need? I would think the stock 18's would be fine? I have 20mm spacers on the front.
EDIT: The LS460 had an a 18x7.5, ET32 wheel (amongst others), ours were 18x8, ET45. I should be fine with my spacers, might be tight without them, hard to tell.

It looks like the calipers are pretty much the same, LS400 has 1.7" pistons, LS460 has 1.69" pistons, but with the LS460 you get a 14" rotor instead of a 12.4" rotor. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I would have been so sad if I came across this after I already installed the LS400's.

Last edited by joemg; 11-11-19 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 12:17 PM
joemg
Instructor

I'll start a new thread for this at some point, since I'd like to keep this exhaust-related.

But just an FYI to anyone looking to use the LS460 calipers... I contacted suprastore and did as much research as I could and it looks like the K17 & N18 LS460 calipers are more/less the same and both have been used successfully. Suprastore says the only difference between them is the shape of the casting which may or may not allow a little extra clearance, but they haven't had both in hand at the same time, so they're not sure which.

I found a set of AWD (N18) calipers with 49k on them for $150 shipped.

I'm going to finish cleaning up the LS400 calipers and sell them as a BBK set with the pads/rotors I bought. Still a very nice upgrade to the stock 2pot brakes and a little more economical.
Old 11-15-19, 03:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
I'll start a new thread for this at some point, since I'd like to keep this exhaust-related.

But just an FYI to anyone looking to use the LS460 calipers... I contacted suprastore and did as much research as I could and it looks like the K17 & N18 LS460 calipers are more/less the same and both have been used successfully. Suprastore says the only difference between them is the shape of the casting which may or may not allow a little extra clearance, but they haven't had both in hand at the same time, so they're not sure which.

I found a set of AWD (N18) calipers with 49k on them for $150 shipped.

I'm going to finish cleaning up the LS400 calipers and sell them as a BBK set with the pads/rotors I bought. Still a very nice upgrade to the stock 2pot brakes and a little more economical.
I am sure you did but have you looked at Rockauto.com for Supra and LS460 brake calipers.
Old 11-15-19, 09:24 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I am sure you did but have you looked at Rockauto.com for Supra and LS460 brake calipers.

They actually have 1 side of the front supra calipers really cheap, but the other is pricey (weird). I found some OEM ones with 50k miles on them on ebay. I wanted to stick with the OEM ones and not the remanufactured ones since the miles were low. I bought the rotors on rockauto though, they showed up the next day.

Also, if you look around, there's almost always a 5% off coupon for rock auto.

I started this thread for all the brake-related information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ig-brakes.html

Unfortunately my exhaust is being delayed. LegitJapan & PPE confirmed the headers will ship today or Monday, but the tanabe mufflers got delayed again to Jan 12.

I sent an email to Tanabe directly to see if there's anything they can do since I placed the order originally on Oct 14th and was quoted 6-8 weeks (which was confirmed by Tanabe). I really have my heart set on the Tanabe Medalion Touring mufflers, some of my favorite older SC/GS exhausts use them.

Last edited by joemg; 11-15-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 02:11 PM
joemg
Instructor

Well, the headers arrived, but they're not black ceramic coated as I had ordered and the insides are all jacked up. Incredibly disappointing for $1200 headers with a month of lead time.

I've reached out to the vendor and PPE to correct this.

Does anyone have pics of the inside of their headers? I'd like to know what I should expect them to look like.
Attached Thumbnails Planning my custom exhaust-img_7504.jpeg   Planning my custom exhaust-img_7507.jpeg   Planning my custom exhaust-img_7505.jpeg   Planning my custom exhaust-img_7506.jpeg  
Old 11-20-19, 02:27 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

Whoah. Yea. I'm sure that was a heart breaker. I don't know how that could even leave the factory. Let us know how it works out. Your still taking a chance living in CA whether or not you can even keep them legally. And I doubt that the new exhaust system is going to bolt up to the old manifold if you have to switch back for inspection. You might want to get rid of that PPE badge too just so you aren't drawing attention to the fact that you have non CARB headers. Just a thought.

Paul
Old 11-20-19, 02:32 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Whoah. Yea. I'm sure that was a heart breaker. I don't know how that could even leave the factory. Let us know how it works out. Your still taking a chance living in CA whether or not you can even keep them legally. And I doubt that the new exhaust system is going to bolt up to the old manifold if you have to switch back for inspection. You might want to get rid of that PPE badge too just so you aren't drawing attention to the fact that you have non CARB headers. Just a thought.

Paul

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I wanted the black coating, much less noticeable for a visual inspection.

I can't believe they passed any kind of quality control, the interior of the other one isn't smooth and doesn't look good either.

PPE has been very helpful thus far, I'm confident they will make it right.

Quick Reply: Planning my custom exhaust