SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another Nav Screen thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 01:18 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Another Nav Screen thread...

It seems like my nav screen has part of the anti-glare coating worn off in the common button press areas. There's a thousand threads on this and I've read them all, however, I can't get the rest of the coating off.

I've tried windex, ammonia wipes, plastix, 91% rubbing alcohol, rubbing very hard, etc... It hasn't changed one bit.

Debating about taking a polishing wheel to it, but a little nervous to go so extreme. What am I doing wrong?

Pics aren't great, but it's hard to get a shot of it. It's pretty consistent with all the other threads about fingermarks in the anti-glare coating.
Attached Thumbnails Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7348.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7349.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7350.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7351.jpg  
Old 09-21-19, 01:30 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't know how to remove the covering.

However, you could just get a protective cover for it. That's what I did to prevent it from getting worse. Kind of covers up the old problems too.
Old 09-21-19, 01:38 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
I don't know how to remove the covering.

However, you could just get a protective cover for it. That's what I did to prevent it from getting worse. Kind of covers up the old problems too.
I was thinking of getting something like that after I get the screen to look even again. Which cover did you use? Is it just a protector or an anti-glare screen?
Old 09-21-19, 02:13 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Nothing can remove the finger prints “burned” on the screen. Believe me, I have tried many thing, none worked. I wish the previous owner installed a screen protector when he first purchased the car.
Old 09-21-19, 02:54 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Nothing can remove the finger prints “burned” on the screen. Believe me, I have tried many thing, none worked. I wish the previous owner installed a screen protector when he first purchased the car.
My understanding is that the printers are actually the anti-glare coating worn down over time in those spots. I've seen people say in other threads, if you just remove the rest of that coating, then it's just a clear screen again. Then you can apply a new protector/antiglare screen.

Though, after everything I've tried, I'm kind of starting to think you might be right. The last thing I'm going to try is some sort of polishing wheel or something very gently just to see if that theory is true.

Here's one of those threads: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...av-screen.html

another: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...on-screen.html

Last edited by joemg; 09-21-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 05:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Joemg, I don't remember which protector I got since that was well over 10 years ago. FWIW,I believe that I mentioned it in a thread at the time though. I think that it was specifically made for our screen or maybe it was just something close. I'll see if I saved any information on it but don't hold your breath.
Old 09-21-19, 05:23 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
Joemg, I don't remember which protector I got since that was well over 10 years ago. FWIW,I believe that I mentioned it in a thread at the time though. I think that it was specifically made for our screen or maybe it was just something close. I'll see if I saved any information on it but don't hold your breath.

LOL, no worries... I'll dig back through the threads, i do remember seeing some part numbers but my brain shut that out because I was focused on getting it clean first.

OK! I come bearing information.

I just used Plastix + https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...uff-65000.html in my drill on high. It was a slow, tedious process and a little nerve racking, BUT IT WORKS! I was able to get about 95% of the coating off making the screen look like a normal glossy screen. I'm going to take a dremel with a small polishing wheel to try and get in the corners and the edges, they refuse to come off by hand and the big buffer will buff the black off your plastic bezel if you're not careful.

Ideally, if you took the screen out to buff it, that would be the best way to do this. But if you're lazy like me, you should be able to go very slowly and be very conscious of the surrounding plastics/leather and buff all of it off. Just be very careful so you don't trade 1 problem for another. (I wish I had been conscious of this from the first minute, luckily I realized fairly quickly, I don't think anyone but me will notice the tiny imperfection)

I forgot my phone inside when I went to do this, so I'll take a pic when I go back out with the dremel to finish it up. I'm going to mask the plastic around the edge so when i dig into the corners/edges I don't polish the bezel.

The technique i used was holding it face-first (not the sides) to the screen with low to moderate pressure, just going left to right, down, right to left, ect... just zip-zagging the screen slowly, adding plastix to the buffer as needed (just enough to keep it wet). At first you're going to think it isn't doing anything, but then you're going to start to notice it evening out to a shine.

GmanSC, I hope this solves your problem too! If it bothers you anywhere near as much as it was bothering me, lol.
Old 09-21-19, 05:36 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Gotta love the Club Lexus Search tool....the thread that Harold referred to: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post4708619 post #14 has the link to the screen protector he bought. Way back in 2009.

There is another screen protector listed in post #18 on that same thread. But the Lexus SC430 is no longer listed, so you can order by their part number NU326A. It’s for a seven inch screen with rounded corners.
https://www.nushield.com/order-by-part-number

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-21-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 06:36 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You never cease to amaze me Bob! Excellent work! Man, it really was 10 years ago.

I just finished working outside and supper and was going to try to find it. (My website search skills leave a little bit to be desired, but thought that I might could find it in my purchase confirmation emails and if that failed, in my SC430 document storage.)
Old 09-21-19, 06:45 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Gotta love the Club Lexus Search tool....the thread that Harold referred to: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post4708619 post #14 has the link to the screen protector he bought. Way back in 2009.

There is another screen protector listed in post #18 on that same thread. But the Lexus SC430 is no longer listed, so you can order by their part number NU326A. It’s for a seven inch screen with rounded corners.
https://www.nushield.com/order-by-part-number
AWESOME! I will be ordering one asap. Thank you!

Now, some notes on cleaning off the antiglare:

DO mask the plastic off, it takes 30 seconds and keeps everything safe.
DON'T use a dremel. The polishing pads for dremel are held on a metal piece that inevitably, no matter how careful you are, will nick your screen. For the edges/corners find a different type of buffing wheel, preferably for the drill that is small enough to get into the nooks and edges.

Unfortunately, despite all my efforts not to, I nicked the screen slightly. I buffed it out and it's not terribly noticeable, hopefully it will disappear when i put the screen protector on.

the pic where it's masked is after I did the initial work with the drill, before I did the edges and finished it off.
Attached Thumbnails Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7352.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7353.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7354.jpg   Another Nav Screen thread...-img_7355.jpg  
Old 09-21-19, 06:55 PM
joemg
Instructor

If anyone is planning on buying NU326A, I found a 10% off coupon code: NCLP10

Last edited by joemg; 09-21-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 06:59 PM
VVTiBob

Already used it and placed my order. Thanks
Old 09-21-19, 07:03 PM
joemg
Instructor

Already used it and placed my order. Thanks
I'm noticing in the thread, they mention NU326RA not NU326A, where did you find NU326A? Is there a difference?
Old 09-21-19, 07:39 PM
VVTiBob

With a thread that old I’m willing to take the risk on their description. That’s why I mentioned SC430 was no longer listed under the Lexus model search. If you’re concerned I’d email them tomorrow.
Old 09-21-19, 07:49 PM
joemg
Instructor

With a thread that old I’m willing to take the risk on their description. That’s why I mentioned SC430 was no longer listed under the Lexus model search. If you’re concerned I’d email them tomorrow.
I took a chance too... it's a 7" screen, it should work.

I've been fighting with this screen since i got the car, I'll be happy to call it finished when the protector arrives.

Quick Reply: Another Nav Screen thread...