SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC Air Bag Recall Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 07:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Dennis, Glad you got such great service at your Lexus dealer! They sure charge a lot for their work, so I avoid them in general for everything except warranty repairs, but it's always a great experience when I do go to my local Lexus of Omaha dealership. I enjoy getting a new loaner car to try out also. When I get back in my 2010 LS600hL, I'm usually very happy to own it vs a new ES (that's what I normally get as a loaner). I'm fortunate to have TWO Costco's within 20 minutes of my home here!

I just had my first TPMS sensor wear out on my LS600hL. I suppose 9 years is about how much time to expect from them. I'm going to let my local Discount Tire shop replace the bad TPMS and get it programmed to my car. They charge $60 for the service. I'm tempted to have them change all 5 sensors, as the other ones will likely be dying soon also... I'm sure Lexus would charge significantly more for OEM TPMS sensors! Any thoughts from the forum on this issue?
i purchased the OEM TPMS sensors and had Discount tire install them.
check Rockauto.com for denso OEM TPMS sensors for your LS.
i think I paid $15 per tire labor.

BTW, I am beginning my search again for a nice LS460L
executive package would be awesome but they are rare
Old 11-08-19, 07:52 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 481 Likes on 355 Posts

Rick

Yes I know you have 2 Costco's in Omaha within 20 minutes you do not need to rub it in. The one on Dodge is the one we used when ever we were in Omaha visiting the sisters

BGW70

So what color did you get? I just went to rockauto and they have: White, Blue, Red, Yellow. What's the difference?

Dennis
Old 11-08-19, 08:09 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i purchased the OEM TPMS sensors and had Discount tire install them.
check Rockauto.com for denso OEM TPMS sensors for your LS.
i think I paid $15 per tire labor.

BTW, I am beginning my search again for a nice LS460L
executive package would be awesome but they are rare
BGW, I was somewhat tempted to purchase the TPMS sensors via Amazon and just have Discount Tire install them and sync them to my car. I believe this is the correct OEM sensor (Denso) from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

However, this wouldn't save much money after paying for installation, and I've heard others complain that lots of these TPMS sensors have been sitting for a long time before being sold, and die fairly quickly. Discount Tire guarantees their sensors will last at least 5 years, and at $60 each including installation make a fairly compelling value...

Am I missing something? How much did you have to pay to purchase the OEM Lexus TPMS sensors? Thanks!
Old 11-08-19, 08:13 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Rick

Yes I know you have 2 Costco's in Omaha within 20 minutes you do not need to rub it in. The one on Dodge is the one we used when ever we were in Omaha visiting the sisters

BGW70

So what color did you get? I just went to rockauto and they have: White, Blue, Red, Yellow. What's the difference?

Dennis
Dennis, Sorry to rub it in! ;-)

And by the way, happy upcoming Veteran's Day! Thanks for your service!
Old 11-08-19, 08:27 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Rick

Thanks, the same to you.

BGW70 based on the part number Lexus of Tulsa installed yesterday and the part number on Rockauto I have the Red TPMS sensors. I still do not know/understand what the difference in the colors are. I do know that had the Service Manager not stepped up the part was $116.00 plus tax so the rock auto price is looking pretty good. The best I can tell from the service history is that one of the TPMS sensors on the front and one on the back was replaced on 04/08/13 at 50,095 miles so both of the rears have been changed in the last 6 years.

Dennis
Old 11-08-19, 12:23 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 168 Posts

BGW, I was somewhat tempted to purchase the TPMS sensors via Amazon and just have Discount Tire install them and sync them to my car. I believe this is the correct OEM sensor (Denso) from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PHJDIO9N&psc=1

However, this wouldn't save much money after paying for installation, and I've heard others complain that lots of these TPMS sensors have been sitting for a long time before being sold, and die fairly quickly. Discount Tire guarantees their sensors will last at least 5 years, and at $60 each including installation make a fairly compelling value...

Am I missing something? How much did you have to pay to purchase the OEM Lexus TPMS sensors? Thanks!
That is not the correct sensor for the 02-06 SC430. If that is car you are referring to.
Old 11-08-19, 01:51 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How many more recalls?

The passenger airbag recall was performed 2 years ago, again this May and I just got another notice in the mail from Lexus begging me to bring it in for yet another inflator recall.

What gives? Anyone else have this experience?

PS
My wife has the same recall notice for her 2013 MB GLK 350. MBUSA does not stock the parts because they don't feel it is a threat even though this is a NHSTA or whatever identified recall. Remember the Pinto debacle?
Old 11-08-19, 01:56 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

ilomaster

I think Rick was taking about his 2010 LS600HL.

Dennis
Old 11-08-19, 02:36 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Just dropped off my white SC430 to the dealer for
a 2nd passenger recall airbag . When I dropped the car
off, I notice there were at least 5 other SC430 waiting
for some work To be done. I imagined it must be airbag
related. The SC 430 really stands out at the dealership
as all the new L has now the spindle grill .

Our SC430 is truly iconic and very classy these days
next to the new Lexus .

Old 11-08-19, 04:41 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

BGW, I was somewhat tempted to purchase the TPMS sensors via Amazon and just have Discount Tire install them and sync them to my car. I believe this is the correct OEM sensor (Denso) from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PHJDIO9N&psc=1

Be sure that DT installs the OEM sensor, not their generic sensor. Their generic sensor will not be recognized by the TPMS. Also, they most likely cannot program the sensor to the car, as they don't have the proper tool. Be sure to quiz them on this first and make them look it up. If you have a Techstream, you'll be able to program it to the car. (Been there, done that. Had to program it myself, after having them replace the generic sensor with OEM.)
Old 11-08-19, 07:16 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Jonas's RX

3rd picture down is the same Tiger Eye Mica color as our 2006.

Dennis
Old 11-08-19, 07:35 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey DJ

Your TEM is really a nice looking color and stand out
in the crowd! There are still no other car I want these
days other than maybe an LC500 when I retire in a few
years from now but for sure the SC430 will stay in my
stable.

I am not exactly thrilled with a “ 2nd airbag “ recall
but it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11-09-19, 06:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

And probably 0 out of 5 reset the seats so the memory function would work again. They didn't on mine.
Old 11-09-19, 07:14 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

They didn't on mine either. But they give a full tank of gas.

Dennis
Old 11-09-19, 06:27 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Lavrishevo

Yep a bullet hole. It must have been shot from a long ways away because it only went through the outside skin and did not penetrate the interior of the car.

Dennis
I don't think this tops "your" loaner car with a bullet hole but when my SC was being serviced at the Lexus dealership in Smyrna, GA they also gave me a NX 300 as a loaner
and that evening as the wife and I were coming home from playing pickleball, a huge Deer ran into the Driver's side quarter panel doing some significant damage. After getting
the police report we were very lucky to be able to drive the car home (it was about 2-3 miles) and the dealership sent someone the next day with a flatbed to pick it up. Ended
up costing me my $500 insurance deductible. Better the loaner car than my SC.

Quick Reply: SC Air Bag Recall Experience