SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why don't you drive your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 08:05 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

OMG...just enough to push me over the edge. I was looking at a 2016 RX350 and they are about the same range in SS. But I have always wanted to have an LS.

Where do I begin? Tell me what to look for...

No I do not need another car...lol.

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-22-19 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 09:24 AM
okievision
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Pleasure only during nice weather.
I drive a company owned truck all week. Drive the SC everytime I want to.

Last edited by okievision; 10-22-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 11:40 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Winter in the Northeast USA
The cheap corrosive crap they put on the roads
Black ice
Drivers with no license or insurance
Airbag goes off the car is totalled so there goes your expensive "investment"
People who don't know how to drive in the snow.
Legalized pot smoker-drivers
I have a garage
Go to step one.

Last edited by ivanj; 10-22-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 02:44 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

I guess one of the only thing great about living in SoCal is the weather. Because we have an average temp of around 72 degrees and nice roads because their not all tore up repeatedly by water, snow and ice. So I have none of those issues. Even the Pot Heads just drive slower. The no insurance or minor accident causing airbag deployment? That worries everyone. But should it really? I worry more about rock chips and door dings than all of that other stuff. :-) Life is too short to save it for a special day! Everyday is a special day.

Paul
Old 10-23-19, 05:51 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I drive mine all year round, that's why I sold the Miata and got an SC with a hard top. I put on a set of Blizzaks, and I'm good to go. So far, in 18 months, I've added 16K miles. Cars, while beautiful, are not static pieces of art to be hung on the wall and admired. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed, with all the tactile and sensory input that entails, to get the most satisfaction from them. But that's just me....
Old 10-23-19, 06:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

It is my Friday car at work! Plus errands and parties on weekends. Yes they are meant to be driven and shown around. They scratch their head and wonder what kind of car it is, I get that look all the time. And since I shaved my rear (only "L" remains), they do not know what model it is.
Old 10-23-19, 08:27 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
And since I shaved my rear
TMI!
The following 2 users liked this post by maarp:
DJWLDW (10-23-19), riknchar (10-23-19)
Old 10-23-19, 09:42 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yes I do drive it in the winter

Originally Posted by ivanj
Winter in the Northeast USA
The cheap corrosive crap they put on the roads
Black ice
Drivers with no license or insurance
Airbag goes off the car is totalled so there goes your expensive "investment"
People who don't know how to drive in the snow.
Legalized pot smoker-drivers
I have a garage
Go to step one.
Don't want to appear too negative. So, I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins dedicated for clean winter road days (if I drove it in heavy snow I'd get Blizzaks.) These cars like to be driven and the highways seem to be clean first. The SC 430 configuration/heater/heated seats is very good even with the top down when it is below 45 F. The car are not as good in the snow as my G550 with Goodyear Dura Traks! I'm grateful we have a garage, enjoy!
Old 10-23-19, 10:00 AM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is my Friday car at work! Plus errands and parties on weekends. Yes they are meant to be driven and shown around. They scratch their head and wonder what kind of car it is, I get that look all the time. And since I shaved my rear (only "L" remains), they do not know what model it is.
I proudly let people know that Lexus did make such a car.
Old 10-23-19, 10:13 AM
RJMAZRIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005 sc 430.

Bought a 2005 Lexus sc 430 about a year ago. Had 24.000 miles on it. It looks and smells new. I'm retired and only drive it about 30 miles a week. Just a fun car for me. Bought it on a whim. It was left in an estate where relatives wanted to sell it. I knew owners and it was lucky. Got rid of run-flat tires and put custom wheels on it. I'm in Florida, but most times too hot to drive with top-down. In Florida. Most expensive cars are owned by older drivers.
Old 10-23-19, 10:30 AM
S2kstephen
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Same - I work from a home office but it's my 'daily'. I get all sorts of looks, thumbs up, and get asked what new Lexus is it. I also have no rear emblems..
Old 10-23-19, 10:36 AM
jojogunne
Driver School Candidate

"blessings"
yep
Old 10-23-19, 10:43 AM
aeinberger
Driver School Candidate

I keep my 2002 SC430 in Arizona. Thus it only gets driven in the inter time. The car only has 62k on it, however it had 60k on it when w bought it last year. We do love to drive this car, but it depends on where we go. People in the Phoenix area are a bit rough on cars in the parking lots. Especially when the snowbirds arrive (I happen to be one but I am very careful when opening doors)
Old 10-23-19, 03:49 PM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 2002 white/saddle SC430 new. It has about 65K miles. I drive the SC all the time, year-round, but just a lot of short trips I guess. I drop the top maybe a dozen times a year. I didn't buy it because it was a convertible, but because it was the replacement Lexus had available when I decided to replace my beloved SC400. It has conventional tires and no spare, so I don't take it out of the Dallas area. When not in the SC, I'm usually in a 2010 ES350, which is a boringly practical and reliable car that I got when I needed to occasionally cart kids around. Now that the teens have licenses, it doesn't get used much - 46K miles. I should sell off the ES.

I'm not quite sure why I'm not tired of the SC yet. It's just a great, reliable, car that still looks sweet at a whopping 18 years old. It's the longest I've owned any vehicle, and I don't really have a desire for anything new. Sometimes I think I should pick up an LC, but that might be more flash than I want at my age.

Interestingly, around where I live the SCs are always being driven by women. I can't recall the last time I saw a male driving one. I see that as a bit of a negative.
Other cars around here are a 2011 GX460 gas hog for my wife. My teens are driving two cars I picked up used: a 2006 GS300, and my overall favorite, a 2003 LS430. I occasionally drive the LS when I can pry it away from the teenagers - what a fine machine it is!
Old 10-23-19, 07:23 PM
psolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is funny, my mom bought the SC430 to replace the SC400 as well and still has it. Also replaced with standard tires and she usually drives with my dad in the 2019 GX. The car has 65k miles and I typically do maintenance, only two items had to replace were the radiator and alternator, otherwise a solid car.

Quick Reply: Why don't you drive your SC?