SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's talk about Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20 | 01:34 AM
JMal
Driver

Hi joemg, I may need to modify my fender liners to accommodate larger tires and spacers. Do you have images of the fender liner trimming and/or can explain how to trim or remould the fender liners?
The following users liked this post:
BlkSabbath (03-12-21)
Old 05-09-20 | 08:54 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMal
Hi joemg, I may need to modify my fender liners to accommodate larger tires and spacers. Do you have images of the fender liner trimming and/or can explain how to trim or remould the fender liners?

I'll see if I can take some pics. I didn't do the trimming myself, I took it to SoCal Suspension here in San Diego to do the fender rolling and they did the trimming as well.

What size/offset wheels/tires? Are you lowered? There's a lot of space in there to start with.
Old 05-09-20 | 09:01 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by joemg
I originally wanted 295, but kind of lucky I couldn't find them in the tire I want since this setup just barely fits without rubbing now, and there isn't any more rolling/trimming to be done without real body work.

That's a very good question, I've made so many changes and haven't really been driving it a lot because I didn't want to wear the brakes unevenly until I got the new calipers in there.

I should reset the computer and see where it averages out to now. I think the LSD brought it down, but the intake manifold/exhaust brought it up (if you don't get pedal happy), I think the brakes/wheels/tires made it go up too (likely from the big weight reduction on all of it). That's my anecdotal observation from the limited driving I've done. I'm supposedly having it tuned in May, so maybe I'll report back before that happens on mpg.

Also, I would be willing to bet mpg varies drastically whether you drive with the top up or down because of aerodynamics, especially on the highway. This car is very aerodynamic with the top up, I think it has something like a .31 drag coefficient (for reference, a Prius is something like .29), but I assume that's with the top up. No idea with the top down.

Not that I've been driving much, but it looks like it averages around 24mpg if I drive modestly... drops down around 22 if I open it up a lot. It's hard to resist, lol. I bet you could average 25 out of it if you were highway commuting every day and driving modestly.
digitatc (05-09-20)
Old 05-09-20 | 02:52 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Not that I've been driving much, but it looks like it averages around 24mpg if I drive modestly... drops down around 22 if I open it up a lot. It's hard to resist, lol. I bet you could average 25 out of it if you were highway commuting every day and driving modestly.
You drive a hybrid?
The freeway is empty and I got 18mpg.
Old 05-09-20 | 03:02 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
You drive a hybrid?
The freeway is empty and I got 18mpg.
LOL... My guess is that despite the LSD, the extrude honed intake manifold and full exhaust increase efficiency quite a bit if you can resist enjoying it. Also I dropped a ton of unsprung weight from aluminum monoblock calipers, rotary forged wheels, and summer rubber (not sure if the rubber is actually any lighter). Maybe some minor aero gains from the 30mm drop.

I wonder if my coilovers will be lighter than the stock suspension, anyone know the weight of the stock setup?

Also the 6spd supposedly gets better gas mileage than the 5spd, can't remember which you have.
Old 05-09-20 | 03:19 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Could be the light weight. If anything I dont think I lose any weight for my set up, in fact I probably gained some weight due to the additional sound deadening on the floor and doors.
Lighter wheels, lighter calipers but bigger tires even out.
Also I have a 5speeds. After the trans pressure mod now it shifts much quicker and I think it helps the gas mileage as well. The 285 rear tires probably make it even worse.
Oh well, car drives smooth, gas is so cheap and freeway is empty so enjoy driving while we can. (Stop and go traffic in the Bay Area sucks)
Old 05-09-20 | 03:58 PM
joemg
Instructor

Could be the light weight. If anything I dont think I lose any weight for my set up, in fact I probably gained some weight due to the additional sound deadening on the floor and doors.
Lighter wheels, lighter calipers but bigger tires even out.
Also I have a 5speeds. After the trans pressure mod now it shifts much quicker and I think it helps the gas mileage as well. The 285 rear tires probably make it even worse.
Oh well, car drives smooth, gas is so cheap and freeway is empty so enjoy driving while we can. (Stop and go traffic in the Bay Area sucks)

yeah, who knows... Loving the gas prices right now (and the lack of traffic). I think the Bay Area gives LA a run for its money in terms of bad traffic in normal times.
Old 05-09-20 | 05:17 PM
JMal
Driver

Hi Joe, wheels are 18x8 ET35. Vehicle is not lowered, but when the wheels are turned almost full lock, the tire is pretty close to the back part of the fender liner.
Old 05-09-20 | 06:45 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by JMal
Hi Joe, wheels are 18x8 ET35. Vehicle is not lowered, but when the wheels are turned almost full lock, the tire is pretty close to the back part of the fender liner.
....with that size wheel & offset, you shouldn't have any issues
Old 05-29-20 | 10:22 AM
joemg
Instructor

The saga continues... This is the project that keeps on giving.

So while installing the coilovers I see the 2 brand new power stop rear calipers are leaking.

I just emailed powerstop to have them replaced under their 3yr warranty.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7924.jpeg   Let's talk about Big Brakes-img_7923.jpeg  
Old 05-29-20 | 01:34 PM
digitatc
Instructor

they probably forgot to torque that bolt.
Old 06-04-20 | 10:47 AM
joemg
Instructor

BIG WARNING:

Buy these powerstop calipers at your own risk! They only have a 90 day warranty and powerstop says they can't do anything about it because I bought it from Rock Auto and they get fined if they help me and circumvent Rock Auto.

I pleaded with a manager at powerstop to do the right thing and replace them since they failed in such a short time (6 months), she's going to escalate to the owner but she said it wasn't likely because of the deal structured with Rock Auto.

I asked if there was any way to get a human on the phone at Rock Auto and she said there isn't, they're just an online business.

If they won't do the right thing I will be finding low mileage OEM ones like I did for the front. Don't be fooled by all the "remanufactured with high performance seals" bull**** powerstop is pushing with these calipers. What an absolute ripoff.
Old 06-04-20 | 11:46 AM
digitatc
Instructor

That sucks. Before you run out and buy another calipers, I suggest tighten that bolt? I can't find the torque number anywhere on my manual.
Old 06-04-20 | 12:04 PM
joemg
Instructor

That sucks. Before you run out and buy another calipers, I suggest tighten that bolt? I can't find the torque number anywhere on my manual.

Can you tighten those big hex bolts? I was thinking it was the seal that was bad, but I don't really know anything about the internal workings of calipers.

I'm filling out a complaint on the better business bureau as we speak to see if I can get them to replace the calipers since they were clearly defective from the factory. I installed them on 1/27/20 and they have less than 3000 miles on them, probably closer to 1500-2000.

When I'm done I'll see if I can find any data on those bolts and torque specs.

What sucks is even if I could stop the leak, it ruined the paint job on them. What a pain in the ***.
Old 07-15-20 | 02:18 PM
TitanG545
Driver

BIG WARNING:

Buy these powerstop calipers at your own risk! They only have a 90 day warranty and powerstop says they can't do anything about it because I bought it from Rock Auto and they get fined if they help me and circumvent Rock Auto.

I pleaded with a manager at powerstop to do the right thing and replace them since they failed in such a short time (6 months), she's going to escalate to the owner but she said it wasn't likely because of the deal structured with Rock Auto.

I asked if there was any way to get a human on the phone at Rock Auto and she said there isn't, they're just an online business.

If they won't do the right thing I will be finding low mileage OEM ones like I did for the front. Don't be fooled by all the "remanufactured with high performance seals" bull**** powerstop is pushing with these calipers. What an absolute ripoff.
Doing research on brakes and came across this thread, I have powerstop brakes I believe on my Tundra. Thinking back on them I am not really impressed with the stopping power or the quality on them. I don't drive the truck that much so they don't get much wheel time, however, they still aren't at the level I expected. Stoptech seems to be who I will go with.
joemg (07-15-20)

Quick Reply: Let's talk about Big Brakes