SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Remote Engine Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 08:36 AM
pjbsc430
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remote Engine Starter

I have had a remote engine starter installed in my car, there is a separate remote for it. Is there any way of converting it to the original remote? I have seen threads where the original was used, unfortunatly I had the unit installed before I noticed the thread.
Old 08-28-03, 01:20 AM
JJRHO
Driver

Default remote

yeah, on my 02 SC, my guy here in so.calif. designed a timing circuit that ties into the factory alarm/remote FOB.... i just press my 'alarm off' button for 3 seconds and the thing opens or closes by it self....
also, he made it so that my alarm ON button , when pressed 3x within 4seconds, starts my engine. it turns off in 15mins. or if you try to drive it w/o the key in the ignition.

i'm going to have the nav. screen connected to a dvd/tv tuner as well soon with him...

let me know if i can help....

j.rho
jjrho@adelphia.net
Old 09-04-03, 06:19 PM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Default Can you let us know where you had this done?

I have seen the posts on Luxurymotorworks, but most of those were by a guy who seems to be connected to them. Would love to have this done but don't know where to take the car.
Old 09-04-03, 10:31 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default mods

call steve larkin there and talk to him. he probably can help you get his equipment installed at a shop near you..
j.rho
Old 09-05-03, 12:17 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, jjrho. I bought my car from Longo...could take it down when there when I get the 30 day service. A remote top control sounds very cool.
Old 09-05-03, 10:56 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default remote start

hi,
i would call steve and take it to his shop ....not longo.... they may charge more....

it is a very nice feature ..... i walk up to the car and push the button.... nice show w/o being in the car....

btw, how do you like your tires? i need to tires soon.. my oem RFTs have 30K and they have another 30K probably if it werent for the inner treads scrubbing out severey/disproportionately...

i hate the ride and noise however....
looking for quiter performance tires... non RFTs probably...

i 'll just carry a plug/patch kit and plier (to take the nails out) and a compressor....

j.rho
Old 09-06-03, 12:09 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Default re non runflats

I don't just like the Michelin's, I love them. I almost didn't buy the SC because all the cars I test drove wore Bridgestone RFs which I believe totally destroy the quality of this car. The Michelin's are much smoother (no bumping like a buck board), much grippier (yes, you can feel it) and much quieter (no thump thump). Plus they have a cool looking tread pattern and my past experience with Michelins is they last very well (had a different model on my BMW X-5 which went 65,000 miles before replacement. ). The Michelins do squeal once in awhile (hard braking or accelerating, albeit with VSC on), this may be a result of them being new (425 miles on car so far). the SC still doesn't handle like a Porsche, but at least it finally rides better! I found it disconcerting in test driving that the Carrera could not only way out handle the Lexus but had a smoother ride too. The Pilots have levelled the playing field considerably.

It sounds like there are other good non-RFs out there, but you can't go wrong with the Pilot Sports. I read comments in this forum and comments and tests on The Tire Rack before telling my dealer to put these on the car to make the sale. I am currently running without a spare. Figure in the last ten years I've had one tire failure (nail in the sidewall on the X-5 when it was new completely destroyed the tire in highway speed blowout, I had picked the nail up on a construction site -SC's never going there- and if there was a slow leak I didn't notice it) -I have the pressure sensor's connected to my Pilots- and several dealers told me that Lexus Road Service will solve my problem if I do have a flat -obviously not as fast as changing myself, but...have hesitated to carry fix-aflat because I read in one thread here that it may destroy the pressure sensors. I am sure that the pliers and a small compressor are good ideas (although they wouldn't have helped on my X-5 blow out). Am thinking about a small spare to throw in the back seat for long trips. What are other's experiences? The spare tire conversion doesn't seem like a good option.
Old 09-07-03, 08:29 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default micheline tires

thanks for your comment... which specific mich. are they? i mean, do i just call and order pilot sport from tire rack with the sc size???

i agree.... even though i had a nail reently on mine, the sensor went off at 26# and i was able to pull the nail out with a plier and i plugged it ... no problems....

i'm plannind on carrying a plug/patch kit/plier/smaller compressor in the back... no spare tire deal....

i have 30K and the original RFTs are AWEFUL !!!
watch for wear on the inside track/fronts..... rotate w/ every oil change if you can....

J. Rho
Old 09-07-03, 08:49 PM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

There are three Michelin Pilots: regular (summer) Pilot Sports, Pilot Sports AS (all season) and Pilot Alpins (winter). Mine are the regular tires. I understand that the AS's are also quite good, but in southern Cali I would go with the ZR rated regular summer tires. Size is 245/40-18 with standard wheels. I'm thinking about changing my wheels but haven't decided.
Old 09-08-03, 09:35 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default pilot sport

thanks for your info...
i'm gonna order a set... is tire rack the best for price?

which wheels have you looked at? i wouldn't mind new rims but i'm definitely going to make sure that , if i do get new rims, the new rims would be able to take the orig. lexus pressure sensors....

there's a guy on ebay selling some nice 5 spoke OEM lexus rims... looks pre nice....

search for sc430 rims... you will see.....

jim R
Old 09-09-03, 07:39 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

JJRHO,

I shopped 10 different places for Pilot Sport A/S and TIre Rack was easily the cheapest. HRE 500 series wheels will work with the run flat sensor (in the valve stem), in case your interested. I ordered the 540Rs and while the run flat sensor doesn't work in the valve stem, they will "band" the sensors to the wheel so I can still have the run flat sensor function. Just letting you know some of the experience I've gained in the last month or two. L-sportline model IVs work with RF sensor as well. Just my two cents worth.

Doc C