SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TRD Door Stabilizer Brace

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 03:59 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts
Default TRD Door Stabilizer Brace

After reading this and some other ancient threads, I decided to give them a try:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...tabilizer.html

The main reason I was willing to try this was because in the Miata community, "Delrin door bushings" is a pretty popular mod to stiffen the chassis (same idea). I did that mod on the Miata and was pleasantly surprised that it was noticeable... Fortunately, it was only a $40 gamble on the Miata to the $120 for an authentic TRD part for this car, lol.

In the thread above they reference the part for a GT86 (FRS/BRZ), that part number is:
TRD Part #MS304-18001

There is also another model which is called the "common" type, which is for any car. They have a slightly different design. I just went with the GT86 one since that's what all the previous posts were about.

I didn't use any shims or anything like the first dude in Japan. I could always go back and add them later. It was a 15min install each side, if that. You need a T40 & T30 Torx and I used a plastic pry tool to take off the original cover. I gave it a nice rubdown with Shin-Etsu after the install too.

It definitely takes more pressure to close the door, it sounds snug. I haven't driven it yet as I have other projects in progress. I'll update when I do.

I got them here, best price I could find after scouring the internet for a price low enough to convince me to do this:
https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/produ...f96f65ef&_ss=r

I really like that from a distance, no one will ever notice them. Only a real car person would take note of the "TRD" logo on the door plate. Most of the pics of them online are up close, so they look like they would be very noticable, but they aren't in real life.
Attached Thumbnails TRD Door Stabilizer Brace-img_7418.jpeg   TRD Door Stabilizer Brace-img_7416.jpeg   TRD Door Stabilizer Brace-img_7419.jpeg   TRD Door Stabilizer Brace-img_7420.jpeg  

Last edited by joemg; 10-24-19 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Clunky (10-30-19)
Old 10-24-19, 04:03 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Nicely done!
joemg (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 05:37 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

It definitely will help make the chassis a little more rigid. I'm glad that your installation doesn't require any shimming like @rouge did.
Heck, even my cheap solution makes me feel better when I close the door.
Old 10-24-19, 09:12 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
It definitely will help make the chassis a little more rigid. I'm glad that your installation doesn't require any shimming like @rouge did.
Heck, even my cheap solution makes me feel better when I close the door.

Oh, I didn't realize that was his posts on the japanese site... I didn't read closely enough, I thought he was just linking to it.

The shims would probably help, maybe he'll see this thread and give a little more detail on his experience with washers and whatnot.
Old 10-25-19, 07:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Oh, I didn't realize that was his posts on the japanese site... I didn't read closely enough, I thought he was just linking to it.

The shims would probably help, maybe he'll see this thread and give a little more detail on his experience with washers and whatnot.
The price you stated includes the shipping to the US? Thanks.
Old 10-25-19, 10:53 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The price you stated includes the shipping to the US? Thanks.
No, shipping to CA was about $20US
Old 10-26-19, 08:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

So have you noticed any differences after you installed it? Does it make shutting the door any more difficult?
Old 10-26-19, 08:42 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
So have you noticed any differences after you installed it? Does it make shutting the door any more difficult?

I went for a drive yesterday, chassis stiffness is a hard thing to measure with your butt dyno.

You definitely have to get used to using a little more force to close the door.
Old 10-28-19, 04:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

More force to close the door means that there is a lot more contact between the body and the door and that's good thing. As mentioned it will be hard to fell the difference with or without the spacers. If you believe the testimonies from the owners who have them installed, then it is worth a try.

I think I am going in!
Clunky (10-30-19)
Old 11-12-19, 09:50 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I ordered these a few weeks ago and they arrived last week. Hoping to get them installed this coming weekend, but might not drive it for a while since our great Pacific NW weather is not cooperating...
Old 11-12-20, 12:07 PM
BlkSabbath
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the windows hitting/clipping the top when closing the doors. I recently had the car in the air doing work on it. It's sitting in the driveway on wheels that will not be used. In the market for new wheels and tires. Not sure if the car is twisted sitting in the driveway or if the doors need adjustment. Worried shutting the door may break a side window. Wondering if adding these TRD door braces would help with alignment.
Old 11-12-20, 04:53 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkSabbath
I noticed the windows hitting/clipping the top when closing the doors. I recently had the car in the air doing work on it. It's sitting in the driveway on wheels that will not be used. In the market for new wheels and tires. Not sure if the car is twisted sitting in the driveway or if the doors need adjustment. Worried shutting the door may break a side window. Wondering if adding these TRD door braces would help with alignment.
I'm not sure the stabilizers will solve the window/top issue.

FWIW, I finally installed mine this past June, right about the same time I upgraded the rear sway bar. So while I can't say how much the stabilizers contributed to the improved handling, I have zero regrets about buying them. Installation literally took ten minutes, extremely easy to do. I think the door takes a little more juice to close, but barely noticeable at best...

Good luck with the window issue!