SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Android in stock monitor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 11:20 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone know how to connect to ml head via CD?
Old 11-27-20, 11:58 AM
2006SC430
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by evgeniy
Does anyone know how to connect to ml head via CD?
I am using a VAIS interface to tie in my Android, which seems to emulate the 'CD-mode'.
Old 11-27-20, 02:05 PM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2006SC430
I am using a VAIS interface to tie in my Android, which seems to emulate the 'CD-mode'.
I mean aux mod directly to head
Old 11-28-20, 02:12 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

You could always hook it in like I did https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...s-at-last.html

Then, I leave the original head unit in CD mode to signal the ML amp to use CD audio processing mode.
Old 11-28-20, 01:32 PM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
You could always hook it in like I did https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...s-at-last.html

Then, I leave the original head unit in CD mode to signal the ML amp to use CD audio processing mode.
If i do it like you I'll lost radio function, because it will be always connected to android head. Do any switches or nonstock buttons not my way. I would like to connect it inside ml head. If anyone knows how to do it please write it here.
Old 11-29-20, 07:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by evgeniy
If i do it like you I'll lost radio function, because it will be always connected to android head. Do any switches or nonstock buttons not my way. I would like to connect it inside ml head. If anyone knows how to do it please write it here.
There is the Aux audio input, but I suspect that is not what you are looking for. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...aux-input.html
If you are going to go that route, be sure to use the interface matching circuit that RetroPlay suggests, otherwise there will be too much loss in your signal.
Old 11-29-20, 08:10 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

The DPST switch in my mod isn’t THAT horrible for re-enabling the stock head unit audio. Hidden in the console box. I get full quality audio with CD mode audio processing for cheap.

Your Android has a radio tuner. Any reason you want to use the ML head unit tuner?

If we had head unit schematics we could hook in an input after the DACS but then you’re into circuit board trace cutting and adding level matching components.
Old 11-29-20, 09:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Maybe this document will help you. I also have a pdf of the Pioneer SC430 Audio System Head Unit service manual but it is over 6MB and so is too large to post here. It covers the models FXMG8217ZT/UC & FXMG8217ZT-91/UC and it has schematics of the headunit as well as component breakdown. PM me if you'd like a copy and provide your email address.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Radio Wiring Diagram.pdf (38.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-29-20, 09:27 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Harold57, I sent you my email.

I can take a look at the schematics of the radio and see if I can find the DAC audio output pins and trace them to a place that can be intercepted for signal replacement.
No guarantee of finding something usable, but I'll take a peek.
Old 11-29-20, 01:14 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

RetroPlay's thread has that in it somewhat. I haven't checked out the schematic myself but I imagine that it is fairly evident, especially if you use the components that are spelled out in the thread. I'll shoot it your way.
Old 11-30-20, 02:16 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Harold57
There is the Aux audio input, but I suspect that is not what you are looking for. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...aux-input.html
If you are going to go that route, be sure to use the interface matching circuit that RetroPlay suggests, otherwise there will be too much loss in your signal.
i got now that aux mod, but i don't like to use cassette in 2020))) it will be great to make aux via cd player.
Old 11-30-20, 02:25 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Harold57, I sent you my email.

I can take a look at the schematics of the radio and see if I can find the DAC audio output pins and trace them to a place that can be intercepted for signal replacement.
No guarantee of finding something usable, but I'll take a peek.
May be it will help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-30-20, 04:35 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

I looked at the schematics posted by Evgeniy and it was helpful.

1. Retroplay's mod 3 pin connector shows up as CN300 in the schematics rather than CN302 in Retroplay's thread picts. The R L G signal connectors on CN300 tie into the TAPE audio input lines. This explains why his connection scheme doesn't get full CD quality signal processing. It really is injecting into the cassette audio input.

Also, the main board layouts definitely differ between the generations of head units. For instance, Evgeniy's schematic and board layout of a pict in Retroplay's thread differ, but you can find the equivalent connectors.

2. I see where the CD left, gnd, and right signals are on main board's ribbon connector CN303 pins 1, 2, 3 respectively. That is where I would solder the input lines for "CD" input signal L, G, and R lines.
Easiest is if the CD input can still function if the ribbon connector can be complete disconnected. Otherwise, it would require cutting traces to disconnect the actual CD play's L and R signal lines.

Cautions is that there would be no anti-static discharge diodes on such an input and impedance matching may need correction.

Schematic showing injection points in green and possible trace cuts as red X's is meant only to illustrate electrical, not actual physical points. Equivalencies injection points appear to be available a short distance away from the connector at some solder pads.

Alternative would be to do equivalent on the CD board end of things rather than on the main board. At any rate, I would not attempt this unless you are comfortable with modifying PC boards.

I will not attempt to teach how to follow PC board traces, work out their relationships to the schematic, cut traces or attach fine wires to existing traces.

At any rate, there does seem to be reasonable poinst at which to replace the CD player's audio signals.

Meanwhile, the Binize 7 inch Android 10 unit, with built in wireless CarPlay, I was considering has gone out of stock at Amazon.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 11-30-20 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 08:29 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Last file was manual for Europe head, now it is for US and Canada.
Attached Files
Old 11-30-20, 08:36 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

CD board looks to have same circuitry. If mod on CD board then I think it would be same as prior post.

Main board also same arrangement at ribbon connector.

Personally, I think it is a lot less invasive to do it on the exterior L+/L- and R+/R- like I did, but if one was forced to do it internal to the head unit, I'd probably do the mod on the CD board rather than the main board.

Quick Reply: Android in stock monitor