Let's talk about Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 10:07 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

It's a shame this is discontinued:
https://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/i...S147&fromlink=

The night pager bracket allowed UCF30 (LS430) rear calipers, which are 43mm x 2 piston (like our original front calipers) monoblocks with the 12.7" supra rotors.

While 35mm vs 43mm doesn't sound like a lot, It's about a 23% increase in braking force (not including any benefit from a slightly larger rotor).
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about Big Brakes-screen-shot-2019-11-16-at-10.35.58-am.png  

Last edited by joemg; 11-16-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 12:40 PM
joemg
Instructor

The LS460 front calipers arrived today.

The black is the AWD (N18) LS460, the gold painted ones (previous owner's paint, soon to be removed) are the LS400.

The LS400 brakes were massive, but the 460's are absolute units. They're so big it makes me nervous about fitting in oem wheels, but I have 30mm RCA blocks and 20mm spacers on the front wheels so it shouldn't be an issue.

I can't believe how they dwarf the LS400 brakes! And the 14.2" IS-F rotors are going to look fantastic with them!

I'll post a pic of the XAT brackets at some point, they look really nice, I think they're steel and not aluminum, they were nice and beefy when I opened the box to look at them.

With a car as heavy as the SC, I feel like you really can't overdo the brakes. Now I'd just like to find a rear solution that matches the fronts a little better, even though our rear brakes are pretty good stock.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7498.jpeg   Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7499.jpeg  

Last edited by joemg; 11-16-19 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemg:
digitatc (11-16-19), KingReyes (12-19-19)
Old 11-16-19, 03:57 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

With only 50k miles on the LS460 set I don't think you'll need to rebuilt it. What color are you going to paint/power coat with?
Even though the SC430 is small convertible car, it's heavy so the big brake upgrade will help stopping the car a lot quicker.

Anyone wanna buy my Supra TT brake kit?
Old 11-16-19, 04:29 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
With only 50k miles on the LS460 set I don't think you'll need to rebuilt it. What color are you going to paint/power coat with?
Even though the SC430 is small convertible car, it's heavy so the big brake upgrade will help stopping the car a lot quicker.

Yeah, they're probably in even better shape than my current calipers, lol. I'm going to clean it up and see how the matte grey looks, if I don't like it, I have a high-temp semi-gloss black I'm going to use on the LS400 calipers that I can spray them with. You can't even really see them with the wheels on so I'm not going to go crazy.

The ebay seller had pics of the crashed car with the odometer and gave the VIN, which showed up on several auto auction sites with the same mileage and similar pictures. Seems like they're legit, very fast shipping too, their seller ID was "augustpohlautoparts".

LOL, we're going to flood the market with Big Brake Kits between your supra setup and my ls400 setup, lol.

And yes, despite its svelte appearance, all the hardtop hardware adds a ton of weight. I think it's something like 3800-4000lbs. There are lighter SUVs, lol.

Last edited by joemg; 11-16-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-17-19, 01:48 AM
joemg
Instructor

So I'm not sure how repeatable this is, but I found brackets from japan on yahoo auctions for the Aristo (same setup as ours).

It allows the LS430 rear calipers (2x43mm pot) with TT Supra rear rotors (324mm).

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...FtQllxWWRzcg==

I spent more hours than I would care to admit trolling crooooomber, aleado, and buyee searching words that came up in poor translations like "caliper diversion." There were quite a few maybes that popped up. Either whole kits I didn't need, or really expensive brackets that weren't terribly clear about what they did. If you really want to find them, you probably can. They were really popular in Japan at some point it seems like.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by joemg; 11-17-19 at 02:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KingReyes (12-19-19)
Old 11-17-19, 11:17 AM
joemg
Instructor

The LS430 rear calipers are dirt cheap on ebay, but for about $30 more than some old mystery set, Rockauto has POWER STOP S276 remanufactured "high performance" calipers ($170 for the pair):

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

Features & Benefits:
Electrostatic high-heat powder coating helps to resist corrosion and extends the life of the calipers while giving your vehicle a performance look
All calipers are 100% pressure tested and thoroughly inspected for quality and safety
Includes all new bleeder screws, hardware & pins
High temperature EPDM rubber for extended life
Premium Silicone lubrication provides smoother operation

The only annoying part is they're powder coated fire engine red (not for me)... so it looks like I'll be painting all the calipers black.

I went with Centric Premium rotors which are fine (and also really cheap at $45/each), but it's worth noting that if you don't wanted slotted/cross drilled, there's not a ton of solid rotor choices for the supra rears anymore.

I've been exchanging emails about rear options with XAT/Suprastore, I'm going to see if they have any interest in duplicating these brackets for production. I'm going to offer to send it to them so they can scan it or take measurements if they want since they're actively looking to offer a rear option to match their fronts.
Old 11-19-19, 08:21 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

My research showed that the racing teams that raced sc430’s used stock brakes,

replacing the pads with Akebono ceramics on the fronts only so far really made a noticeable difference.

same on our ls460. Race brakes.

replaced the brakes on my super duty truck with specific Akebono ceramics and it’s totally a different truck.

Just saying
Old 11-19-19, 10:48 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
My research showed that the racing teams that raced sc430’s used stock brakes,

replacing the pads with Akebono ceramics on the fronts only so far really made a noticeable difference.

same on our ls460. Race brakes.

replaced the brakes on my super duty truck with specific Akebono ceramics and it’s totally a different truck.

Just saying

What kind of racing? Were they limited by a specific class to certain parts? I know with Miatas, a lot of people do SCCA solo/SPEC Miata, but you can't modify a lot of things or it puts you in a different class.

Also, how much weight reduction was done to these cars?

Are you saying a 4 piston caliper with a larger rotor isn't going to stop better than a 2 piston caliper with a smaller rotor? Because there's an entire BBK industry that would probably not exist if that were true.

I'm not sure this is really an apples to apples comparison... how many times do you slam on your brakes to a dead stop in a race?

If you have any links to the racing data you mention, please post it so we can take a look and see what they're working with.
Old 11-19-19, 12:04 PM
S2kstephen
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc

If you're serious about selling your TT brake setup, shoot me a message.
Old 11-20-19, 02:51 PM
joemg
Instructor

If anyone is interested in top-notch OEM rear brakes in SoCal, my loss is your gain:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/932091
Old 11-27-19, 12:48 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
The LS460 front calipers arrived today.

The black is the AWD (N18) LS460, the gold painted ones (previous owner's paint, soon to be removed) are the LS400.

The LS400 brakes were massive, but the 460's are absolute units. They're so big it makes me nervous about fitting in oem wheels, but I have 30mm RCA blocks and 20mm spacers on the front wheels so it shouldn't be an issue.

I can't believe how they dwarf the LS400 brakes! And the 14.2" IS-F rotors are going to look fantastic with them!

I'll post a pic of the XAT brackets at some point, they look really nice, I think they're steel and not aluminum, they were nice and beefy when I opened the box to look at them.

With a car as heavy as the SC, I feel like you really can't overdo the brakes. Now I'd just like to find a rear solution that matches the fronts a little better, even though our rear brakes are pretty good stock.

Any updates on the install?
Old 11-28-19, 07:55 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by toantran99
Any updates on the install?
Here's a pic of the XAT brackets and the ones I found in Japan.

I sprayed the calipers black. My paintwork is not very good but I did my best. Luckily it's just black so it hides imperfections well.

Install will be a little while, I'm shipping the Japanese brackets to XAT so they can see if they're interested in making a LS430 rear kit for our cars to match the LS460 front.

The XAT brackets are steel, so I'm going to give them a spray as well to prevent rust.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7518.jpeg   Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7521.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
KingReyes (02-10-20)
Old 12-06-19, 08:48 AM
Suxel831
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of the XAT brackets and the ones I found in Japan.

I sprayed the calipers black. My paintwork is not very good but I did my best. Luckily it's just black so it hides imperfections well.

Install will be a little while, I'm shipping the Japanese brackets to XAT so they can see if they're interested in making a LS430 rear kit for our cars to match the LS460 front.

The XAT brackets are steel, so I'm going to give them a spray as well to prevent rust.
is the LS460 rear caliper a no go option? I plan to tackle the same project and just bought the LS460
Front and rears on ebay. And planning to buy a
used rear spindle hub so i can have a machine shop fabricate a bracket.
Old 12-06-19, 10:35 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suxel831
is the LS460 rear caliper a no go option? I plan to tackle the same project and just bought the LS460
Front and rears on ebay. And planning to buy a
used rear spindle hub so i can have a machine shop fabricate a bracket.

Which rotors were you planning to use? The 460 is a different bolt pattern, so you won't be able to use it's rotors. You're better off going with the 430 rears if you can, since they're 2 x 43mm pistons and the 460 rears are 2 x 38mm (our stock rears being 2x35mm). The brackets I bought are in XAT's hands now, you may want to hold off to see if they decide to reproduce something similar.
Old 12-06-19, 04:12 PM
Suxel831
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which rotors were you planning to use? The 460 is a different bolt pattern, so you won't be able to use it's rotors. You're better off going with the 430 rears if you can, since they're 2 x 43mm pistons and the 460 rears are 2 x 38mm (our stock rears being 2x35mm). The brackets I bought are in XAT's hands now, you may want to hold off to see if they decide to reproduce something similar.
I'm still doing some research on it. I see that stoptech has BBK fronts and backs for our cars, I was thinking if the rear rotors from that kit would work.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about Big Brakes