Planning my custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 10:41 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Planning my custom exhaust

Here's what I've got so far, curious to get some opinions/experiences:

PPE Headers > 2x Magnaflow Highflow Cats > Magnaflow X-Pipe > 2x Tanabe Medallion Touring Mufflers (all dual 2.25" pipe)

OR

PPE Headers > 2x Magnaflow Highflow Cats > Magnaflow X-Pipe > 2x Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators > 2x Tanabe Medalion Touring Mufflers (all dual 2.25" pipe)

For the tanabe mufflers, I was thinking of just getting the axle-back part of the SC300/400 exhaust since the tanabe medalion touring mufflers aren't sold separately:
Amazon Amazon

Info:
Headers - https://www.ppeengineering-onlinesto...1143003-SS.htm

Cats -
Amazon Amazon

X-pipe -
Amazon Amazon

Resonators - https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...95f23087d742c3

Mufflers - http://www.tanabe-usa.com/touringmedalion.asp?id=7

I'm unsure if having the resonators will make it too quiet, but I want a really nice tone without rasp or popping, and I think the resonators will achieve that.

Basically I want to know I'm driving a v8, especially when I open it up, i don't need the whole neighborhood to know. The stock exhaust is SO quiet, it drives me nuts.

EDIT: The final exhaust ended up being:
PPE Headers > OEM cats > Summit racing X-pipe kit (642122-SS) > Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonators (1140) > Vibrant Streetpower mufflers (1105) > Vibrant Exhaust Tips (1207)

Last edited by joemg; 04-15-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-21-19, 05:53 AM
VVTiBob

Received 272 Likes on 204 Posts

You really should use the search tools in our SC430 forum. Searching “exhaust sound” comes back with 327 hits. While some hits don’t apply, most do, and some threads include audio clips results of member’s modifications. Those clips alone will give ideas on how the mods worked out, maybe exactly what you’re looking for.

Another idea is to jump over to the LC500 forum where some of those guys have made modifications to their exhaust systems too. I realize we’d be talking apples and oranges but there are sound clips there too, with component lists that may also help before you go off and spend your hard earned dollars.

There is a lot of prior experience in the threads on exhaust modifications if you care to look and read.

If you’re not familiar with the search tool, there is a sticky thread that explains how to use it.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-21-19 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-21-19, 08:40 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
You really should use the search tools in our SC430 forum. Searching “exhaust sound” comes back with 327 hits. While some hits don’t apply, most do, and some threads include audio clips results of member’s modifications. Those clips alone will give ideas on how the mods worked out, maybe exactly what you’re looking for.

Another idea is to jump over to the LC500 forum where some of those guys have made modifications to their exhaust systems too. I realize we’d be talking apples and oranges but there are sound clips there too, with component lists that may also help before you go off and spend your hard earned dollars.

There is a lot of prior experience in the threads on exhaust modifications if you care to look and read.

If you’re not familiar with the search tool, there is a sticky thread that explains how to use it.

I did not come across any other sc430s with this specific combination of parts. Most exhaust threads are not true dual (no Y pipe). In fact, the closest ones I could find on this site were of SC400s or 2GS with similar parts.

The fact that tanabe doesn't actually make those mufflers for our car makes it pretty unique.

I'm looking for specific feedback on the parts listed above, specifically if the resonators will be overkill with those mufflers or not.

I've listened to a lot of clips, but clips on a computer are useless for determining volume. I'm curious to see if anyone has experience with a setup like this and what their perception of how loud it was.

Thanks.

Last edited by joemg; 09-21-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-21-19, 08:52 AM
joemg
Instructor

This is the closest one i've found:

It's not a true dual setup... Y pipe but same resonators/muffler on a SC400. I like the tone, but again, It's impossible to gauge volume from a clip.
Old 09-23-19, 06:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Here is the route I took on my 2002.
start at post 21.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...magnaflow.html

On my 2007, I went with Magnaflow 16917 cat back.
picked up the Magnaflow for $597 shipped, about a year ago...
https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflo...7#review-title

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-16-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 08:11 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Here is the route I took on my 2002.
start at post 21.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...magnaflow.html

On my 2007, I went with Magnaflow 16917 cat back.
picked up the Magnaflow for $597 shipped, about a year ago...
https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflo...7#review-title
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZyil6VzcdE

Awesome pics!

That sounds pretty mean!
Old 09-24-19, 01:43 AM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Call me a Lexus SC430 disciple here......
I am attracted to the car because it is powerful, sure-footed and QUIET so that the Levinson sound system is the hero of the day, not the exhaust. The loud part of the car is Bruno Mars or Frank Sinatra depending on the company )) I am over the "loud exhaust to cover poor performance" days. Buy a Toyota 86 if your mid-life crisis requires an injection of faux youth. When you have the wisdom to own an SC430 you have sufficient self-esteem to not be drawn into a loud red light drag off with lesser vehicles. I KNOW I am driving one of the best cars built and don't need to prove it beyond turning heads everywhere I go. Not bad for a 15-year-old clunker (the car not me).......... just sayin'
Old 09-24-19, 03:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Natroth
I am over the "loud exhaust to cover poor performance" days. Buy a Toyota 86 if your mid-life crisis requires an injection of faux youth.
LoL, do you only like to hear Bruno and Frank when you are receiving an “injection of faux youth” while your modified SC430 is “floating” at over “170kph (105mph).
Just Sayin!!!
Old 09-24-19, 03:52 AM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

So, a darker side of your persona appears!! aside from your voluminous knowledge of the intricate workings of the SC430, you also have a sense of humour. I applaud you, sir!

More Bruno than Frank does raise the heart rate amid the cossetted rumblings of the 430, after recent renovations to the multitudinous Levinson speakers.

Old 09-24-19, 09:50 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Natroth
So, a darker side of your persona appears!! aside from your voluminous knowledge of the intricate workings of the SC430, you also have a sense of humour. I applaud you, sir!

More Bruno than Frank does raise the heart rate amid the cossetted rumblings of the 430, after recent renovations to the multitudinous Levinson speakers.
Its all good Natroth! A little jib and jab to lighten the mood!
I do like the Bruno Happy song and some of Frank’s tunes too, but I am mostly an 80s Hair Band music lover!
so, it comes down to what sounds, feels and tastes good!

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-24-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 02:06 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

I removed my resonator as well and sound pretty good when you step on the gas (1000-2000rpm). I have a KN filter as well to help air flow. I think it's still producing the same sound out side of that range.
To do PPE header + custom exhaust that you listed above will cost $2k-3$k easily but if you get the fund then go for it. I'm rooting for you to do it.
Old 09-24-19, 04:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Borla makes great mufflers as well. I personally would delete the cats totally. 😬

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-24-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 09:40 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Borla makes great mufflers as well. I personally would delete the cats totally. 😬
What Borla mufflers do you recommend? I saw a customer Borla exhaust on an SC430 on YouTube but the owner never responded when I asked what model they were. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-19, 10:46 PM
joemg
Instructor

I have used magnaflow mufflers on other cars, they're an excellent value, quality sound, free flowing.

I would have probably just used them on this car, but I got a little hooked on how refined the Tanabe's are supposed to be. But at 2.5x the cost, it's hard to justify.
Old 09-27-19, 10:04 PM
joemg
Instructor

I wish there was more data on the OBX headers. Less than half the cost of PPE. But PPE has dyno sheets on this forum that show about a 20hp gain. I can't find a dyno sheet for the OBX.

Also, the general consensus is replacing headers is so labor intensive, if there's a defect (which is more likely in the case of OBX) you would lose a ton of money replacing them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-...-/173105515879

I'm also considering keeping the OEM cats... Really hard to find good info on them, but the GS guys (same cat) seem to say the stock cat "flows well," whatever that means. The magnaflow cats are 400 cell, but I'm not sure about the OEM cat.

Last edited by joemg; 09-27-19 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Planning my custom exhaust