SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lets talk Dash Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 11:59 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Lets talk Dash Cameras

I have one in my LS400. It's presently in my glove box because the rubber suction cup keeps falling off in hot weather. I really like the idea. It records three minutes of video in a continuous loop, has a shock sensor, can record audio, video and still pictures. Here in California, I have always liked it just to have a record in case of an accident. But it does have limitations. One, my camera only records what's in front of it. If someone rear ends me, I have no record. Two, it only records when the car is switched to "ON" and has approximately a three minute battery life after the car is switched "OFF" so continuous video security monitoring is not an option.

I never bothered to hardwire it in to a continuous DC voltage source because of car battery issues etc. even though I could. But I was always just as concerned that someone would break into my car to steal it anyway, so taking it down at night was preferable.

So, with that said, I'm curious if others out here use a dash cam and what they like or don't like about theirs. And what were the reasons that made you get one. Thanks.

Paul
Old 09-23-19, 01:49 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one in each of my vehicles because of the many crazy drivers here in the Bay Area. How the hell did they get their drivers licenses?

A few weeks ago I almost got into accidents 2 days in a row. The first one was when a lady ran a red light after the traffic light in my direction had turned green for at least more than 2 seconds. The other driver in my direction and I completely drove into the intersection and past the crosswalk. I had to brake really hard. The second one a man drove out of a gas station and cut across 3 lanes to get to the left turn lane. My truck's anti-lock brake kicked in. Last year a man ran a stop sign and t-boned my girlfriend's car. Many years ago a man, driving a Geo Metro on the highway, cut across 4 lanes, went out of control, hit the median divider, bounced into my lane. I was about 25 feet from hitting him at 60 mph. I had to brake , move into the lane on my right, and speed up to avoid the other driver hitting me from behind.

All of my dash cams have the rear recording too so that I have evidence when someone (especially a motorcycle rider) claims that I cut him off.

Protect yourself. Dash cams are worth it.

Last edited by MH6878; 09-23-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 07:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

With a high rate of poor drivers in many locations throughout the US they are a good tool to protect yourself from fraud. Cheap investment. I have used my recording on a previous vehicle to show who was at fault. At the accident location to boot. $50 - $100 on Amazon and an SD card. Your done.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-24-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 01:33 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Well, I guess not many of us use a dash cam. I had hoped for a few more inputs on the subject than just three. But, I guess its just not tech that is used much by the members.

I still hope to identify a nice 360 rig that isn't too obtrusive and provides the legal protection we need in the event of an accident. I mean come on. If the police can legally download the data from your cars ECU and use it against you, I would have thought that having a video record to protect yourself from fraud would be a plus.

But then again, I guess there are those drivers out there that wouldn't want anyone to know that it was actually their fault either. From a legal standpoint, it could cut both ways. Thanks all.

Paul
Old 09-24-19, 06:03 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I won't drive a car without one. I like having one that is very noticeable to others. I've had it defuse more than one driver from their crap. Reach up and adjust the camera so they notice it. The 90% of the time they slump to try and hide from it, and slither on their way. The other 10% then start giving it the finger before driving off. Then the obvious like if an accident happens. Then should a cop lie and say you didn't stop or that you didn't maintain lane . You have proof of the police statement being wrong.
Old 09-25-19, 05:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I agree and have been thinking about this for a while. The SC has no back up camera and I have been looking at what's available at Amazon. I looked at a few Costco camera's but did not try anyone of them.

What's the most reasonable-practical dash cam out there? Front and back? Do you have to 2 systems?
Old 09-25-19, 06:46 AM
Raven01750
Racer

I have only seen one system so far that has 360 viewing as a single unit. Most with front and rear capability are two channel systems that have a front and a second rear camera that mounts on the rear glass which for us won't work because of our retractable roof. As soon as I find that one again (360 viewing from a single lens) I will post. I saw it on a YouTube video about Top Five Dash Cameras. There are a ton of different review videos so I lost it and haven't been able to find it again.

Paul
Old 09-25-19, 09:39 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

My only suggestion is not to get one with gps speed on it. The law is clear as to what speeding is. So say you are doing 26 in a 25 school zone and get into an accident. The insurance companies, courts will put part blame on you because you were speeding.

Now just because you don't have gps speed display. Doesn't mean it won't be obvious that you were going ten mph faster than everyone else. I am saying that because of a couple of mph over. Shouldn't make you at fault because someone pulled out in front of you, and no way did a mph or two make any difference in being able to avoid it.
Old 09-25-19, 10:21 AM
Raven01750
Racer

I wouldn't ague that point. And I have always known that dash cams could be a double edge sword legally. If you are doing something wrong and it is recorded, the court could subpoena you memory card. But then, if your memory card is on a continuous loop and you regularly delete old files that are created when an event happens, what could they do? Do we have any attorneys that might be able to chime in?

Paul
Old 09-25-19, 10:45 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

In California the basic speed law §22350CVC states: No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

This means you may not drive faster than what is safe to do under the condition present at the time. Which, of course, is completely up to interpretation and your ability to articulate the facts of the incident. The only correct way to determine if a few “miles per hour” could make a difference is to do a time-distance study converting MPH into feet per second or FPS and calculating the effect.
Old 09-25-19, 10:50 AM
VVTiBob

Once evidence is known to exist, you have a duty to preserve it. Unless, of course, your last name begins with Clinton.
Old 09-25-19, 10:57 AM
Raven01750
Racer

LOL. In other words, don't give up your card if it doesn't help you. NOBODY would go through the time and expense of that for a simple traffic ticket. But if someone stepped out in front of you and you hit them with your vehicle going a couple of miles per hour over the limit, that could be testimony that may or may not be in your defense. Of course they would know how fast you were going when they download your ECU, as well as did you brake, and any other parameters that the ECU is collecting continuously. Regardless, I believe Dash Cams can have both positive and maybe even negative affects for drivers. That has to be acknowledged.

Paul
Old 09-25-19, 10:59 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Once evidence is known to exist, you have a duty to preserve it. Unless, of course, your last name begins with Clinton.
LMAO!!! HEY "MR MODERATOR", I believe the rules states no politics allowed. Go to your corner!

Paul
Old 09-25-19, 11:09 AM
VVTiBob

I was referring to DeWitt Clinton, from New York. Long deceased but not forgotten by me.
Old 09-25-19, 11:19 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I was referring to DeWitt Clinton, from New York. Long deceased but not forgotten by me.
Nice recovery Sir. 😁

Paul

Quick Reply: Lets talk Dash Cameras