SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looks like it might be bye bye SC430 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 11:39 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Looks like it might be bye bye SC430 :(

Well, to make a long story short, it looks like I might be selling my beloved SC430 after my big out west road trip with it.... Unless something happens on the trip to make me rethink the whole thing and figure out I'm best off with the SC instead of the Porsche (one car has got to go).... ....I love the SC430 for what it is but driving the Porsche just puts a bigger grin on my face... If only.... sigh....

Well, I have about 5 to 6K miles to have the SC430 change my mind so-to-speak.... ...and maybe after a ride in Gene's TEINed SC430 I'll get the best of both worlds (I can hope)... but we shall see....
Old 08-28-03, 01:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ceboyd-
Let me know how it goes in Gene's car. I'd like to hang onto my SC430 as well, but I'm putting a deposit down on a G35 Coupe (Yes, SexySC. I did it.) and may be bidding adieu to the SC as well. No comparison in the luxury quotient, but the G is just a lot more fun to drive. Since this is just a pleasure car, I don't need all the bells and whistles... just some down n' dirty fun. Good luck on the trip, and again, let us know the outcome!

DSeag2
Old 08-28-03, 01:48 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

Good idea to get that fun out of your system - I did, and now in my advancing years, I'm really enjoying the luxury and comfort of my SC.(But I still wish the SC had a manual transmission).
Old 08-28-03, 02:35 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Old 08-28-03, 05:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

dseag2,when do you expect to take delivery of your G35? For me, its late October at the earliest.

The G35 coupe will be a replacement for my CL-S. I'll keep both the SC430 and the G35 coupe until the end of 2005 at the earliest, when I'll be trading one of them possibly for the redesigned LS or GS.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-29-03 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-29-03, 07:32 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

SexySC-
With any luck, I should take delivery some time in October. However, the dealer says the car I want is like "finding a needle in a haystack." (Diamond Graphite/Graphite/Premium/Wheel Pkg/Aero Kit/Satellite Radio) There's really no hurry, so I'm willing to wait.

I'd love to keep both cars, but since I also have a QX4 as a daily driver I really don't need the expense or have the space to keep 4 cars. (We also have an RX300 in our household.) "Esmerelda" (my SC430) will be traded in, and this may very well be the first time I CRY when I let a car go.

At the risk of drawing criticism and starting a long debate, I really wish Lexus would dial up the handling/performance quotient. This is my 3rd Lexus ('99 SC300, '01 GS300 L-Tuned, '03 SC430), so I am definitely a fan, but I just want a little more excitement. I love the performance of the German cars... I actually took a break from Lexus to try an '02 A6 4.2... but I don't want to deal with the reliability/service issues that go with the territory.

A couple of years ago there were no viable options for me other than Lexus, but now that Infiniti is coming on strong with new products that are attractive, reliable and more performance-oriented they have my attention. I've read that they may bring an upscale V-8 coupe to the states within the next couple of years. If they do, it will probably be peformance-oriented, and I'll be the first in line to buy it.

IMHO, nobody does LUXURY, FIT, and FINISH better than Lexus... but I just need a little more right now. I know Lexus was targeting an "older" demographic when they launched the SC, but lately I've seen more people my age (30's/40's) driving them. Consider this... even Mercedes, which has been somewhat conservative over the years, is busy cranking out AMG versions of the SL while Lexus is releasing "Pebble Beach" editions! C'mon... give us L-Tuned or SportDesign! There are younger people who can afford your cars!

Sorry. I'll get off the soapbox now.

DSeag2
Old 08-29-03, 07:51 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dseag2
SexySC-
, and this may very well be the first time I CRY when I let a car go.

At the risk of drawing criticism and starting a long debate, I really wish Lexus would dial up the handling/performance quotient. so I am definitely a fan, but I just want a little more excitement. I love the performance of the German cars... I actually took a break from Lexus to try an '02 A6 4.2... but I don't want to deal with the reliability/service issues that go with the territory.

DSeag2
DITTO!!!!! Thus the Porsche will probably win the 'staying' debate.. UNLESS the Tein's on Gene's car rock my world because I LOVE my Sirius on the SC430 along with the overall fit and finish, comfort inside, etc. etc... EVERYTHING BUT the handling basically... almost a bit to 'old' for me.... like someone who likes a Caddy ride (BUT that is because I'm used to german suspension and my winter car (a VW Beetle) has H&R Coilovers.... need I say more?)
Old 08-30-03, 06:28 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dseag2
SexySC-
With any luck, I should take delivery some time in October. However, the dealer says the car I want is like "finding a needle in a haystack." (Diamond Graphite/Graphite/Premium/Wheel Pkg/Aero Kit/Satellite Radio) There's really no hurry, so I'm willing to wait.

Dseag2,

I saw that exact G35 Coupe at Jim Bullard Infiniti in Mobile, Alabama when I was picking up my FX45 for my wife last week. you can look them up on the internet and see if they still have it. I think it had satelite, I know it was DG/G and definitely had the aerokit and premium package My salesman was Mike McVay. They gave me a pretty good deal on the FX. I don't know where in FL you are though, so it might be too far. Was only 2 hour drive from New Orleans.

Good luck,

Fulmitz

Last edited by fulmitz; 08-30-03 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 06:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Fulmitz. I appreciate the lead. The dealership I'm working with has treated me very well since I bought my QX4 there, so I'm going to stick with them. I also like the fact that delivery could be 2 months away. It gives me time to come to terms with letting go of the SC430, along with a few weeks of top-down motoring if the weather ever cools off!

I'll still be lurking around the CL forum. It's the best forum I've come across... with the best group of people. And once a Lexus fan, always a Lexus fan! Who knows... if they hit a home run with the new GS, I may be back soon.