SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why don't you drive your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 11:49 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Why don't you drive your SC?

I find it curious how many people openly admit to owning low mileage 430's that they rarely drive. For the life of me I can't understand that. Now, if you live in the North, you don't drive it with the top down because it's cold. You know the car will drive just fine in the cold, but you drive a different vehicle instead and store your SC's until the spring. This says one of two things to me. The first, you have put this car on a pedestal and won't do anything that will jeopardize it's condition. Two, it just doesn't "really" fit your needs (two seats and all) but you love it so much that you won't let it go no matter how much it ends up actually costing you in depreciation, insurance etc. But the way I see it is in the end, if the car isn't driven, seen or truly appreciated for the work of art that it is, it's a waste of money!

Now I live in a place where the SC is a daily driver (Yes I'm very lucky in that aspect), I am no longer married, kids are grown, no pets, it's very cheap for a car of this caliber and I just really like everything about the car. That's why it works so well for me. so, tell me why you own an SC but don't drive it. I really am curious.

Paul
Old 10-21-19, 12:24 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

I daily drive mine. The only time I don't want to drive is when it's raining. It's not that I don't want it to get wet but I don't want to get hit in a small car by one of those lunatic drivers who doesn't slow down under the rain.
Old 10-21-19, 12:57 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

That's a good question and one I've been asked a few times by family members. While our SC430 has 112k on it (not exactly low miles) we've only driven it about 4,000 miles a year since we purchased it, and it's only been in the rain a few times during that span. So here you go: we both live really close to work and have other vehicles to drive, so I usually drive my GS400. It has more room if I want to take workmates to lunch, etc. So that leaves the weekends, and we usually take Uber out to restaurants / bars on Fri/Sat nights because that saves us from looking for parking spaces, etc - not to mention we don't drink and drive. So that leaves Saturday afternoons and Sundays! This year we've traveled to Vegas and Jamaica so those weeks are out, and if it rains that leaves less time for when we are home. So it truly is "sunny day special occasion" car for us. I did drive it to work once and people always comment how it looks brand new and I tell them that's because it sits in the garage most of the time.
Old 10-21-19, 01:06 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts

I don't drive my SC daily because I don't have to and more importantly when I do drive it I want it to be special. I want it to be more about "man this is something special" kind of thing. I drive it once or twice a week depending on the weather maybe 20-25 miles total. If I don't drive it during the week I do enjoy walking out into the garage where it sits next the LS 460L and thinking what amazing blessings The Lord has provided to me that I truly do not deserve. I have that same kind of feelings when I wake up next to my wife of 51 years.

Dennis
The following 7 users liked this post by DJWLDW:
Born2saw (10-23-19), Clunky (10-21-19), jojogunne (10-23-19), JTho (10-21-19), riknchar (10-22-19), SethC (10-23-19), SierraFred (10-23-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-19, 01:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I drive mine pretty often and have put on 4k miles in 5 months since purchase. I'm sure this will go down a lot in the winter and when it snows. I don't daily drive it because my plug in hybrid tank average is 86 mpg for my office commutes. $28 gas can last me 1.5 months in my Optima. Hard not to love this savings.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-21-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 02:01 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't drive mine daily, but I don't let it sit for too long either because I want to keep the fluids moving.

Not driving it often just makes it even more special when I drive it. It's like rewarding myself.

The SC looks just like an art to me sitting in the garage.

I avoid driving my SC in the rain, snow or on hot days.
Old 10-21-19, 02:20 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by MH6878
I don't drive mine daily, but I don't let it sit for too long either because I want to keep the fluids moving.

Not driving it often just makes it even more special when I drive it. It's like rewarding myself.

The SC looks just like an art to me sitting in the garage.

I avoid driving my SC in the rain, snow or on hot days.
LOL. I like rewarding myself everyday. And so far, every time I slip behind the steering wheel it feels just as special as the time before. I hope that feeling never goes away. I have also found a new way to get a good spot free rinse. If there is a heavy dew on her in the morning, I wipe her down with a nice cloth and she makes me so proud. I actually think my girlfriend is a little jealous of that car.

Paul
Old 10-21-19, 02:36 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
LOL. I like rewarding myself everyday. And so far, every time I slip behind the steering wheel it feels just as special as the time before. I hope that feeling never goes away. I have also found a new way to get a good spot free rinse. If there is a heavy dew on her in the morning, I wipe her down with a nice cloth and she makes me so proud. I actually think my girlfriend is a little jealous of that car.

Paul
I would not be surprised if she is 😅. You should give her a rub down often too. Not to change the subject but there is a fantastic book called His Needs Her Needs building an affair proof Marriage. $11 on Amazon and you read it with your significant other. The only reason I mention this is because it was insightful for myself and my girlfriend in actualizing the knowledge that men and women do actually think differently. Our emotional needs are not the same. It's one thing to say this and it's another to really actualize this knowledge and put it into practice.

Very few women share the same passion for automobiles and engineering like men do. I mean just look at these boards... 99% men. But if your partner can appreciate this instead of getting jealous it leads to a much happier relationship. The opposite applies for us and women's needs which often revolve around intimate conversation, feeling loved and hugging, holding hands, familiar support, etc. Again, I'm not implying anything about you Paul just speaking from personal experience. Check it out if you are interested.

It is a beautiful car. I love driving mine as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-21-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 02:55 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I would not be surprised if she is 😅. You should give her a rub down often too. Not to change the subject but there is a fantastic book called His Needs Her Needs building an affair proof Marriage. $11 on Amazon and you read it with your significant other. The only reason I mention this is because it was insightful for myself and my girlfriend in actualizing the knowledge that men and women do actually think differently. Our emotional needs are not the same. It's one thing to say this and it's another to really actualize this knowledge and put it into practice.

Very few women share the same passion for automobiles and engineering like men do. I mean just look at these boards... 99% men. But if your partner can appreciate this instead of getting jealous it leads to a much happier relationship. The opposite applies for us and women's needs which often revolve around intimate conversation, feeling loved and hugging, holding hands, familiar support, etc. Again, I'm not implying anything about you Paul just speaking from personal experience. Check it out if you are interested.

It is a beautiful car. I love driving mine as well.
LMAO!!! I just thought of a new thread! Why I like my car more than my Wife/Girlfriend!

Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by Raven01750:
cfout (10-24-19), Lavrishevo (10-21-19)
Old 10-21-19, 03:09 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A 1%er here! DJWLDW, what a sweet comment!

Always admired this car. Couldn't justify spending the $ when it was new. Bought a new Audi conv instead.
Flash forward several years: the Audi was having repetitive issues no one could figure out. I was DONE and saw this 09 w/ 21K miles in an internet search close by in Laguna, CA. Had mechanic inspect and bought it.
Wouldn't you know, I then figured out the Audi's problem. It was already old but still a decent ride, but I wouldn't get much $ for it so I decided to keep her and drive til the wheels fall off (or the 2nd timing belt rplcmnt / whichever comes first). Then the SC will be driven more. I put on 8K in 2.5 yrs. on the SC. Two runs to Vegas. She's still under 30K miles.
Old 10-21-19, 05:39 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
LMAO!!! I just thought of a new thread! Why I like my car more than my Wife/Girlfriend!

Paul
This is a tough one. I love both equally. She allowed me to buy 2. She also has one. I'm a lucky man!
Old 10-21-19, 11:35 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

For past four years, I have added 8K miles to the odometer. I only drive mine on occasions like when we’re dressed up and going out for nice dinner on the weekend or heading to a special social functions. I really feel special sitting behind the steering wheel every time.
But that’s going change soon as I’m retiring from my current work in two months, then the SC will be my daily driving car.
I don’t think I will put more than 4K miles/year to her. At this rate, she will easily last another 20 years.
Old 10-22-19, 06:37 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Like Dennis, I'm blessed to have other cars (and motorcycles), so I don't put many miles on my SC430 (I've put about 7k miles in 3 years).

Every morning when I go to my garage to head for work, I get to pick between my SC430 (drive if it's sunny and warm enough for top down), my LS600hL (drive if it's too cold for top down, but still not rainy or snowy), or my 2018 Ram 1500 truck (drive if it's crappy weather out). My "stable" also includes 4 motorcycles (sport bike, cruiser, Goldwing, and Burgman) that I drive when the mood hits me. With this many options, none of my vehicles really get very many miles in any given year. Honestly, the nicest of all of these is the LS600hL, which I do try to drive as often as possible. But the SC430 can't be beat on a warm summer night on a date with my wife of 33 years (not quite as long as Dennis's matrimonial bliss, but still going strong!).
Old 10-22-19, 07:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My quest to own an LS is still burning. I will one day have an LS.
Old 10-22-19, 07:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
My quest to own an LS is still burning. I will one day have an LS.
Mandyfig: GO FOR IT! Prices on the 2008-2012 LS460s have plummeted, and this generation was really the last of the "understated" LS line (before the spindle grill monstrosity). There are plenty of nice used models to pick from, and the few problems this iteration did have (control arms, wind noise, etc.) have been sorted out already on many of these used examples. As smooth and quiet as the SC430 is, the LS is WAY quieter and smoother. I'm especially a fan of the LS600hLs, as they truly represent the pinnacle of Lexus goodness. While they are pretty rare, they are out there, and I can attest to what an amazing deal they can be! My 2010 LS600hL stickered at $125k, and I paid $27k for it last year (with 66k 1-owner miles and full Lexus service history). Mine has the Executive rear seat package, which is so cool! So like I said, GO FOR IT!

Quick Reply: Why don't you drive your SC?