Choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 06:43 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Choices

Which seems better?
1) 02’s around $14 w @100k mi - both mint w all service history and needed major maint already done on ALL the “big items” (eg TB/WP, PS Pump, Struts, Tie Rods, all new rubber seals, gaskets engine and tranny mounts etc) (abs red/ecru a 2nd owner - all dealer records - obsessive owner maintenance details every 6 mon.s

2) 02 Dark blue metallic over saddle w 98k mi for $9k also w TB/WP etc done (90k maintenance schedule done including water pump/belts/hoses/plugs with fluid changes, all rubber seals replaced on hood/trunk/doors) 2nd Owner past 12 yrs

3) 05 in Seattle Indigo/Ecru at 92k mi for $16k - also minty w all dlr updated maintenance records incl tb/wp etc But 5 owners

4) 07 in OK Blk Sapphire over Ecru at 72k for $18k - also 2nd Ownerand also dealer records w Tb/wp in past year or so

Rank em in order of preference considering cost/value

Last edited by jeffgwaltney; 10-27-19 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 09:23 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm....

1). 4
Like that it's an 07 after some updates occurred; love that color exterior but can be challenging to keep clean but oh so pretty. What color interior? Ecru? And less mileage.
2). 3
I favor mint...makes me think if they care for details than they will care for big things. But who knows.
3). 1
Again with the mint descriptor. Room to negotiate?
4). 2
Indigo / saddle is really nice. If it chks out at the mechanic, that could be a deal. How minty is it?

Do all chk out at a mechanic and are accident free? Will it be a daily driver?
I recall in my youth, shopping for a used convertible. I was a stickler for going with the least mileage and ended up with a lower mileage car in a color I loathed for 6 years.
I still prefer low mileage, but learned to not completely overlook the aesthetics of ext & int. You want to enjoy the car.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide,
Old 10-26-19, 06:49 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

Better? Thats a valid question although not really too much to go on here. They all are very fine cars so it depends on your driving habits I guess. The one thing not looked at here is the suspension of the various cars. Suspension repairs can be very pricey and at the mileage reported for each vehicle, strut replacement, control arm bushings and ball joints need to be checked. The repair of these componets can easily add up to 1000's of dollars. Also not mentioned are rubber seals. Anything else like vacuum, emission and cooling hoses can be delt with easily in an afternoon for a few hundred dollars.

"I" would look at the #2 02 as my first choice because of mileage/price. Anything outdated can be upgraded for fairly cheap like the stereo system to a newer model year system and added Bluetooth and the forum has a huge amount of data on suspension upgrades if you are an aggressive driver. The end gets you a fantastic car, better than factory as far as handling and performance.

Second would be #4 due to updates to the transmission (6 speed vesus 5 speed) mileage and factory suspension upgrades.

Third would be #1 due to price.

Fourth #3 because it is basically the same as the 02 due to the 02-05 being the same with the exception of suspension upgrades.

Just an opinion of course. Exterior/interior color is always an individual choice. I have an 02 with the Midnight pine and Saddle combination. Love how it goes from a deep forest green to black depending on lighting conditions. Took my car guy neighbors two weeks to figure out she wasn't black! LOL.

Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 10-26-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 07:30 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 481 Likes on 355 Posts

4, 2, 1, 3.

Dennis
Old 10-26-19, 12:14 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Default Update

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
4, 2, 1, 3.

Dennis
Just spoke w Owner of one of the Red/Ecru 2002 w 103k mi

Great guy and he’s obsessive in a good way about his Maintenaince and upkeep - has done EVERYTHING within past year (Tb/wp, all rubber seals and gaskets, engine and treatment mounts, new suspension parts...everything
Paint is mint never accident and all even minor dings removed professionally - this is his garage queen and gets driven maybe 3k/yr - he bought fr original fr lady buyer fr JM Lexus and has owned since 48k mi the past 10 yrs

heres what he said:
”near showroom condition, never seen ice or snow. Always garage kept and never smoked in. The SC430 had been babied and serviced by a perfectionist owner. The vehicle is close to new, the only 2002 I've personally seen in similar condition. paint reflects like a mirror, the creme interior near perfect. There's not a single door ding. I updated with Bluetooth for smartphone connectivity.

new MICHELIN tires, and OEM 2012 Chromed SC430 upgraded wheels. The battery is brand new. All preventative maintenance has been done, including: timing belt, valve cover gasket, radiator, steering pump, engine and transmission mounts, synthetic oil, hoses, and new struts and tie rods. Said last year he spent almost $7k at the Dealer doing anything and everything Dealer recommended

Said It drives like new. and he has owned the car for 10 years, driven low miles locally. The first owner purchased at local Lexus dealer. Has all books and records. fully detailed in and out every 6 months and looks outstanding.

So folks... is this rare type 2002 specimen worth $14k? (realize that’s prob a 2-3k premium for 02 but very few cares for like this)

Old 10-26-19, 01:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

With the previous owner being obsessive and attentive, it is a good car to get. I can't speak that much to the price, but it is probably worth a little premium to obtain a car that has been babied like that.
Old 10-26-19, 07:06 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

I would go for it. 103 K miles is nothing for the SC. With that records and babied, you can not really go wrong. Red color is rare to come by and looks real good with the top down. Couple thousand dollars extra is offset if you have to do all the maintenance that the owner had done.
Only thing makes it better if it’s an 06+
Old 10-26-19, 07:17 PM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would definitely get the Absolute Red one.

Put all those cars next to each other and Absolute Red stands out from them all

just my opinion...
Old 10-26-19, 08:02 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Thx to all - awaiting to see if VA seller of the 02 blue/ecru 98k mi.s asking $ 9k returns my call to provide details - and if so, what the ext int condition and level of maintenance done (how thorough beyond Tb/wp) Their ad says they are a 2nd Owner for 10 yrs and done all preventative maint specifically...”This car has had 100K maintenance schedule done including water pump/belts/hoses/plugs with fluid changes ($2300) - all rubber seals replaced on hood/trunk/doors $800 -new airbag from recall - new Black Lion tires $650 - Body in good shape - Sept Inspection - second owner x 12 yrs.”
But...No way they are as obsessive and diligent or their 02 w 98k mi as mint or taken care of to the level of the red FL 02 102kmi asking $14.9k - can tell that FL Owner is special and someone who cares about SC like this community of Owners does

So...seriously considering the 02 absolutely red/ecru as extremely rare to find a 2 Owner this condition and w obsessive maintenance- most good 02’s prob at least $12-13 w either none or at most the typical Tb/wp changed, but this one truly mint ext/int and owner spared no expense at JM Lexus for all maintenance - Tb/wp, pow steer pump, fluids flushed, all rubber seals and gaskets, struts, even engine and tranny mounts - really everything that makes an 02 w 102k mi a “brand new 02” mechanically with ZERO dents, nor even a ding and glossy red with well conditioned ecru leather also reconditioned w zero cracking

She sports new MICHELIN tires, and OEM 2012 Chromed SC430 upgraded wheels. The battery is brand new. All preventative maintenance has been done, including: timing belt, valve cover gasket, radiator, steering pump, engine and transmission mounts, synthetic oil, hoses, and new struts and tie rods.

i didn’t (and don’t) think of myself as a “flashy red car” guy but w the SC it’s almost like a classic Vette or Jag such beauty that hopefully it doesn’t make me one of “those Ferrari red” kind of guys - (like to “keep it classy San Diego as Ron Burgundy would say&#128526

your advice and opinions are extremely helpful to a novice like myself; esp when Ill also have to spend $800-$1000 to get it shipped fr Boca Raton to Nashville

But fr my (pretty thorough) research here and all sale sites on any SCs 06+ with 75-100k mi, it seems to indicate that an 06+ is $4-5k more than $14k (closer to $17.5-19k and more - and even then after a $18-$20k purchase, the 06s are now ready for much of the needed maintenance that’s already done on this 02

So to get a great 06+, at $18-20k then put the needed maint $$ into a 06+ of say $2-3k counting Tb/wp struts, rubber pieces etc, seems likely closer to $22-24k when bought and all maint done on an 06+ - so prob closer to $10k more than this mint 02 w all maint done and aged parts replaced?

i had focused on 06+, but really w SCs it is most moot to find a loved and maintained minty specimen and be flexible on year and color combo - when cars are this age, being “well lived and very well cared for” counts for a lot and as you said certainly worth 1500-2000 more when it means you have to do ZERO except oil etc for another 90-100k mi

am I thinking rationally and analyzing correctly - or am I overlooking something - feel free to correct me as I know you’re objective experienced and wise ; a helpful thing when considering a purchase like this
You gentleman and ladies are really a great group! Honored to be here and hopefully can join as an owner soon

Am going thru very tough times currently and past few years w Alz/dementia caring for Dad, and we lost mom a few yrs ago on Easter to ALS after15 years of helping Dad care for her in their home til day she passed Easter 2015 -

So though SC not a cure for the bad times life throws at us , I could def use some enjoyable weekend special top down cruising w my better half of 32 yrs come Nov 14

Last edited by jeffgwaltney; 10-27-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 08:08 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Default Pics 02 SC

He has had it detailed every 6 mon then he personally applies 2 coats wax and spray details in between

note the “garage door bumper guard” to protect opening doors
The following users liked this post:
JTho (10-26-19)
Old 10-27-19, 09:05 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-27-19, 09:49 AM
VVTiBob

Received 272 Likes on 204 Posts

The only vote against it I guess comes from me, a 02 owner myself. If you purchase this, what looks to be pretty much pristine 02, you are giving up all the improvements made by Lexus‘ real world experience as well as the mid-cycle refresh in 2006 and later. You’re also purchasing, at a premium if you plan on paying full asking price, a car that’s approaching 20 years old, not a classic and not appreciating in value ....yet.

Even well maintained car parts fail. For example, without any warning in 2012 my extended warranty paid for itself with a $5500 sliding roof dealer repair bill. At the time, from my car’s born on history, (a hand built in March 01) only had 55,000 miles. My point is you never know for certain.

Others here have mentioned, and I also agree and believe, the SC430’s are very reliable well engineered machines. But the 02 was not only a first year model, but had significantly more cars produced then other years. Both a positive and negative. Positive for finding second hand parts available. Negative for the model year rarity, especially for paying a premium. For the car’s current owner it may have been worth the investment at dealer prices, but for future value, currently not so much for the next 10-20 years as “new” replacement parts become more difficult to locate.

With all that said and digested do what makes you happy. As you mentioned life throws some very difficult situations and choices at us. How we persevere says something about us. We also know life is precious and short when it comes to enjoying our retirement years. Weigh the pros and cons then choose and don’t look back.
Old 10-27-19, 10:08 AM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The only vote against it I guess comes from me, a 02 owner myself. If you purchase this, what looks to be pretty much pristine 02, you are giving up all the improvements made by Lexus‘ real world experience as well as the mid-cycle refresh in 2006 and later. You’re also purchasing, at a premium if you plan on paying full asking price, a car that’s approaching 20 years old, not a classic and not appreciating in value ....yet.

Even well maintained car parts fail. For example, without any warning in 2012 my extended warranty paid for itself with a $5500 sliding roof dealer repair bill. At the time, from my car’s born on history, (a hand built in March 01) only had 55,000 miles. My point is you never know for certain.

Others here have mentioned, and I also agree and believe, the SC430’s are very reliable well engineered machines. But the 02 was not only a first year model, but had significantly more cars produced then other years. Both a positive and negative. Positive for finding second hand parts available. Negative for the model year rarity, especially for paying a premium. For the car’s current owner it may have been worth the investment at dealer prices, but for future value, currently not so much for the next 10-20 years as “new” replacement parts become more difficult to locate.

With all that said and digested do what makes you happy. As you mentioned life throws some very difficult situations and choices at us. How we persevere says something about us. We also know life is precious and short when it comes to enjoying our retirement years. Weigh the pros and cons then choose and don’t look back.
All good points; thanks - I may be letting my “desire” for an SC color my thinking; don’t want to lose rationality if 02 wrong year. Perhaps best to take a breath and not get in too big a rush. would love a great 06+ but seems hard to find at reasonable price and great condition
Old 10-27-19, 11:28 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The only vote against it I guess comes from me, a 02 owner myself. If you purchase this, what looks to be pretty much pristine 02, you are giving up all the improvements made by Lexus‘ real world experience as well as the mid-cycle refresh in 2006 and later.
Bob, which refreshes are you talking about? There is the six speed tranny. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the five speed. I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference while driving.

Suspension upgrades which can be had fairly cheaply compared to oem. Members already have solid information about adding upgrade sway bars, coilovers etc for those that desire a more sporty handling.

Bluetooth can be easily added too with a later model ML sytem for just a few hundred dollars or as you did, upgrade it entirely to an aftermarket system.

Headlights and taillights? The change in look was so minor as to be almost unrecognizable unless you really knew what you were looking at .

So what am I missing? What major differences are there that would make you wish you had bought an 06 rather than an 02? Figuratively speaking of course.

Paul
Old 10-27-19, 12:32 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive both the 05 and 07. It seems to me like the 05 is peppier.

I like the 02-05's more round-looking headlights, which add to the overall shape of the car. Headlights for the 02-05 are cheaper too.

Quick Reply: Choices